Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card

This thread is for discussion of, and questions about the British Airways American Express Companion Voucher.

@:-) The British Airways American Express Companion Voucher entitles you to receive a second seat for a companion on the same flight as you and in the same cabin when you make a reward booking on a British Airways mainline flight with a BA prefixed flight number (but not on flights operated by franchisee, codeshare or alliance airlines). All you’ll have to pay is the taxes, fees and charges for you and your companion’s tickets.

The Wiki will be regularly updated with questions and answers as they come up, but if you have any particular questions that haven't been answered, please feel free to post and someone will be along to help.

clairyd1102 likes this.

Last edited by obduro; Apr 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Wow fantastic work !
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Wow fantastic work !
This is your thread now
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Great work, obduro! Thank you very much; I think this will be a great addition to the resources here.

I've taken the liberty of tinkering a bit with a few points, which I hope are both accurate and helpful:-
  • Clarified the position for Premium Plus Card members using two vouchers at the same time
  • All outbound travel (not just the first sector) must have been completed by the voucher expiry date
  • If a one-way booking has been completely travelled, an inbound flight cannot be added to the booking
  • Reinforced that "same flight for all" applies to Premium Plus Cardmembers using two vouchers at the same time
  • Inbound travel can take place after voucher expiry date, but must be within ticket validity (normally one year from the date of outbound travel AIUI)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Really helpful Globaliser, thank you - would rather it be accurate as you say, otherwise it becomes less useful!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Great work. Think it would be useful to clarify the rules surrounding the use of the voucher when the card/voucher holder is in a household account.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Great work. Think it would be useful to clarify the rules surrounding the use of the voucher when the card/voucher holder is in a household account.
Is this the piece around the companion needing to belong to the household account?

Added "If you (as the Cardmember who earned the voucher) are part of a BA Household Account, then both you and your companion must be members of the Household Account, or be on the 'Friends and Family' list that is attached to it." to the bullet points...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by obduro
Is this the piece around the companion needing to belong to the household account?
I was thinking more in terms of 'if the voucher holder is in a household account do their travel companions also need to be part of the same household account?' I thought I read that they do but haven't found the evidence to support this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
I was thinking more in terms of 'if the voucher holder is in a household account do their travel companions also need to be part of the same household account?' I thought I read that they do but haven't found the evidence to support this.
This does appear to be the case but it was a hoop to jump through that I wasn't previously aware of. I've added a FAQ on this as the simplest option is to add the companion to your Family and Friends List.

Q: I am a member of a Household Account. What are the rules around my companion travelling with me when this is the case?
A: The voucher terms state that, where you (as the Cardmember who earned the 2-4-1 voucher) are already part of a BA Household Account, the cardmember who travels with you must also be a member of the same Household Account. This is because Members of a Household Account cannot redeem their Avios for anyone outside of the Household Account. If this is problematic, there are a few ways to resolve this issue:
  • Add your companion to your Household Account. It should be noted that Household Accounts can have a maximum of seven members at any one time, and can only be changed every six months. Your companion must also live at the same address as you for this to be an option
  • Add your companion to your Household Account's Family and Friends List. Once you have a Household Account, you can create a list of family and friends, so you can spend your Avios on people outside the group and, most importantly, on people who do not share the same address as you. You can nominate up to five people on your Family and Friends List, and you can access your Family and Friends list after you have logged into your online Executive Club account at ba.com. From here you can easily add individuals to your list – simply follow the on-screen instructions.
  • You withdraw from your Household Account. You may wish to note that Household Accounts can only be changed every six months
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Excellent resource Thread/Wiki ... well done ^

I can imagine new users of a 241 being much comforted by this collation of info.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Blue
Wow! Fantastic! I haven't yet got an Amex (cue sharp intake of breath!), but I was looking at them last night.

One thing that I couldn't work out for sure is what happens for 2 adults travelling with an infant. Do I pay the Avios and tax for an adult plus an infant, then use the voucher to pay only taxes for the other adult?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:38 am

Wonderful job...thank you ^
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Buyer beware...

Originally Posted by IMetThePieMan
Wow! Fantastic! I haven't yet got an Amex (cue sharp intake of breath!), but I was looking at them last night.

One thing that I couldn't work out for sure is what happens for 2 adults travelling with an infant. Do I pay the Avios and tax for an adult plus an infant, then use the voucher to pay only taxes for the other adult?
Comprehensive article by the OP.

For your specific query, yes the companion voucher just reduces the Avios required. You pay taxes the same way as if you were just using Avios.

So as a guess I'd recommend treating the infant independently of the 2 adults.

You may want to have a read of the stories of the pax on companion vouchers that have suffered downgrades before you spend £195 and dedicate £10k of spending.

This is particularly relevant to high demand tourist routes with low frequency flights.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
You may want to have a read of the stories of the pax on companion vouchers that have suffered downgrades before you spend £195 and dedicate £10k of spending.

This is particularly relevant to high demand tourist routes with low frequency flights.
Will do, thanks. The plan is to use the voucher on a trip to either SFO or BOM.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Varies
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.