Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
IIRC, the mileage rule was clearly stated by the BAEC official representative here, so it had some authority.

One interesting wrinkle in the rule is that what we were told was the standard IATA rule: the surface sector must be shorter than either flown sector. However, that is not the standard BA rule on cash fares, which typically provide that the surface sector must not be the longest sector. (Sector = fare component on cash fares.)

There will be a lot of automation involved in enforcing the cash fare rule. I wonder whether there are so few cases of award tickets that might engage the rule that it's all done manually. And if you get your KIX ticket issued, I'd be surprised if BA would then later cancel or amend the ticket for this reason alone. But this is all rather speculative.
Thanks for the input. I will plan for both Osaka and Narita just in case. This is September's issue so will report back then. My current issue is the possible pilot strike in August. So off to that thread this morning
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
DXB has been good for F availability as 2 out of the 3 flights are overnight, and a lot of people don't value F over CW on short night flights where they'll be asleep for most of it.

DXB is one of the first A350 routes with the new CW cabin. By Feb 2 out of 3 flights per day are scheduled to be the A350, which has no F cabin. So bear in mind there's a chance it'll go all A350 and you'll be downgraded.

So, assuming you're on the last flight
Thats really good feedback and actually a I've asked this question several times without a response so thank you very much.

We are booked on both days lights there and back, departing LHR on the BA107 at 12:50 and we leave DXB on the BA104 at 12:45.

Is there a chance we'll get the new first on the converted 777's? Also with our flights, If you were a betting man, would these be the flights to be downgraded?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:22 am

Is it possible to add a connection originating outside of UK to a 2-4-1 redemption?

For example: use your 2-4-1 for LHR-JFK, but would like to have CDG-LHR added to same ticket. Full itinerary would be CDG-LHR-JFK-LHR. I don’t mind having to pay avios for both passengers in the CDG leg.

Reason being having bags checked through to JFK and not being out of pocket if CDG flight is delayed, etc.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Daventry
Is it possible to add a connection originating outside of UK to a 2-4-1 redemption?

For example: use your 2-4-1 for LHR-JFK, but would like to have CDG-LHR added to same ticket. Full itinerary would be CDG-LHR-JFK-LHR. I don’t mind having to pay avios for both passengers in the CDG leg.

Reason being having bags checked through to JFK and not being out of pocket if CDG flight is delayed, etc.
no you can’t add the CDG flights to it. You would have two tickets and need to plan for picking up and rechecking bags, and leave plenty of time as there won’t be any protection between the separate tickets.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

no you can’t add the CDG flights to it. You would have two tickets and need to plan for picking up and rechecking bags, and leave plenty of time as there won’t be any protection between the separate tickets.
That’s what I thought, thanks for confirming.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
What's a better way to book an open jaw: book a round trip online and ask for the inbound to be amended or only book a one way and add the return over the phone? Last time I used a voucher (actually my wife's voucher) adding a return was a real pain, I think more than an hour of being on hold AFTER I was able to get through to talk to someone. Would changing an already booked flight be any quicker? I'm assuming reservation change fee applies either way.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by psychopompos
What's a better way to book an open jaw: book a round trip online and ask for the inbound to be amended or only book a one way and add the return over the phone? Last time I used a voucher (actually my wife's voucher) adding a return was a real pain, I think more than an hour of being on hold AFTER I was able to get through to talk to someone. Would changing an already booked flight be any quicker? I'm assuming reservation change fee applies either way.
BA does not typically charge a change fee when adding a return flight if the return date was not available at the time the outbound was booked.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

BA does not typically charge a change fee when adding a return flight if the return date was not available at the time the outbound was booked.
For better or worse not the case with this particular booking. Original aim was to go to Tokyo, but there's no availability on LON-TYO in March, whereas ICN is quite open. Oh well, it will turn into a 2in1 241 trip.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: IB Platino
Possible to earn 2 companion vouchers in one year?

Recently signed up for the premium card, around mid June, spent the required 10k in around 6 weeks and earned the voucher.
Have downgraded to the standard card, the offers page seems to retain the previous spend towards the 20k target on the standard card.

"To earn your Companion Voucher, spend £20,000 or more on purchases using your Card by 10 Jun 2020.

