Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge access 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This was mentioned on either the DL or AA boards recently where club bar tenders will card everyone even if they know you because it is state law to card and there are mystery shoppers who check that carding takes place and the bar tender could lose their job if they don't

And a few years ago I was in a the bar and my neighbour was carded (as I was) and jokingly asked if the bar tender would even card his own mother and the answer came back 'yes and she'd report me if I didn't'!
Never mind the bar tender, the venue can lose their liquor license. That happening tends to put a damper on your trade.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 13, 2019 at 3:13 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This was mentioned on either the DL or AA boards recently where club bar tenders will card everyone even if they know you because it is state law to card and there are mystery shoppers who check that carding takes place and the bar tender could lose their job if they don't

And a few years ago I was in a the bar and my neighbour was carded (as I was) and jokingly asked if the bar tender would even card his own mother and the answer came back 'yes and she'd report me if I didn't'!
Once it wasn't a problem getting a Bud Light, I've even been proactively offered alcohol in an Admirals Club.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I recommend that kids travel with SWISS, where drinking age is 16.

Jokes asside, is this a problem anywhere else than the US and the UK? The extreme alcohol aversion never ceases to amaze me in those 2 countries. Considering binge drinking is rife, it doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.
I’m not sure I have ever heard anyone suggest that the U.K. has a problem with extreme alcohol aversion before now!!! Quite the opposite, in fact. And certainly when I was growing up, attitudes towards enforcing the legal minimum drinking age were ‘flexible’.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
What's the official policy on age?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
What's the official policy on age?
On BA, 18 years of age and on all US carriers 21.

Whether this is enforced YMMV and they usually do not care.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Bringing up this old thread. I’m 19, at JFK at the moment - denied access due to age and was offered a $19 voucher for use in the terminal.
My kid got a $29 voucher yesterday flying CW. Maybe they upped it?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends on the airport. Don't even think about it in the USA, the walls of civilisation will surely tumble. However at Kennedy T7 they may get a CCR invite instead. Other places may or may not be more relaxed about it, depending on the perceived maturity of the passenger.
Planning to book BA LHR-JFK return on Club World for my son who's 16. Is it likely that he'll be allowed into BA lounges, and is the CCR invite still given nowadays? Would appreciate any recent experience.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by oscar777
Planning to book BA LHR-JFK return on Club World for my son who's 16. Is it likely that he'll be allowed into BA lounges, and is the CCR invite still given nowadays? Would appreciate any recent experience.
Depends how old he looks and how he dresses, if he has status it helps. I would bet on being turned away however.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Once it wasn't a problem getting a Bud Light, I've even been proactively offered alcohol in an Admirals Club.
I don’t think Bud Light classes as Alcohol does it ?
miamiflyer8 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A lot has changed, and at the moment I suspect the usual lounges would be OK since alcoholic drinks are dispensed under adult supervision. I actually don't know how it will work right now, but if he gives the impression of maturity, then he will be treated accordingly. I would hope some lounge access would be facilitated, and that he should go to Galleries Club initially, but if he is declined there he should gently enquire if it's ok to go to CCR instead.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum oscar777. It's good to see you here and I hope you will continue to participate here.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:23 am

My 16 year old travelled JFK-LHR a month ago in CW by himself and he was directed to the CCR at JFK. Not sure about the policy at LHR.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:04 am

If he has status he could invite an "adult" found somewhere in the terminal to accompany him as a guest.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hungry
I don’t think Bud Light classes as Alcohol does it ?
In the US, I remember someone being asked for proof of identification when asking for a Heineken 0.0 somewhere, although, it might depend on the local laws of the US state.
Some states, even ID you if you are seating in the vicinity of a bar despite consuming alcohol or not. ( Eg. Washington State )
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm not overly worried about it. It would just be having a beer or a glass of vino with dinner anyway then we'll be off to sleep as it's an 11pm departure. We've got a flight out of T3 about a week after his birthday, so we'll be paying the Cathay Lounge a visit.
Of course, in UK law a 16 or 17 year old "can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal." if accompanied by an adult.

Anyway, as others have said, there shouldn't be any issues raised anyway, but good to know.

I remember very well 'selling' alcohol at age 16 when I was working on the tills at Tesco many years ago

GOV.UK
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Of course, in UK law a 16 or 17 year old "can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal." if accompanied by an adult.

Anyway, as others have said, there shouldn't be any issues raised anyway, but good to know.

I remember very well 'selling' alcohol at age 16 when I was working on the tills at Tesco many years ago

GOV.UK
This is an old post, but made me remember what actually happened. When we boarded the flight to London he still wasn't 18. Cabin Crew asked his age and said he couldn't drink. Seems not all the crew got the message as I woke up in the morning to find he'd spent the night watching movies and drinking champagne served by one of the crew. He ended up falling asleep before breakfast was served and then on the short hop LHR-CDG he coulnd't stomach a drink and fell asleep again.
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.