Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
The logic here is that you aren't a hostage to fortune of getting a good telephone agent at midnight. You can bag the return seats online yourself by 12:01. You can then speak to the agent to sort it out later in the day, when there's no urgency.
When you cancel the one you booked for the inbound though there is no guarantee those seats will reappear as reward seats so you may end up with nothing. There is no process of "moving" reward seats from one booking to another.

Plenty of people have managed to add the return in at midnight, the Japanese office seems quite a popular choice and they seem to have some competent agents.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
When you cancel the one you booked for the inbound though there is no guarantee those seats will reappear as reward seats so you may end up with nothing. There is no process of "moving" reward seats from one booking to another.

Plenty of people have managed to add the return in at midnight, the Japanese office seems quite a popular choice and they seem to have some competent agents.
Thanks KARFA. Agree that the midnight option is usually fine, but I've been disappointed a couple of times and so was wondering if there was another way (and I have ready from others that what I've described above was even recommended once by a BA agent). What about booking the return seats online using the BA.com "hold/reserve" mechanism, and then calling BA to drop the hold and re-allocate to the existing 2-4-1 booking?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:11 am

Thanks KARFA. Agree that the midnight option is usually fine, but I've been disappointed a couple of times and so was wondering if there was another way (and I have ready from others that what I've described above was even recommended once by a BA agent). What about booking the return seats online using the BA.com "hold/reserve" mechanism, and then calling BA to drop the hold and re-allocate to the existing 2-4-1 booking?
The hold and reserve function doesn't apply to reward bookings.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
The logic here is that you aren't a hostage to fortune of getting a good telephone agent at midnight. You can bag the return seats online yourself by 12:01. You can then speak to the agent to sort it out later in the day, when there's no urgency.
It's been reported to work in comments on HFP. I think the process is phone up and cancel the return flights then hope they become available again. Might depend on how good/helpful an agent you get through to. I don't think you're supposed to be able to add a 241 retrospectively.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:15 am

Thanks all. Guess I'll stick to the midnight call centre.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by omk298
It's been reported to work in comments on HFP. I think the process is phone up and cancel the return flights then hope they become available again. Might depend on how good/helpful an agent you get through to. I don't think you're supposed to be able to add a 241 retrospectively.
There are plenty more comments on here that it works, we don't need to refer to HfP to show that.

Even the most helpful agent can't guarantee that when a reward booking is cancelled the seats will definitely become available again.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:20 am

Another random question -- I have read previously that, if you are Avios-rich, you can:
  • Book the outbound at T-355 at midnight online, using the 2-4-1 voucher
  • Book return leg tickets at T-355 at midnight online as a separate booking (note: this uses twice as much Avios as booking the outbound, as at this stage there is no 2-4-1 applied to the booking)
  • Call up BA later in the day once the UK call centre is open to have the two return tickets 'moved' to the 2-4-1 booking. This results in a partial Avios refund and a recalculation of the taxes payable (since there is now a return booking, rather than two one-way bookings).
Does anyone have any experience of having made this work?

Thanks in advance
Yes, I have done precisely this, successfully. But there are no guarantees. I wanted to grab the return seats, on-line, before the availability disappeared, and I was willing to take the risk that I might not be able to add the flight to my existing 2-4-1 outbound booking. YMMV.

By the way, this did not involve canceling the return booking and hoping the seats re-appeared. The agent simply applied the 2-4-1 voucher to the booking and refunded the avios.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
By the way, this did not involve canceling the return booking and hoping the seats re-appeared. The agent simply applied the 2-4-1 voucher to the booking and refunded the avios.
Yes, but that is a different method again from what hearingdouble has suggested.