So far you have spent £10,515, so spend £9,484 or more by 10 Jun 2020 to receive your Companion Voucher. Subject to availability, taxes, fees and charges remain payable. Terms and Conditions apply. One Companion Voucher per Card membership year."

So will I get a second voucher if I spend another 9484 in the next few weeks, or is this a mistake?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by James1715

Recently signed up for the premium card, around mid June, spent the required 10k in around 6 weeks and earned the voucher.
Have downgraded to the standard card, the offers page seems to retain the previous spend towards the 20k target on the standard card.

"To earn your Companion Voucher, spend £20,000 or more on purchases using your Card by 10 Jun 2020.

So far you have spent £10,515, so spend £9,484 or more by 10 Jun 2020 to receive your Companion Voucher. Subject to availability, taxes, fees and charges remain payable. Terms and Conditions apply. One Companion Voucher per Card membership year."

So will I get a second voucher if I spend another 9484 in the next few weeks, or is this a mistake?
It's a mistake.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I had the same scenario. I agree with fruitcage. It is a mistake.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by James1715

The Terms & Conditions leave no doubt:
  1. Only one Companion Voucher can be earned in any 12 month period. If the Cardmember reaches their spend target within 12 months of their Card Account start date then further spend will not accumulate towards another Companion Voucher. Cardmembers can begin earning towards their next Companion Voucher after their 12 month Card anniversary date.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by psychopompos
In case anyone in the same predicament comes across this in the future, here's what happened.

I decided to go a third route and make the whole booking over the phone. Called the US silver number around 21:30 UK time and was done in 15 minutes. I think I wasn't charged a booking fee, but even if I was, it should've been 2x£10 for a phone booking rather than 2x£35 for a change.

In my limited experience of doing this twice, doing the whole thing over the phone was way faster and easier than amending an existing booking, however this is only applicable if both legs have availability.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:46 am

Please bear with me as this is my first post and might be lengthy as I am trying to get my head around this all. I have been reading about the companion voucher and I came across the wealth of information on this forum.

I have recently qualified for the 2-4-1 voucher and would like to ensure that I get the most value out of the offer (like everyone else here!). I had some questions after reading through:

1. How long on average does it take to get through to the BA Avios telephone line in London? Are there times when the phone lines are less busy? Are other offices that I can call instead and get through quicker? I am correct in saying that it is a premium rate line?

2. I have read in the thread that there are some circumstances when booking 2 one ways results in paying lower taxes. I was thinking about going to Hong Kong or Tokyo in CW next year. The best option seems to involve booking the outbound with voucher online, then the inbound with the ‘full’ Avios online and calling BA to get the voucher applied. Then ‘half’ of the Avios will be refunded to the account for the inbound flights booked online. I am aware that this option requires the Avios balance to be large enough to proceed and then call to get the ‘refund’ with the voucher applied.

If I were to book the outbound online (as a one way) and call BA to book the inbound would I still be able to realise the reduced taxes as a saving? Are there charges associated with this type of booking? I am asking as I might not have the Avios balance to book the inbound flight online and call for the refund.

3. Is there a specific language to use when talking to the agent when adding an inbound to an outbound flight for a 2-4-1 voucher? I ask as reading through this some of the agents are not always aware if this can be done and there has been some confusion with some transactions.

4. I was considering an open jaw flight flying within the US, starting and finishing in London. The taxes for the US seem to be highest and have seen that it is best to book as a return to reduce taxes, if that is correct? Is there any option to reduce the fees, without starting travel via Inverness or Jersey?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Ba
Hi
My husband and I both had 241 companion vouchers and have managed to book outbound flights to `Bangkok on the day of release. We now need to book the return flights preferably from Singapore and they are released at 1am Monday morning.
We don’t have enough avios to do it online and claim half back. My questions are:
- which is the best / easiest call Center to use (and where can I find the numbers?)
- can we just make one call (rather than both calling separately) and ask the agent to hold 4 seats (whatever class is available) and then get them to allocate / do the booking for each of us or do we both need to phone and do it separately (we will both be together when calling)?
Lots of thanks for all the fab advice in this forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.