Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I've been a lurker on the site for a while and enjoyed the various postings on here. Now though I wanted to ask about a bit of an oddity with the BA companion voucher. I upgraded to the premium plus card this week to trigger the Ł10k spending target and get a two year companion voucher. My companion voucher has duly come through, but it's only for 12 months with a "congratulations for hitting the Ł20k spending target" message. I definitely haven't hit Ł20k on this card and obviously the 24 month companion voucher is much more useful.

Is this a common problem and will it fix itself if I just leave it for a week, or should I be getting on the phone to Amex/BA and causing a fuss?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by teebs
I've been a lurker on the site for a while and enjoyed the various postings on here. Now though I wanted to ask about a bit of an oddity with the BA companion voucher. I upgraded to the premium plus card this week to trigger the Ł10k spending target and get a two year companion voucher. My companion voucher has duly come through, but it's only for 12 months with a "congratulations for hitting the Ł20k spending target" message. I definitely haven't hit Ł20k on this card and obviously the 24 month companion voucher is much more useful.

Is this a common problem and will it fix itself if I just leave it for a week, or should I be getting on the phone to Amex/BA and causing a fuss?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome! I don’t think this will fix itself, and seems to happen occasionally. I would phone Amex first but you may well get bounced between Amex and BA.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
I wonder if someone can help with a question about a cancellation.

I had booked a LHR-MIA return using a voucher but cancelled it as I needed to change the dates but didn't want to pay BA even more money to do so (we've instead booked cash flights to FLL in Y basic for Ł262 each).

I cancelled online and have had an email confirming that the Avios and voucher will be refunded within 24 hours but there's no mention of the taxes/fees, or any charge for cancellation. Will the money be refunded automatically or do I need to chase this up?
​​​
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by saint_em
I wonder if someone can help with a question about a cancellation.

I had booked a LHR-MIA return using a voucher but cancelled it as I needed to change the dates but didn't want to pay BA even more money to do so (we've instead booked cash flights to FLL in Y basic for Ł262 each).

I cancelled online and have had an email confirming that the Avios and voucher will be refunded within 24 hours but there's no mention of the taxes/fees, or any charge for cancellation. Will the money be refunded automatically or do I need to chase this up?
​​​
yes the taxes/fees/charges should be refunded back to the payment card automatically less the cancellation fee of Ł35 per person. Probably takes around 5-14 days.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

yes the taxes/fees/charges should be refunded back to the payment card automatically less the cancellation fee of Ł35 per person. Probably takes around 5-14 days.
Thank you - I assumed it'd be automatic but the compete lack of reference to money in the email threw me a bit!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Country of Membership

Hello,

I have recently moved to Australia. I have not as of yet transferred my BA account to my Australian address.

I have two outstanding 241 vouchers atm. If I was to change my address to Australia, would that mean I could book a flight SYD - LHR rtn rather than having to be from London?

Regards,

Kernow
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kernow
Hello,

I have recently moved to Australia. I have not as of yet transferred my BA account to my Australian address.

I have two outstanding 241 vouchers atm. If I was to change my address to Australia, would that mean I could book a flight SYD - LHR rtn rather than having to be from London?

Regards,

Kernow
Under the Terms & Conditions, all 2-4-1 flights must originate from, and return to, the U.K.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:39 am

How long is a BA 24 hours?

As per my previous post, last week I cancelled flights booked with a 2 for 1 voucher. On Saturday morning I received an email saying that the Avios and voucher would be returned to my account "within 24 hours". Even discounting the weekend, i.e. had I received the email on Monday morning, it's still been more than 24 hours and no sign of the Avios, voucher, or cash.

I don't mind it taking a week, but don't tell me it'll be 24 hours if that's the case! At what point do I need to pick up the phone?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:07 am
H2L

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by saint_em
How long is a BA 24 hours?

As per my previous post, last week I cancelled flights booked with a 2 for 1 voucher. On Saturday morning I received an email saying that the Avios and voucher would be returned to my account "within 24 hours". Even discounting the weekend, i.e. had I received the email on Monday morning, it's still been more than 24 hours and no sign of the Avios, voucher, or cash.

I don't mind it taking a week, but don't tell me it'll be 24 hours if that's the case! At what point do I need to pick up the phone?
Honestly, I would pick up the phone now and give a gentle prompt. I had a very similar situation and after around five days the cash refund had been processed but no sign of the Avios or voucher. Left it another 2 days - assuming that it would work itself out - but when I finally called, both were refunded immediately while still on the call. Very helpful and pleasant conversation but I was left with the impression that such IT glitches often happen and that my request was by no means unusual.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by H2L
Honestly, I would pick up the phone now and give a gentle prompt. I had a very similar situation and after around five days the cash refund had been processed but no sign of the Avios or voucher. Left it another 2 days - assuming that it would work itself out - but when I finally called, both were refunded immediately while still on the call. Very helpful and pleasant conversation but I was left with the impression that such IT glitches often happen and that my request was by no means unusual.
Thanks - I'll give them a call later.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:40 am

Whats the optimal way to ask for flights on the phone. Should you call a few mins before the release time? Do you let them know you want to grab the 2 seats as they appear? Or just give the flight numbers in order?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Whats the optimal way to ask for flights on the phone. Should you call a few mins before the release time? Do you let them know you want to grab the 2 seats as they appear? Or just give the flight numbers in order?
I would call up around 10 or 15 minutes in advance of release time, to allow you to get through to someone and explain what you want to do. In my experience they're happy to wait for a few minutes with you on the line. If you leave it too late (as I have done in the past) you're still in a phone queue when the seats are taken.

If you have the Avios available it's worth checking how much the fees are to do it as two one ways online then phone up the next day to get the voucher applied to the return. Much easier as long as you're not going to US/Canada
argonath likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by omk298
If you have the Avios available it's worth checking how much the fees are to do it as two one ways online then phone up the next day to get the voucher applied to the return. Much easier as long as you're not going to US/Canada

Thanks for the tip. What does this last part mean? That I can book 2x pax on 1 booking for EDI-LHR-JNB online, and then call up and convert it to a 2 for 1? Then book the return 2 weeks later the same way?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the tip. What does this last part mean? That I can book 2x pax on 1 booking for EDI-LHR-JNB online, and then call up and convert it to a 2 for 1? Then book the return 2 weeks later the same way?
Check the wiki of this thread
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
You can book the outbound online using the 2-4-1 normally to start with. Then instead of phoning up at midnight GMT you can book the return as a normal one-way booking online. You'll pay the full avios and cash for 2 people initially. Then you can phone up the next day when the UK line is open and ask them to apply the 2-4-1 to the return booking. You will get a refund of half the avios, but the charges won't be. This means that if you're going to Asia you will generally be better off than the traditional (phone) booking method, but if you're going to the US you'll be significantly worse off, because the fees vary by market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.