Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:55 am

Fruitcage, thank you for your reply and reassurance . I'll have a look at that website shortly.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
From reading posts here it would indeed be easy to get the impression that the only way to use a 2-4-1 for F or J is to book 355 days in advance.
In practice, many routes have lots of availability over a whole range of dates so you can get great value out of the voucher with much less notice if you can be reasonably flexible on dates and/or destinations.

I recommend the 3rd party site http://www.baredemptionfinder.com (not affiliated with them) if you want to search a wide range of dates for specific destinations.
Agreed. Even next March/April there is a lot of availability to West Coast USA. Managed to bag 2 seats to LAX, back from SJC.

Also hats off, called the 'US' number last night and got put through to a team in Liverpool. Very helpful and booked quickly. Also got an email from the rep own email with offer to add on flights or car hire (and something about bonus Avios) if needed
cowleasow likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
From reading posts here it would indeed be easy to get the impression that the only way to use a 2-4-1 for F or J is to book 355 days in advance.

In practice, many routes have lots of availability over a whole range of dates so you can get great value out of the voucher with much less notice if you can be reasonably flexible on dates and/or destinations.
And this can include routes which, according to FT folklore, are almost impossible to get award seats on. But as an example, the last 2-4-1 which I used was in F to JNB, booked at just under 6 months before travel.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:41 am

Globaliser & Sprodo: Thanks, good to hear.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
How long until avios refund after 2-4-1 applied to existing avios return leg by phone

Originally Posted by KARFA

yes. However this is not advisable at all if you are booking a UK-US rtn as you will end up paying exUS carrier surcharge will will cost you several hundred pounds more.
Originally Posted by drpabs
So that I have this right: I can book the outbound leg LHR-XXX using a 2-4-1 voucher, then wait until 0000GMT on the day in the future when the return flights XXX-LHR come out and book a pair of them using avios, then wait until the morning and call up (for example) the UK Gold line and ask for the original 2-4-1 voucher to be applied to the return booking - for which no fees are due as the return was beyond the booking window at the time of booking.

Does that sound correct?
After booking a pair of NBO-LHR J flights at 0200GMT on Monday 3rd September I called the Gold line later that day to request that the 2-4-1 voucher be applied to this return booking. After being transferring to the "avios team" and holding for a whopping 55 minutes I managed to speak to a pleasant and helpful lady who was able to fulfil my request. She said that as a result of applying the 2-4-1 to the return booking I would receive 75,000 avios back. Being in something of a rush that day, I neglected to ask her when I might receive these. Does anyone have any experience of how long it takes to get such a refund? The lady said that the refund had to be processed "manually" so I was not expecting to receive the avios back immediately such as happens when one cancels an avios booking.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:09 am

Question- 2for1 voucher on downgrading BA premium plus

hi, I hit 10K limit early on my BA premium card and have downgraded to blue. In app it shows that if i spend another 10K within remaining 12 months of the first card i will get another 2for1 voucher. Does anyone have experience of getting 2for1 vouchers this way? I read somewhere that app is misleading and BA doesnt pay out two vouchers in a year.

thanks for help
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Managed to use my first 2 4 1 voucher to book Club World to Sydney on the exact date I wanted in February.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Chillaks
hi, I hit 10K limit early on my BA premium card and have downgraded to blue. In app it shows that if i spend another 10K within remaining 12 months of the first card i will get another 2for1 voucher. Does anyone have experience of getting 2for1 vouchers this way? I read somewhere that app is misleading and BA doesnt pay out two vouchers in a year.

thanks for help
The Terms & Conditions are clear that you can't earn two vouchers in a given year. But glitches sometime happen. Your odds are slim.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all

I recently made a 2-4-1 booking LHR-SCL (Santiago). It's almost a year out so I booked the outbound online & I called the Japan call centre at 1am BST to add the return when it became available.

Dummy booking charges show the following:

LHR-SCL return £574.84 each, = £1149.68 for 2
LHR-SCL one-way £391.41 each, = £782.82 for 2
Difference one-way £183.43 each, = £366.86 for 2

I was charged £782.82 for the 2-4-1 online outbound booking which is correct. I would then expect to be charged £366.86 (= 183.43 x 2) when I added the return. However, when I was adding the return the agent said would be charged 105000 avios (correct) and £395.60. I told him this was more than I expected but he said 2-4-1 avios bookings were charged differently. I let it go as the amount was fairly small, I figured the correct amount might actually get billed, and the agent had been excellent up till that point - he knew exactly what I wanted, why I was calling & he'd stated there would be no extra charges for booking via phone.

Today my card was billed for the amount he'd stated - £395.60 which by my calculation is an overcharge of £28.74 (=14.37 each). The receipt states there is no amend fee.

Am I correct that I've been overcharged? It's a relatively trivial amount but I want it corrected if I have been. I assume the call centres are fairly busy right now with the data breach so if I do call them it'll be in a few days.

Last edited by alpenlupe; Sep 9, 2018 at 11:02 am Reason: added difference for return
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
They should recalculate the taxes/fees/charges if you add the inbound legs to the outbound and turn it in to a return booking. There shouldn’t be a change fee charged if you are adding the inbound flights at 355 days. You are right that overall you should be paying the TFC for a return LHR-SCL booking.

When you added the inbound flights have they just charged you the one way TFC for SCL-LHR?
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:13 am

--below--

Last edited by alpenlupe; Sep 9, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
They should recalculate the taxes/fees/charges if you add the inbound legs to the outbound and turn it in to a return booking. There shouldn’t be a change fee charged if you are adding the inbound flights at 355 days. You are right that overall you should be paying the TFC for a return LHR-SCL booking.

When you added the inbound flights have they just charged you the one way TFC for SCL-LHR?
Thanks.
No, they didn't charge the one way TFC for SCL-LHR. That would be £214.03 / £428.06. I think it was a miscalculation by the agent.

Last edited by alpenlupe; Sep 9, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
Thanks.
No, they didn't charge the one way TFC for SCL-LHR. That would be £214.03 / £428.06. I think it was a miscalculation by the agent.
Have had a chance to look at the TC myself this morning for that route. I have used the TFC figures off itamatrix.

As you noted you were charged £782 for two and checking that does seem to be the correct TFC for a one way LHR-SCL.

TFC for a return booking would be about £589 per person, so £1178 for two.

TFC for SCL-LHR is about £226 per person so £452 for two.

I would have expected that when phoning to book and add the return flights the TFC on to the same booking you should be charged the difference between what you have paid already so £782, and the TFC for a return (£1178), so about £396 in total.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:56 am

Thanks for that @KARFA. I've checked my original figures and I think they're correct as quoted on ba.com. Here's the quote for an avios club return for one person near the dates for my 2-4-1 booking:

So the ba.com quote is inconsistent with itamatrix by my reckoning. However, ba's actual charge to me is consistent with itamatrix.

Last edited by alpenlupe; Sep 10, 2018 at 4:59 am Reason: minor details
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
So the ba.com quote is inconsistent with itamatrix by my reckoning. However, ba's actual charge to me is consistent with itamatrix.
I think that it might be instructive to go one step further on ba.com. I have found that that page sometimes uses (apparently) cached figures that aren't 100% accurate. But if you go one page further and get a firm price quote, the TFC figure should match the ITA Matrix figure.
alpenlupe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.