Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:38 pm

Thanks i I will try that. It seems ridiculous to be penalised because the ultimate destination is a regional airport.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tillyholly
Thanks i I will try that. It seems ridiculous to be penalised because the ultimate destination is a regional airport.
the figure you were given was completely wrong. adding each domestic flight should be around £30-40 extra taxes/fees/charges.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Agree! It’s a right PITA trying to book a redemption with a domestic add-on.

I’ve luckily got seats on a Friday night from HKG back to London , but there was zero availability to Edinburgh on a Saturday (and only now showing 2 seats per flight) in J at T355. Loads to Inverness, so we’ve got to go back there.

It was £260.62 for adding the return leg.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:27 pm

Can I clarify please. Was the person I spoke to right and to add the edi leg in they should recalculate the hkg lhr taxes?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can I clarify please. Was the person I spoke to right and to add the edi leg in they should recalculate the hkg lhr taxes?
Have you got one booking with all EDI-LHR-HKG-LHR flights on it or did you book the outbound LHR-HKG and HKG-LHR separately and apply the voucher across both?

Basically the taxes/fees/charges are recalculated for the whole booking when doing a change. However there is unlikely to be much change other than the additional fees for the domestic flight which are about £40.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:42 am

I booked edi - lhr - hkg using a 2 f 1 then when hkg - lhr became available booked it on line. At that stage the lhr -edi leg was not available as it is an overnight flight so then phoned up to add hkg - lhr to the 2 f 1 booking and also add the now available lhr - edi. I was refunded half the avios from hkg-lhr but advised the recalculation of the taxes was a whopping £394 to add the lhr edi flights
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I booked edi - lhr - hkg using a 2 f 1 then when hkg - lhr became available booked it on line. At that stage the lhr -edi leg was not available as it is an overnight flight so then phoned up to add hkg - lhr to the 2 f 1 booking and also add the now available lhr - edi. I was refunded half the avios from hkg-lhr but advised the recalculation of the taxes was a whopping £394 to add the lhr edi flights
I assume this is now done, merged into one booking and paid for?

What we (I!) think is that if you book the inbound online, there are 2 ways it can be vouchered. Either you retain two bookings (no fee re-calc) or the bookings are merged (fee re-calc). If you merge in an ex-HKG inbound it goes from no YQ to about £170 YQ, so you want to keep them separate.

It seems like the agent, in combination with adding the domestic leg, has merged them - either at their own initiative or because of how you phrased your request. Maybe because of the domestic leg it felt the natural process to do the fuller “change”. This would explain the extra costs (with the domestic YQ too).

Unfortunately if it’s now done I can’t see it being demerged. Having it vouchered stand-alone as HKG-LHR and then adding EDI in another call might be more fail safe.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb

What we (I!) think is that if you book the inbound online, there are 2 ways it can be vouchered. Either you retain two bookings (no fee re-calc) or the bookings are merged (fee re-calc). If you merge in an ex-HKG inbound it goes from no YQ to about £170 YQ, so you want to keep them separate.
Makes sense with the YQ charges, but as you can only use the 2-4-1 voucher on one booking you are left with a decision to make
  • 1 booking to save the Avios with the 2-4-1, but spend more cash on YQ
  • 2 bookings to save the cash on YQ, but spend more Avios
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Makes sense with the YQ charges, but as you can only use the 2-4-1 voucher on one booking you are left with a decision to make
  • 1 booking to save the Avios with the 2-4-1, but spend more cash on YQ
  • 2 bookings to save the cash on YQ, but spend more Avios
That's not what I mean. You can now book your inbound online as a second booking (2x avios), then call in the morning to get half the avios refunded by explaining it's your 241-part-2. It seems from this thread (and my own one-off experience) that normally the inbound is left as a separate booking so your taxes are not re-calculated and you have the best of both worlds (if we are talking about HKG or another low-YQ origin). But it can also be done as a merge & re-calc, so you to be careful what's your best choice to make, and even then it's not clear who has the discretion.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
That's not what I mean. You can now book your inbound online as a second booking (2x avios), then call in the morning to get half the avios refunded by explaining it's your 241-part-2. It seems from this thread (and my own one-off experience) that normally the inbound is left as a separate booking so your taxes are not re-calculated and you have the best of both worlds (if we are talking about HKG or another low-YQ origin). But it can also be done as a merge & re-calc, so you to be careful what's your best choice to make, and even then it's not clear who has the discretion.
I did not realise you had the option of spanning the 2-4-1 across two bookings. Certainly good to know, and as you point out - best of both worlds with Avios vs. YQ/Cash. Good bit of info to file away in the brain (wonder what it will displace?)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:31 am

Its not been merged and I still have 2 x booking references. The problem appears to be with the edi add on which is extremely unfair as I would have booked HKG - LHR -EDI had the edi flights been released
I phoned again this morning and they still advised it would be £400 to add the edi leg. They have referred it and I await confirmation
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
I did not realise you had the option of spanning the 2-4-1 across two bookings. Certainly good to know, and as you point out - best of both worlds with Avios vs. YQ/Cash. Good bit of info to file away in the brain (wonder what it will displace?)
I think it's a fairly recent change, it's listed in an update in the Wiki at the top of the post, where sometimes it will be advantageous (e.g. HKG) and sometimes a bad idea (USA)

I would presume, but am not certain (perhaps pauldb knows?) that this method is only applicable when the inbound is beyond T-355 at the time of booking the outbound?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Sorry if this question have been asked already, tried searching a bit with no luck.

I’m looking at an open jaw redemption with my 2-4-1 voucher, and there is availability for both my outbound and inbound trip. However, I don’t have enough Avios to purchase both yet, and I’m waiting for points to transfer until I can purchase the return (Heathrow Rewards and Iberia Groupon).

The destination on the outbound flight is very popular, so I’d like to just purchase the outbound and add the inbound when the Avios hits my account sometime next week. I understand that this is possible. However, I would like to avoid the £ 35 pp. fee if possible. Is the fee charged when making an open jaw redemption online and then adding inbound flight via phone later? I seem to remember that no booking fee is charged for open jaw redemptions over the phone as it’s not possible online, and this is not possible online either, but there could be up to 5 days difference between booking outbound and adding inbound.

Anybody got an idea if they will waive the change fee in this case?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Sorry if this question have been asked already, tried searching a bit with no luck.

I’m looking at an open jaw redemption with my 2-4-1 voucher, and there is availability for both my outbound and inbound trip. However, I don’t have enough Avios to purchase both yet, and I’m waiting for points to transfer until I can purchase the return (Heathrow Rewards and Iberia Groupon).

The destination on the outbound flight is very popular, so I’d like to just purchase the outbound and add the inbound when the Avios hits my account sometime next week. I understand that this is possible. However, I would like to avoid the £ 35 pp. fee if possible. Is the fee charged when making an open jaw redemption online and then adding inbound flight via phone later? I seem to remember that no booking fee is charged for open jaw redemptions over the phone as it’s not possible online, and this is not possible online either, but there could be up to 5 days difference between booking outbound and adding inbound.

Anybody got an idea if they will waive the change fee in this case?
I've not been charged a fee for adding an inbound to a 241, the reason being you can't do it online.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by firstlight
I've not been charged a fee for adding an inbound to a 241, the reason being you can't do it online.
Thanks a lot. Booked it now and hope they don’t charge extra, and that availability is still there for the inbound, when the remaining Avios arrives.

HKG in F on the A380 seems quite rare, so thought I’d better jump on it before it’s gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.