Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Corpt
I know the companion can't travel without the cardholder. If we are on an itinerary MAN-LHR-LAX-LHR-MAN and both passengers fly the first three legs, but the cardholder tries to skip (not board) the final LHR-MAN leg, what happens to the companion who has boarded that final leg?
I did this recently getting myself offloaded from the lounge. It was a issue I knew might happen and we checked all the luggage in the companion's name before we left on route back to the UK. Was not an problem.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I did this recently getting myself offloaded from the lounge. It was a issue I knew might happen and we checked all the luggage in the companion's name before we left on route back to the UK. Was not an problem.
Good to hear. Thank you.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This is a great resource, thank you to those who have contributed. I've read through and seen this question come up a few times, but as I am looking to book my first 2-4-1 soon, I'm just interested to know a bit more about the practicalities.

It seems to the best way to "guarantee" the dates you want is to book at T-355 by booking the outbound online at midnight when the flight becomes available for booking and there should be at least two reward seats available.

The part I'm less clear about is getting the return flight. It sounds like this can be done over the phone at T-355 (either from same airport or open jaw) but have you not essentially used up your voucher in booking the initial outbound? How do they know there is still a 2-4-1 element left to be used up? It feels like if I were to do this, the agent would say "Yes sir, that will be X thousand pounds sir".

Presumably if you just state you booked a 2-4-1 booking online and would now like to add the return, they would immediately know what you're talking about and there would be no fee or charge to do this other than the taxes etc for the two tickets?

I'm a bit cynical but it all seems a bit easy to get exactly what you want when everything I've read up until now says you need to be very flexible!
Old May 23, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackcarr

Presumably if you just state you booked a 2-4-1 booking online and would now like to add the return, they would immediately know what you're talking about and there would be no fee or charge to do this other than the taxes etc for the two tickets?
That's correct.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT jackcarr yes - midnight (or 1am depending on time of year) you call back to add the two Reward seats on to your original voucher! It can be quite stressful if you've got no plan B or can't do any other dates as it's fastest finger first, which can be very sought after on Cape Town, Sydney etc.

Make sure the seats are held instantly on getting through, then explain about the voucher already in play - should be easy enough for them to see. I've had some excellent easy examples, and a coupe of disasters, whereby I had to do the same again 24 hours later! Good luck and report back
Old May 29, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
If we've flown the outbound but neither of us can now fly the return, what, if anything, do we get back if we cancel?
Old May 29, 2017, 10:21 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
This was our 3rd 2-4-1 and by far our most stressful to book. In the past I looked at availability and based our trip around that, booking both legs myself. Those were off season trips, and this was for next April/May when reward seats in F were much scarcer. Not only did we end up booking outbound first with agent assistance on the return but we ended up flying from/to alternative US cities. Which is ironic, because we started flying BA originally because they were the only International airline flying direct to Europe from San Diego and we were tired of flying out of LAX. But our certificate was expiring and we didn't want to waste it.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by louie-m
If we've flown the outbound but neither of us can now fly the return, what, if anything, do we get back if we cancel?
Unfortunately your 2-4-1 won't get re-issued. Also you wouldn't get the avios back, although I think you should get some refund of taxes and fees.

There is a section in the terms which does say:

In the event you are prevented from travelling by an Event Beyond Your Control we will refund your Avios points provided you have an unused Reward, have informed British Airways promptly, provided evidence of the event if requested to do so and paid the applicable fee specified on ba.com.
And Event Beyond Your Control - means unusual and unforeseeable circumstances which you cannot control and the consequences of which you could not have avoided even if you had taken all reasonable care.

Just thought I would mention it in case it applies.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by jackcarr
This is a great resource, thank you to those who have contributed. I've read through and seen this question come up a few times, but as I am looking to book my first 2-4-1 soon, I'm just interested to know a bit more about the practicalities.

It seems to the best way to "guarantee" the dates you want is to book at T-355 by booking the outbound online at midnight when the flight becomes available for booking and there should be at least two reward seats available.

The part I'm less clear about is getting the return flight. It sounds like this can be done over the phone at T-355 (either from same airport or open jaw) but have you not essentially used up your voucher in booking the initial outbound? How do they know there is still a 2-4-1 element left to be used up? It feels like if I were to do this, the agent would say "Yes sir, that will be X thousand pounds sir".

I'm a bit cynical but it all seems a bit easy to get exactly what you want when everything I've read up until now says you need to be very flexible!
Yes a lot of people do sucessfully book this way. Just remember that only two guaranteed seats are released in club for each flight at 355 days before departure. Therefore there can be a lot of other people that can be trying to get the same availability as you, this is why parience and flexibility are required. To your other question yes change booking agents are familar with adding return flights to Amex bookings!
Old May 30, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: BA, DC, IC
Using 241 4 month gap on return leg

Hi All
I've used the 241 many times, however I do have a question. I'm planning on an outbound to the USA in July 18 (next year)my travel plans mean that I would end up returning to the UK from the Far East in August therefore won't be booking a return. I plan to be back in the states in October 18 and want to use the return leg then.

The question is, is there any reason I can't use the return leg in the October as I've already been back to the UK in August?

Last edited by mycity68; May 30, 2017 at 12:18 am
Old May 30, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, VS Red, AMEX Plat Plus
Hi everyone,

ive used numerous 241s on long haul flights, but now have a voucher that's expiring in September and I'm unlikely to be able to use it for a long haul flight. What is the best way to use it for a short haul redemption to maximise its value? I'm open to different destinations (although looking for beach and sun if possible) and obviously I understand it is availability dependant. Looking to use it between end of June and end of September. I have 160k avios.

Thanks

Last edited by deno86; May 30, 2017 at 12:19 am Reason: Additional info
Old May 30, 2017, 12:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Is there any leniency in extending the 2-4-1 by 6 or even 3 months? Would really help me take family for xmas away, as my current one expires beginning of December.(bad planning on my part!)
Old May 30, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Is there any leniency in extending the 2-4-1 by 6 or even 3 months? Would really help me take family for xmas away, as my current one expires beginning of December.(bad planning on my part!)
Sadly the answer is no. THe vouchers used to have a one year validity and that was extended IIRC about five years ago to two years. But they will not extend it any further and TBH that is IMO fair.

PS Above applies to the premium card, the ordinary card is one year IIRC.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mycity68
Hi All
I've used the 241 many times, however I do have a question. I'm planning on an outbound to the USA in July 18 (next year)my travel plans mean that I would end up returning to the UK from the Far East in August therefore won't be booking a return. I plan to be back in the states in October 18 and want to use the return leg then.

The question is, is there any reason I can't use the return leg in the October as I've already been back to the UK in August?
So you want to book UK->US in July 2018, and US->UK for October 2018, and travel in between? Yes that's fine. BA/Amex won't care that in between you have been all over the place
Old May 30, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, DC, IC
Originally Posted by KARFA
So you want to book UK->US in July 2018, and US->UK for October 2018, and travel in between? Yes that's fine. BA/Amex won't care that in between you have been all over the place
Thought that would be the case, many thanks KARFA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.