Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Does the first leg of an open jaw have to be longer than the second?

planning LBA-LHR-SIN//SYD-SIN-LHR-LBA- would that be allowed or would we have to go to SYD first?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Does the first leg of an open jaw have to be longer than the second?

planning LBA-LHR-SIN//SYD-SIN-LHR-LBA- would that be allowed or would we have to go to SYD first?

Thanks
That is fine. The order is irrelevant.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by arbitrary
I'm looking to book an itinerary along the lines of domestic-LHR-MIA-CUN. Probably with a stopover in MIA in at least one direction. I know i can't use the 2-4-1 on the MIA-CUN legs, but can i book the whole itinerary on one PNR and still get the voucher savings on the longhaul? I'm assuming i will need to phone, will they waive the phone booking fee in this instance?
Unfortunately 1 of the few drawbacks of the voucher is the fact that you can't do that. If you make stopovers it won't be much of a problem but if not, from bitter personal experience, I would strongly recommend ensuring that you build in comfortable connections in MIA.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:23 pm

Gastocnemius:
Yes, you should be OK with the open jaw as the "open" distance between SIN and SYD is less than LHR/SIN or SYD/LHR. Obviously you'll need to phone.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:53 am

Open jaw tickets

MAN-LHR-CPT. DUR-LHR-MAN

Hi all,

I am planning the above trip, o/bound in first, i/bound in club world using a companion voucher. As this is an open jaw ticket, will I need to call BA twice to secure these seats (if available) @-355 or can I book the o/bound tickets on-line then just call to add the DUR-LHR-MAN? Does one companion voucher cover this or do you need two? Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Open jaw can be fun, but as stated above it can't be used for connecting flights and build in a good bit of flex. For example I did LHR-KUL, 2 days sightseeing, KUL-DPS for 8 days on the beach, DPS-SIN for 3 days of sightseeing then SIN-LHR. The first and last flights booked using the 241. Also have planned, LHR-BNA and ATL-LHR with a week in Florida in-between using Southwest for the internal flights and am working on LHR-ICN and HKG-LHR with 10 days in Vietnam in the middle, its 2 city breaks that sandwich some down time.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by BA_MAN1
MAN-LHR-CPT. DUR-LHR-MAN

Hi all,

I am planning the above trip, o/bound in first, i/bound in club world using a companion voucher. As this is an open jaw ticket, will I need to call BA twice to secure these seats (if available) @-355 or can I book the o/bound tickets on-line then just call to add the DUR-LHR-MAN? Does one companion voucher cover this or do you need two? Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere.

You can book the outbound online as a one-way with the voucher. You only need to speak to BA about the inbound. You can either ring at midnight (or 1am BST) and have it added to the outbound booking, or you can book it online standalone (for full 2x avios, if you have them) then call them to have it "vouchered" to get half the avios back.

One voucher will do your whole trip, and actually the open-jaw aspect makes no practical difference here.
BA_MAN1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
You can book the outbound online as a one-way with the voucher. You only need to speak to BA about the inbound. You can either ring at midnight (or 1am BST) and have it added to the outbound booking, or you can book it online standalone (for full 2x avios, if you have them) then call them to have it "vouchered" to get half the avios back.

One voucher will do your whole trip, and actually the open-jaw aspect makes no practical difference here.
Brilliant - thanks for the response, its really helpful.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Silver

If i was to try this for Costa Rica would the taxes be about equal ?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by melanddave
If i was to try this for Costa Rica would the taxes be about equal ?
They should be, but they won't be ... at least not without hassle.

I'm surprised to see CR has a lower carrier surcharge: 128e/w vs 174 ex-UK. I thought all the Americas were higher. Normally that would mean you could save 46pp booking two one ways. However ba.com prices up two oneways at 62 higher, including CR transport tax on the inbound at 109 when booked oneway. The tax is a 5% levy, and I think you should be paying 5% of zero, but they appear to be charging 5% of a notional amount. I think we've seen this before - India GST I believe, but right now I can't get the website to price ex-DEL. You might be able to have it knocked off, but I don't know the rules for sure or the hassle involved.

So all in all I think I'd take the easier option and book the inbound on the same booking, by phone.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:47 am

I did a quick peak/off-peak comparison in J and the saving is around 37 pp booking two one ways. As there are only 2 flights per week I may go for the separate/then joined up bookings option
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:51 am

I did a quick peak/off-peak comparison in J and the saving is around 37 pp booking two one ways. As there are only 2 flights per week I may go for the separate/then joined up bookings option
Did you go past the initial quote on the inbound? It shows me 169 initially, but 268 on the next page.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:55 am

Did you go past the initial quote on the inbound? It shows me 169 initially, but 268 on the next page.
I only went as far as the first page, doh ! Why the difference ?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:12 am

Because, I think, of the way BA is bodging the CR transport tax. If you do prefer to book oneways, then perhaps it is worth the risk/hassle of having to try and reclaim it from BA.

Here is a thread on the equivalent India situation: Avios booking GST tax from India

However I don't of course know the CR rules: they could insist that some level of tax is paid on free tickets. FWIW, aa.com does not charge the tax on a BA reward (fees 166).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think that the first page in the Avios booking flow gives you an estimate which is often wrong. Only the firm price quote on the second page is reliable.

Using ITA to price the TFC for CW bookings to SJO, I got the following totals:-
LGW-SJO-LGW: 579.52
LGW-SJO: 373.62
SJO-LGW: 269.10
(LGW-SJO + SJO-LGW: 642.72)

The ITA quote for TFC is usually accurate to the penny, but as always you may want to try taking the Avios booking quote to a firm price quote to check these numbers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.