Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by louie-m
Sorry, I did mean "and get a refund of the avios and taxes, fees and charges for the return less the change fee", which I didn't make clear and which Jerry has clarified.

Anyone know about downgrading and thus getting at least some of the avios back?
Are there reward seats in WT for you to downgrade to?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by KARFA
Are there reward seats in WT for you to downgrade to?
Yes.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Slliw
Hello fellow flyers, does anyone know how often BA open up Avios redemptions for F? I know CW is guaranteed 2 per day and F isn’t guaranteed but when F does show up is there a method to the madness? I.e does F get released at midnight or can it be sparadoic throughout the day? Just need any idea based on peoples previous experiences.

For some context I’m looking for F from LHR to LAS for the 17th sept. I currently have it booked in J
As you’re on 2-4-1 you’re relying on 2xF opening up at the same time, not too likely. If one becomes available, you can’t grab, and someone else probably will. If you’re flexible you may get lucky on a day when there’s the two 744 flights
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
As you’re on 2-4-1 you’re relying on 2xF opening up at the same time, not too likely. If one becomes available, you can’t grab, and someone else probably will. If you’re flexible you may get lucky on a day when there’s the two 744 flights
Deleted
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I'm currently at my destination, so have used the outbound leg of the 2-4-1. Now having second thoughts about the return. Can I:

- cancel it (I think not) (edited to add "and get something worthwhile back")

- downgrade from Club to WT and get a refund of the difference? (I did think I could but I read something I can't now find on here which made me wonder whether that was right)
Surprise, surprise - BA CS tell me that we can downgrade but we won't get any avios back.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Surprise, surprise - BA CS tell me that we can downgrade but we won't get any avios back.
To be fair the reward booking terms do say:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions

16.4. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward itinerary.
17.2. If flight bookings for Reward travel on British Airways or on flights operated by an Airline Partner are cancelled by the Member within 24 hours of departure, Avios points in respect of the Reward will not be re-credited to the Member. In the event a Member is prevented from travelling by an Event Beyond Your Control, such Member’s Avios points will be refunded provided that the Member has an unused Reward, has informed British Airways promptly, provided evidence of the event if requested to do so, and paid the applicable fee specified on Ba.com.
So if you try and change or cancel a return reward booking once you have already flow the first flight unfortunately no refund of avios is due.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:07 am

A quick one for you experts. I see availability for an outbound but not an inbound (all within the 364 day cut off) can I book an outbound only with the voucher then add an inbound when/if availability opens up, or should I book an outbound and any inbound now (even if it's not the right dates) and then when availability comes up closer to the dates I need for the inbound, cancel the inbound and rebook. Or to do that would I need to cancel the whole thing and rebook? Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
A quick one for you experts. I see availability for an outbound but not an inbound (all within the 364 day cut off) can I book an outbound only with the voucher then add an inbound when/if availability opens up, or should I book an outbound and any inbound now (even if it's not the right dates) and then when availability comes up closer to the dates I need for the inbound, cancel the inbound and rebook. Or to do that would I need to cancel the whole thing and rebook? Thanks
You can do it either way. (In the latter fashion you aren't cancelling the dummy inbound, you're merely changing its date.) I would probably just book the outbound online as a oneway 241 but the considerations that may sway are:

Option 1: You'll have to call to add the return. If you spot something a midnight you can call USA/Japan, but I assume you aren't going to be checking in the middle of the night for weeks and weeks. The inbound is more flexible this way if you'd consider alternative routing. They waive the £35pp change fee if you are adding an inbound that was originally out of range, but I don't know for sure about your case, within range.

Option 2: You can change the date of your inbound online (unless the website fails, but on a simple return it should be fine) but you will be charged the £35. You can also change the route of the inbound by phone, but less flexibly.

The issue of routing is a bit grey and may not be relevant in your case. In theory once booked you can only change to the same zone. If you book the dummy inbound from MCO (op2), you could switch that to MIA but not to NYC; whereas if you hadn't booked an inbound (op1) you have a free choice of open-jaw inbounds. That said, to hedge myself again, we've seen some get away with zone changes. Related, if you never found a suitable inbound but wanted to keep the outbound, you can't remove the dummy inbound (op2) except by cancelling the whole thing.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:08 am

Thanks so much Paul, once again you rock!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Upgrade?

There are lots of rumours about BA downgrading people on Amex 2-4-1, but do they ever upgrade people on 2-4-1?

I ask as I've booked WTP from LGW - GND next summer, and it looks like it will be an old 777, as still showing as 9 across in Y so hoping for an upgrade. It's a day time flight and we are both silver so have lounge access already so didn't see much value in spending the extra Avios so WTP seems to make sense. Saving the Avios for CW or F next time seem a better use. It's the other half's birthday when we are flying if that makes any difference at all for upgrades...
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by barneyb
There are lots of rumours about BA downgrading people on Amex 2-4-1, but do they ever upgrade people on 2-4-1
I got a J to F upgrade for my wife and I going from London to Los Angles this year on a 241. Never been downgraded.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by barneyb
There are lots of rumours about BA downgrading people on Amex 2-4-1, but do they ever upgrade people on 2-4-1?

I ask as I've booked WTP from LGW - GND next summer, and it looks like it will be an old 777, as still showing as 9 across in Y so hoping for an upgrade. It's a day time flight and we are both silver so have lounge access already so didn't see much value in spending the extra Avios so WTP seems to make sense. Saving the Avios for CW or F next time seem a better use. It's the other half's birthday when we are flying if that makes any difference at all for upgrades...
Lots of rumor, and rumour that is void of fact. We only know of a couple or so examples where this has happened. Downgrades are very rare.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I got a J to F upgrade for my wife and I going from London to Los Angles this year on a 241. Never been downgraded.
Good to know it's not out of the question - doubt it will happen but nice to be able to hope. Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:51 am

We just returned today from our first 241 redemption, CW out to Mexico City and home in F. F was full on the way back, not sure how busy CW was.
No hint of a downgrade and fantastic flights in both directions with wonderful crew. Our first flights in any premium cabin and I can't see how we can go back to the back of the plane now!
Tobias-UK and JayeJ like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Added a bit of info to the section about when does the voucher show up in my account, information received directly from American Express live chat agent.

Once a Card Member qualifies, we compile a list of eligible Card Members (monthly) and send it to British Airways (can take 3-5 days). British Airways advises the Card Member of their e-voucher / Companion Ticket via mail within 10-15 days.

The e-voucher / Companion Ticket shows online for a period of time to redeem, when the Card Member logs onto their Executive Club (Avios) account at ba.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.