Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old May 5, 2017, 3:17 am

Quick question - does it need to be an AMEX issued card, or is a bank issued AMEX OK?

Q: Does cancelling my BA American Express card mean I will lose the voucher? Does downgrading my BA American Express Premium Plus card to the Classic card mean I will lose my voucher?
A: No. Contrary to what American Express will tell you, you will keep the voucher if you cancel the card entirely, and similarly your voucher will retain its two year validity if you downgrade from the Premium Plus card to the Classic Card. Remember though that you will need to pay the taxes and fees on an American Express card, so it may be worth asking to downgrade the Premium Plus to the Classic card for this purpose if you don’t hold another Amex.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flashware
Quick question - does it need to be an AMEX issued card, or is a bank issued AMEX OK?
Must be an Amex-issued Amex as far as I know.

EDIT: Have just seen @ScubaRoo comments above that suggest even an MBNA-type Amex would be OK. I can't say I have tried this though...
Old May 5, 2017, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by flashware
I think, based on previous comments, it's an American Express card full stop. Would be good to get firm confirmation from someone who has actually used an MBNA/Lloyds issued Amex though.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by obduro
I think, based on previous comments, it's an American Express card full stop. Would be good to get firm confirmation from someone who has actually used an MBNA/Lloyds issued Amex though.
Agreed. I had always understood it was generally accepted that although the BA card itself was not required for payment, it did still have to be an Amex-issued Amex card.

Many thanks for taking the time to put this together by the way @obduro ^
Old May 5, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by Lawro

Many thanks for taking the time to put this together by the way @obduro ^
I live to give.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:27 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned upthread but the very useful FAQs refer to seats being released at midnight.

Might be worth clarifying that it's midnight GMT which means that at the moment it's actually 1am for folks in the UK.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC
AX 241 Open Jaw redemption?

We're looking to do LHR BA NRT//ICN BA LHR early next year with Miles and an Amex 241 voucher. Where and how is the best way to book this?
Old May 5, 2017, 11:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Have a look at the guide http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscussion.html

You will need to call to book that one.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:56 am

We did this same itin two years ago. As KARFA said the open jaw redemption for Amex 241 has to be done by calling BA. Check for availability on the first leg (outbound), call BA and book it. Then check again for availability on the second leg (inbound) and ask BA to add it to the first - so everything is on one PNR. However, if your dates are available now, then just tell BA which flights you are after and they can book everything in one go for you.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

All of the information you need is in the thread KARFA linked to, which is also in the forum dashboard.

You have already missed the boat with booking the standard 2 J seats that are released at T-355 so you will need to monitor availability and call to book as and when they come up.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
A really wonderful thread- thanks so much for all of the helpful info.

I have successfully booked 2 of these already but for some reason
it seems more difficult this time.

The dates I would like re coming up soon so I tried
a few "practice bookings"

My questions:

1. I understood from the Wiki that we could
snag our outbound and then call in for our inbound later-
but the mobile app at least, will only find seats when I book as roundtrip If I select my certificate and choose 1 way I get a red alert saying they don't fly that route (I've tried several different cities to London and get the same message). Any idea why? Will I be able to first book just my outbound?

2. I realized today that although I believed I had sufficient Avios in our account for RT First Class West Coast to LHR that I had priced at off peak. Just in case I want to transfer more in- can you confirm how many more I would need?

Thank you !!!

Last edited by damon88; May 5, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Old May 6, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by damon88
A really wonderful thread- thanks so much for all of the helpful info.

I have successfully booked 2 of these already but for some reason
it seems more difficult this time.

The dates I would like re coming up soon so I tried
a few "practice bookings"

My questions:

1. I understood from the Wiki that we could
snag our outbound and then call in for our inbound later-
but the mobile app at least, will only find seats when I book as roundtrip If I select my certificate and choose 1 way I get a red alert saying they don't fly that route (I've tried several different cities to London and get the same message). Any idea why? Will I be able to first book just my outbound?

2. I realized today that although I believed I had sufficient Avios in our account for RT First Class West Coast to LHR that I had priced at off peak. Just in case I want to transfer more in- can you confirm how many more I would need?

Thank you !!!
1. What route is it you are trying to book? If checking as a return works you can simply call and book the one way if you want.

2. You'll need to specify what route you are looking to book as it may differ. Generally off-peak it's 85,000 Avios per person, per flight (so a total of 170,000 Avios return per pax).
Old May 6, 2017, 8:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thank you for replying- I reinstalled the app and it worked

I wanted SAN-LHR but ended up booking Houston instead because the SAN seats seem much harder to get this time. This will be our third 2-4-1 and it seemed much easier to secure FC seats in the past. The difference may have been flying more off season.

Inbound looks more attainable so I will keep my fingers crossed.

It was 85000 today and we will also need LHR-VIE and GVA-SAN so it looks as if I will need
145000 more.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:37 am

first post Is this ok for a 2 4 1

I have been reading through all the posts and wiki's and think this is possible but would like to check. I have booked a 2 4 1 from BHD to Sydney Aust. (one way) for next April. The London to Sydney stops in Singapore. My question is will I be able to book a one way from Singapore back to Belfast using the same 2 4 1 when suitable flights become available.
thanks in advance
Old May 7, 2017, 5:00 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rufusrea
I have been reading through all the posts and wiki's and think this is possible but would like to check. I have booked a 2 4 1 from BHD to Sydney Aust. (one way) for next April. The London to Sydney stops in Singapore. My question is will I be able to book a one way from Singapore back to Belfast using the same 2 4 1 when suitable flights become available.
thanks in advance
this is classified as an Openjaw routing and you can do this. I just finished LHR-SCL, LIM-LGW on a 2-4-1 no problem.

I did book this all at once though, but don't see it being a problem booking the return back calling up later and stating you wish to now add an open jaw return to your 2-4-1 booking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.