Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Ruth4325
Am I right in thinking that if downgraded on a 241 in F you can request that you’re moved to a later flight?
This happened to us a few weeks before our trip to Boston in November. We were alerted by the MyFlights app that our booking had changed, no email from BA. We were downgraded from F to J due to aircraft change and no F cabin on the change. Having telephoned YouFirst the lovely agent promptly asked if we could do an earlier/later flight on the same day. She said there was no reward availability but would email the redemptions team and hey presto within 24 hours we were back on track with an F flight just an hour later than originally planned.

The only issues it gave us was that midway to LHR on the M4 I tried to complete OLCI and we struck an error telling us to check-in at the airport. Worried of yet another downgrade we rang and it was an IT glitch related to the first cancelled flight. Eventually sorted at the airport the next morning.

So I would say anything is possible, to the extent our YouFirst lady managed to get another seat opened up to facilitate our first First. Having had it happen once I wasn't too concerned if it happened again as we had a list of flights that we would be willing to travel on in F and at worse a couple in J. Just be prepared and flexible if you can.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:39 pm

I fear I may have completely misunderstood the multiple voucher rules...

I have two vouchers in my account, and in my head I thought I could use both vouchers to pay for 3 travellers (me, my wife and my two year old son) but only pay the points for one traveller.

Reading the notes on this page, it appears that using two vouchers can be used for travelling with 4x passengers paying 2x the points, rather than travelling with 3x passengers using 1x the points.

Was this ever an option in the past or have I completely misunderstood the rules?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DuncWatts
I fear I may have completely misunderstood the multiple voucher rules...

I have two vouchers in my account, and in my head I thought I could use both vouchers to pay for 3 travellers (me, my wife and my two year old son) but only pay the points for one traveller.

Reading the notes on this page, it appears that using two vouchers can be used for travelling with 4x passengers paying 2x the points, rather than travelling with 3x passengers using 1x the points.

Was this ever an option in the past or have I completely misunderstood the rules?
It's not an option I ever remember. As far back as I have been using them it has been the case that for 3 passengers using 2 vouchers wouldn't give you anything more than just using 1. In your case you would use one voucher and the result for the group of 3 would be you would pay avios for 2 people. If you were flying as a group of 4 you could use 2 vouchers and the avios cost would be for 2 people only.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you want a more efficient arrangement (not quite as low a cost pp) get a Lloyds Upgrade Voucher for the third person: get their ticket for the price of the cabin below and save Amex voucher 2 for another trip.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DuncWatts

So long as I have had the card (about 2005), this has not been an option.

In fact, IIRC the option to use two vouchers at once to pay for the cardholder plus three companions was not an option at all when I started, but was brought in later.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Looking for some advice re a trip to New York (241 related) We are a party of 4 looking to travel in J to New York in May. I have a couple of 241’s at my disposal and my friend has 100k avios at his disposal (no 241) . Is there any way we can use the 241’s, my avios and his avios to assist in the booking. For information, he has his own household account. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
Looking for some advice re a trip to New York (241 related) We are a party of 4 looking to travel in J to New York in May. I have a couple of 241’s at my disposal and my friend has 100k avios at his disposal (no 241) . Is there any way we can use the 241’s, my avios and his avios to assist in the booking. For information, he has his own household account. Any advice would be appreciated.
Only if you are in a household account together I think.

Edit: or by him transferring some of his avios to you, but that is limited to 27000 I think and he'd have to pay a fee to transfer unless he's gold.

