Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I have previously always added the 2-4-1 return leg at d-355 over the phone, including calling the USA number at 1am UK time. I was all prepared for this last night but as I dialled, I could also see availability online so, with enough avios to cover the full cost, I booked the return and went back to bed. By this morning all the reward seats had gone so I was happy that I got them booked.

I called this morning and a very helpful agent quickly sorted out applying the original voucher to the new booking and refunding me half of the return leg avios. We discussed the fact that they would stay as separate bookings and then got on to taxes.

She was surprised by the apparently high taxes I had paid for this return from the USA. She then put in a dummy booking for a return leg, on a different day (but not a day we wanted), as if she was adding it to my original outbound as a round trip ticket, and the taxes came out at Ł200 less per person. I had only ever really been aware that taxes could be reduced by booking one-ways, especially RFS to Europe, but in this case it would have been cheaper as a return than as 2 one-ways. She came up with various options to cancel and rebook for dates we didn't want, then change to the date we did want when further reward seats become available but clearly that would risk missing them.

So, had I phoned to add the return leg it could have been cheaper in taxes, but I could have been on hold, being transferred from the US to a third country call centre, and missed the seats. So, as a data point, the options are - risk a long hold and miss the seats, or book online and accept potentially higher taxes. At the end of the day, Ł200 per person is not that bad - had it been a revenue booking, we would have accepted a Ł200 fare differential to travel on the day we wanted.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
So, had I phoned to add the return leg it could have been cheaper in taxes, but I could have been on hold, being transferred from the US to a third country call centre, and missed the seats. So, as a data point, the options are - risk a long hold and miss the seats, or book online and accept potentially higher taxes. At the end of the day, Ł200 per person is not that bad - had it been a revenue booking, we would have accepted a Ł200 fare differential to travel on the day we wanted.
That does seem to be a quirk of the new booking method. Had you been going East, particularly returning from HKG, the inbound YQ would generally have been less not more.

It might test the patience of the agent, but given your discussion perhaps if you later see more seats come available you could switch over to a return booking: add new seats to your outbound and cancel the one-way inbound. They might charge the Ł35 canx fee but it would still save you the bulk of the Ł200.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
It might test the patience of the agent, but given your discussion perhaps if you later see more seats come available you could switch over to a return booking: add new seats to your outbound and cancel the one-way inbound. They might charge the Ł35 canx fee but it would still save you the bulk of the Ł200.
In principle that should be possible, but I think the problem with that is when they cancel the one way inbound there is no guarantee the reward seats will become available again to add in to the outbound booking - perhaps one of the folks who know BA systems can confirm?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
Actually, she suggested those options but it is really only risk-free if more seats come up within the cancellation window - ie today.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by KARFA
In principle that should be possible, but I think the problem with that is when they cancel the one way inbound there is no guarantee the reward seats will become available again to add in to the outbound booking - perhaps one of the folks who know BA systems can confirm?
I meant that weeks or months from now there may be a further release of seats, rather than vintagepilot relying on being able to re-book the intial 2J. If the agent can add the "new" inbound before cancelling the standalone, it would be risk free. (Would depend on the agent being able to let you have 2 vouchered inbounds at the same time perhaps - 2 "bookings" perhaps easier to let through than 2 tickets though.)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:51 am

Hi all,

Sorry for potentially silly question. MrsMM and I have a 2-4-1 and are planning for its usage later in 2019 or early 2020. We will also have our infant child in tow who will be less than 2 when we go.

My question is, how do child fares work on redemption flights? I understand on normal circumstances you call the booking line and pay 10% of fare cost for the infant ticket. For redemption flights do you simply pay an additional 10% of the avios for the return fare?

Appreciate your help, we're looking at either ANU in J or IAH in F so trying to calculate avios required.

thanks,
The Muffin Man
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
Hi all,

Sorry for potentially silly question. MrsMM and I have a 2-4-1 and are planning for its usage later in 2019 or early 2020. We will also have our infant child in tow who will be less than 2 when we go.

My question is, how do child fares work on redemption flights? I understand on normal circumstances you call the booking line and pay 10% of fare cost for the infant ticket. For redemption flights do you simply pay an additional 10% of the avios for the return fare?