I think as general advice either your method or that of hearingdouble is not recommended. Instead, the recommended method is as noted on FT many times already, namely book the outbound using the voucher at 355 days and then add the inbound when those dates open up. This seems to be the most efficient way to do it.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:10 am

Yes, but that is a different method again from what hearingdouble has suggested.
Is it? I'm trying and failing to see a difference.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Is it? I'm trying and failing to see a difference.
hearingdouble method:
  • Book the outbound at T-355 at midnight online, using the 2-4-1 voucher
  • Book return leg tickets at T-355 at midnight online as a separate booking (note: this uses twice as much Avios as booking the outbound, as at this stage there is no 2-4-1 applied to the booking)
  • Call up BA later in the day once the UK call centre is open to have the two return tickets 'moved' to the 2-4-1 booking. This results in a partial Avios refund and a recalculation of the taxes payable (since there is now a return booking, rather than two one-way bookings).

Steve in Olympia said that the agent " simply applied the 2-4-1 voucher to the booking and refunded the avios." so I assumed that the voucher was not initially used when booking the outbound, but that could be my misunderstanding so apologies if so.

In any case, I don't think either method is advised. The advised method is that set out in the wiki:

Q: Can I book my outbound flight at 355 days and call back to add the return booking?
A: Yes, but you will need to call BA. Once availability shows, you can call to add the return leg – the BA policy is to waive the Ł35 change fee per passenger if the return was beyond the booking window when you booked the outbound, i.e. that you booked your outbound leg when seats became available at T-355.

For example: If you booked your outbound at T-355 and called later to add the return leg the change fee would be waived. If you booked your outbound at T-50 and then booked the return for T-60 a few days later, the fee will not be waived.

Q: As redemption seats are released at midnight GMT, what is the best way to secure them? There is no guarantee they will be available when the BA office opens in the morning!
A: A common practice on the forum is to use this tool and call a BA office that is open at midnight GMT. You will then be able to make the booking without waiting for your local office to open. Depending on timezone, Japan, Hong Kong and even the USA are frequently contacted for this purpose.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
Firstly thanks to everyone on here who provides the answers to the (what must seem sometimes to be blindingly obvious) questions that people like me post.

Secondly, here's my situation and question;

We (the wife and I) have 137,000 avios in the household account, and a 241 voucher ready to use.

Our plan is to book F outbound to San Diego and I can see availability for a date we want.

That'll cost us 85,000 points.

We want to return from AN Other airport - probably San Fran, Oakland or Vegas etc (not important at this point, or for my question) - in J, which will cost us 62,500 points.
I know we'll get the extra avios we need in about 6-8 weeks from now.

So the question is - how long can I leave it between booking the outbound and the inbound, or is there no restriction?

All the queries and answers I've found so far all relate to T-355 which isn't of relevance in this situation, we're talking outbound in around 10 months and return a couple of weeks later.

Just concerned the F availability will disappear if I wait until we have enough avios to book the return, but equally concerned that if I book the outbound and leave it 8 weeks to book the rtn I might be told 'too late'.

My gut says that's unlikely and what I want to do is fine, I suppose I'm just looking for the validation a nod or two on here might provide!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:26 am

As I specifically stated in post 172, I did precisely what hearingdouble suggested. And I said that I added the return flight to "my existing 2-4-1 outbound booking."
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
No restriction, but any change just needs to be 24 hours before travel of the first sector. If dates and cabin are available now, grab em.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Yes, you can add the return at any point but you'll have to pay the change fee (unlike adding the return when the date comes online).

You have the additional gamble of hoping for some availability of course, as the original allocation of seats will be long gone on those popular routes.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
As I specifically stated in post 172, I did precisely what hearingdouble suggested. And it worked. Yes, it is a gamble, but for impatient flyers, it is a possibility.
Thanks all -- I think Steve may be describing what I'm talking about... it's hard to say because I've never done it any only heard it talked about. Steve, when you say that the agent was able to apply the 2-4-1 to the already-booked return leg (without cancelling it), does that mean that ended up with two sets of one-way booking references (each of which benefitted from the 2-4-1)? How did you describe to the agent what you wanted them to do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.