Last edited by omk298; Dec 4, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Sorry to ask questions that may seem silly/obvious, but I just wanted to clarify a few pointers before I commit to a BA Amex.

am I right in thinking:
  1. that to tell if there is availability for 2-4-1’s, I check on the BA app, then call a call center to book - but most availability is released at midnight GMT?
  2. tickets have to be booked by calling BA where I give them details of the second traveller over the phone?
  3. do I still earn Avios/TPs on 2-4-1 flights?
is there a rough guide as to how many Avios are needed for certain routes?
I’d be most likely to use the voucher for our annual winter Caribbean holiday - what’s the average amount of Avios needed to book this?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SussexFly
Sorry to ask questions that may seem silly/obvious, but I just wanted to clarify a few pointers before I commit to a BA Amex.<br /><br />am I right in thinking:<ol><li>that to tell if there is availability for 2-4-1’s, I check on the BA app, then call a call center to book - but most availability is released at midnight GMT?</li><li>tickets have to be booked by calling BA where I give them details of the second traveller over the phone?</li><li>do I still earn Avios/TPs on 2-4-1 flights?</li></ol>is there a rough guide as to how many Avios are needed for certain routes?<br />I’d be most likely to use the voucher for our annual winter Caribbean holiday - what’s the average amount of Avios needed to book this?
No need to call. 2-4-1 flights can be booked on-line.
Your companion's information can be entered on-line.
2-4-1 flights are redemptions flights. Redemption flights do not earn Avios or TPs.
The BAEC website will tell you the precise number of Avios needed for any given flight, both peak and off-peak.
SussexFly likes this.

Last edited by Steve in Olympia; Dec 5, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SussexFly
  1. that to tell if there is availability for 2-4-1’s, I check on the BA app, then call a call center to book - but most availability is released at midnight GMT?
  2. tickets have to be booked by calling BA where I give them details of the second traveller over the phone?
  3. do I still earn Avios/TPs on 2-4-1 flights?
You can book these online. ba.com allows you to choose a voucher to use when you have one in your account. Whether you book online or over the phone, the second traveller is named just as if you were booking cash tickets for you and another.

They are award flights (the 2-4-1 can only be used for full redemptions), so they earn the same Avios and TPs as any other award flight: zero.
SussexFly likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
New card time?

i am currently just under £1,900 off a 2-4-1 (deadline 11th May) on the Standard BA Amex card. Should I apply for an Amex Platinum so I can swap my spend over to it as soon as I hit the £20k?

Then cancel the current card when I hit £20k?

Having read this thread though I am a little concerned as to how feasible it is to use these vouchers. This issue of having to book the outbound without the inbound sounds ridiculous.

im assuming New York might be an easier destination?

Last edited by RockyRobin; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:08 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Having read this thread though I am a little concerned as to how feasible it is to use these vouchers. This issue of having to book the outbound without the inbound sounds ridiculous.

im assuming New York might be an easier destination?
There are plenty of destinations to which you don't have to contort yourself to get a trip booked, especially if you can be flexible about dates.

There is occasional discussion about the wisdom of earning a 2-4-1 voucher on the free BA card, in the sense that it would be better value to pay for the Premium Plus and earn the 2-4-1 voucher through that, using the other £10,000 of spend for other credit card benefits. One of the additional benefits of going down that route is that the 2-4-1 voucher earned on the Premium Plus card is valid for two years, not one, which makes using them easier, particularly on popular routes.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you have enough avios to make use of regular 241 vouchers, you might be better off referring your partner (if applicable) for a BA Premium Amex instead. You get 9k and they'll get 26k which basically offsets the card fee and you can start earning another voucher asap. No need to cancel your own card too quickly (though they can refer you back once you've been out of the card for 6 months) ... you might even delay receiving your voucher unless you need to use it immidiately.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything answering this... first time poster, be gentle

I have a Club World 241 booking to Beijing and I've been waiting for First availability which has just appeared today. I called BA to upgrade, but I have been told me that as I've now cancelled the BA Amex originally used to pay, I can't upgrade. I have other Amex's, just not a BA one.
I thought the only thing that mattered was that the card used was an Amex, regardless of whether its BA branded or not?

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Ells
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything answering this... first time poster, be gentle

I have a Club World 241 booking to Beijing and I've been waiting for First availability which has just appeared today. I called BA to upgrade, but I have been told me that as I've now cancelled the BA Amex originally used to pay, I can't upgrade. I have other Amex's, just not a BA one.
I thought the only thing that mattered was that the card used was an Amex, regardless of whether its BA branded or not?

Thanks
HUACA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.