Appreciate your help, we're looking at either ANU in J or IAH in F so trying to calculate avios required.

thanks,
The Muffin Man
For an infant you pay 10% of the usual per person Avios amount and the applicable infant taxes, fees and charges.
omk298 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Anonba

For an infant you pay 10% of the usual per person Avios amount and the applicable infant taxes, fees and charges.
Awesome thanks, that what I was hoping for!
TMM
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
I have previously always added the 2-4-1 return leg at d-355 over the phone, including calling the USA number at 1am UK time. I was all prepared for this last night but as I dialled, I could also see availability online so, with enough avios to cover the full cost, I booked the return and went back to bed. By this morning all the reward seats had gone so I was happy that I got them booked.

I called this morning and a very helpful agent quickly sorted out applying the original voucher to the new booking and refunding me half of the return leg avios. We discussed the fact that they would stay as separate bookings and then got on to taxes.

She was surprised by the apparently high taxes I had paid for this return from the USA. She then put in a dummy booking for a return leg, on a different day (but not a day we wanted), as if she was adding it to my original outbound as a round trip ticket, and the taxes came out at Ł200 less per person. I had only ever really been aware that taxes could be reduced by booking one-ways, especially RFS to Europe, but in this case it would have been cheaper as a return than as 2 one-ways. She came up with various options to cancel and rebook for dates we didn't want, then change to the date we did want when further reward seats become available but clearly that would risk missing them.

After reading of this manner of booking round trip with a 2-4-1 voucher here, I attempted the same thing myself, but with a different result.

Specifically, I am attempting to use a Chase companion voucher for travel from the US to LHR and back. I booked the outbound leg (SEA to LHR) in Club World a few weeks ago at T-355, using the voucher. Last week I booked the return leg LHR to SEA at T-355 with full Avios. Today I called to have the voucher applied to the return leg and Avios refunded, but no joy. The agent was very polite and helpful, but said I would have to cancel the existing return flight and then he would re-book using the voucher, but there were no more award seats for my flight day and no guarantees the seats I cancelled would reappear in inventory right away so I could get them back.

I am unwilling to take the chance of losing them, so he suggested I just keep checking back for more award seats to be released, at which point I could call and have the voucher applied to the new booking. I am willing to keep checking back, but how would that work? I do not have enough Avios left for another booking for two in Club World, so still would have to cancel my current return flight before booking the newly released seats. Could they not also disappear before this could be accomplished?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:29 am

It might be a another case of call back later. The agent I spoke with was all over it and knew all about applying the voucher to the new booking.

I guess if I had been in the US I would have phoned at the time - the problem we have here is that the UK office is closed at the time they release the seats.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by enzian
Last week I booked the return leg LHR to SEA at T-355 with full Avios. Today I called to have the voucher applied to the return leg and Avios refunded, but no joy. The agent was very polite and helpful, but said I would have to cancel the existing return flight and then he would re-book using the voucher, but there were no more award seats for my flight day and no guarantees the seats I cancelled would reappear in inventory right away so I could get them back.
Based on the comments further upthread the agent should be able to apply the voucher across on to the second booking and refund half your avios from that second booking. You would still have two bookings but the net effect would be that you would get the half avios effect for both outbound and inbound. I would suggest calling again.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:31 am

Yes, “should be”able to apply the voucher to the second booking. But the agent said he could only do that by canceling my existing inbound booking and then re-booking with the voucher. The problem is that he said there was no guarantee I would get the Club World seats on that flight back. The seats would not appear back in inventory right away, and someone else could book them in the meantime.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:37 am

But the agent said he could only do that by canceling my existing inbound booking and then re-booking with the voucher.
That's simply not correct. The voucher can be applied across two bookings without cancelling anything. I would suggest calling again.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, “should be”able to apply the voucher to the second booking. But the agent said he could only do that by canceling my existing inbound booking and then re-booking with the voucher. The problem is that he said there was no guarantee I would get the Club World seats on that flight back. The seats would not appear back in inventory right away, and someone else could book them in the meantime.
Call again until you find someone who knows what they're doing.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:53 am

Just did that (called back) and it worked. All done and I have the Avios back.
alpenlupe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.