Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge access 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I actually don't see a problem with juniors in the lounges, as long as they are well behaved. A 15 year old does not get a discount on his premier ticket. It's better the airline know where their premier passengers are - and BA could create a lounge space for their junior golds and premiers.. At smaller loungers, it is not really an issue as the lounge dragon could enforce the rule

Rather than parents encouraging juniors to break the rules... perhaps the airline should be more accommodating..
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
I am out the other side of this issue and the only place they had issues was in LHR. Eldest who was not a drinker would always grab a random stranger and not as mentioned before ask to be supervised, but explicitly agree the arrangement only lasted to pass the entrance. He had various challenges from lounge agents but always prevailed.
And also backing up CWS' point which seems perverse, he spent many hours in CCR in JFK where they would admit him as the bar is tended.
Otherwise it was never an issue.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I'm still under 18 and always had a 100% success rate going to lounges on my own. List:

GC North and GC South (3 times on the same day :/) -> April 2017
CCR; DUB Lounge -> December 2016
AA also let me in their secondary JFK Admiral's Club earlier this year.

At the lounge, I've seen that after the boarding pass is scanned: there is a tick to indicate lounge access eligibility. Considering that I wasn't 18 and I saw the tick come up on their side, lounge access (for T5 at least) should be fine regardless.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Indeed, I once took a flight straight from work and had left my knife and fork in my bag without thinking about it, went through LHR security where they were removed as 'dangerous weapons, to be given a knife and fork in the CCR ⌗Ironic
If you check the toilets there are containers for disposing of used needles.I would bet the needles would be more dangerous than a knife or fork.The containers are rarely emptied.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by rapidex
If you check the toilets there are containers for disposing of used needles.I would bet the needles would be more dangerous than a knife or fork.The containers are rarely emptied.
Indeed, many a comedian has joked about the security policy and then being able to buy razors in Boots for example.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends on the airport. Don't even think about it in the USA, the walls of civilisation will surely tumble. However at Kennedy T7 they may get a CCR invite instead. Other places may or may not be more relaxed about it, depending on the perceived maturity of the passenger.
Mind you, in US the drinking age is 21 no? So they let in 18 year olds right? What happens when they drink at 18?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, this is scary. When teens are traveling alone, they shouldn't be approaching random adults to ask for a favor. If they pick the wrong adult, bad things could happen.
I think you have been reading too much Dailymail.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Premier Owl

Rather than parents encouraging juniors to break the rules... perhaps the airline should be more accommodating..
BA could come to some arrangement with Starbucks when under 18's are travelling alone and qualify for lounge access.

Pretty sure the under 18's would use such a perk far more sensibly than certain adults did at T5C.
testycal likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
BA could come to some arrangement with Starbucks when under 18's are travelling alone and qualify for lounge access.

Pretty sure the under 18's would use such a perk far more sensibly than certain adults did at T5C.

Good idea, however, the number of under 18s who have lounge access when travelling alone would be very small in the grand scheme.

I would also make the assumption that many of these teenagers are not out to get drunk in the lounges. Some of the lounges in the network do not have alcohol open to grab usually from a bar such as in Admirals club.

I remember there was an incident when the actress Masey Williams was denied access in Los Angles when she was under 18.

I doubt that there are many young frequent flyers out there who have status or travel in premium cabins. I wonder how many under 18s have status with BA??

Last edited by BABenchley; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC
What's the law onboard?

I only ask because on my first ever solo flight (at 17) I used BA's unaccompanied minor service (skipped the queues so why not!). I found myself upgraded to premium economy at the gate....first FA came over and told me to ask them if I needed anything. Second FA came over with pre-departure fizz
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Beansprout
What's the law onboard?

I only ask because on my first ever solo flight (at 17) I used BA's unaccompanied minor service (skipped the queues so why not!). I found myself upgraded to premium economy at the gate....first FA came over and told me to ask them if I needed anything. Second FA came over with pre-departure fizz
The Huffington Post has answered this question here.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Beansprout
What's the law onboard?

On the ground I think technically it's the law of the country you're in, but once in the air the law of the country that the aircraft is registered to applies. But really these are only technicalities
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Mind you, in US the drinking age is 21 no? So they let in 18 year olds right? What happens when they drink at 18?
The universe comes to an end quicker than that predicted by using the Large Hadron Collider, hence the extreme caution.

A very big
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
I only once had a problem getting into a lounge when I was under 18, this was at LGW with an absolute dragon of a staff member who spoke to me in an awful manner- with one of those 'all teenagers are yobs' kind of attitudes.

However, this was only one occasion out of many, almost monthly lounge visits for me (between about 15-18) in a whole host of airports, mostly when I was Silver travelling in Y. In hindsight I'd now consider asking someone near the entrance who looks relatively approachable if no one is available on the FT meet up thread!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

I think you have been reading too much Dailymail.
They do not let 18 year olds in the US lounges.Which causes a problem with the sleeper services,under 21's cannot use the lounge for pre flight dining when travelling alone and there is no meal onboard in CW.Predictably BA offer no compensation.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I am young, and to add insult to injury (in terms of going to bars and accessing other places for those "of age"), I look young (I hear "are you 16" a lot). However, nobody has ever asked me to see any sort of credentials at LHR or otherwise in Europe. I usually dress nice when flying (even when flying Y), approach with a smile, and get nothing more than a "welcome in." This would work for me when I was not "of age," but I was close (~17).

Of course, if you're in the USA, it is much different...

My son is 2 months from his 18th,and looks 18 and got in.When he was 16 he was denied entry.His answer was to find an adult downstairs and guest him in.
Sheffield University he hopesOn his recent CE flight to NCE when some DYK muttered about row 1 being for golds(B767) he whipped out his gold card and replied "Golds like this" before settling in his seat and accepting a "stiffener* from the cc.Well,he was of to meet his French girlfriends parents for the first time.^
Originally Posted by Worcester
Clever lad, he will go far (if you will excuse the pun).
+1. Sharp kid. You should be a proud parent.
george77300 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.