Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No drinks apart from coffee and tea [proactively offered] in CE? [breakfast service]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No drinks apart from coffee and tea [proactively offered] in CE? [breakfast service]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb No drinks apart from coffee and tea [proactively offered] in CE? [breakfast service]

As per title,

I was not on the flight but was told on today's BA2590 LGW-BRI leaving LGW 07:25am no drinks of any kind apart from coffee and tea were served/offered.

Someone in row 2 went to the galley mid flight and came back with 2 cokes and 2 glasses of champagne after asking, nothing was proactively offered.

A bit of disappointment for those hoping in a Champagne breakfast as a start of their holidays.

Am I missing some "enhancements" on early morning flights?

Cheers
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
In my (admittedly limited) experience of early morning CE flights, this has been pretty much the norm for some years - and there's a certain logic that says the vast majority of passengers are not quite like many FTers and are far more likely to stick to tea, coffee and water early in the morning.

I have never had an issue with getting champagne with breakfast, although if I believe I'm likely to want it I will pro-actively drop a large hint to the CC as soon as practicable after boarding so the bottles can be chilled.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Someone in row 2 went to the galley mid flight and came back with 2 cokes and 2 glasses of champagne after asking, nothing was proactively offered.
What a misleading thread title. This would have been better :-

"We had to ask for cold drinks in CE".
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What a misleading thread title. This would have been better :-

"We had to ask for cold drinks in CE".
Equally you would expect them to offer drinks other than hot ones...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by 81romeo
As per title,

I was not on the flight but was told on today's BA2590 LGW-BRI leaving LGW 07:25am no drinks of any kind apart from coffee and tea were served/offered.

A bit of disappointment for those hoping in a Champagne breakfast as a start of their holidays.

Am I missing some "enhancements" on early morning flights?

Cheers
I've observed the same on similarly-timed flights over the past few years. The minute the first brave soul has asked, there seems to be a stampede to the galley and the champagne flows freely.

Generally, I don't drink before midday, but I think BA could be a little more proactive and spare the tension for those who do wish to partake.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Was your contact asked 'tea of coffee?' or 'something to drink?'

Big difference between them.

My recent CE flights it's been the latter (though they have been later in the day)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
When the FA ask you if you would like tea or coffee just reply with " a glass of champagne please "
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
They normally offer water, orange & tomato juice as I recall as well as tea and coffee on morning flights. Even one drink in the morning leaves me feeling faintly hungover by lunch so it's never bothered me.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Crew should surely be asking CE passengers: "tea, coffee or anything from the bar?" so that the non regular travelers know that they can get something other than tea or coffee if they want.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Its really very simple.

Just smile and answer, "Champagne of course darling."
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
In my (admittedly limited) experience of early morning CE flights, this has been pretty much the norm for some years - and there's a certain logic that says the vast majority of passengers are not quite like many FTers and are far more likely to stick to tea, coffee and water early in the morning.

I have never had an issue with getting champagne with breakfast, although if I believe I'm likely to want it I will pro-actively drop a large hint to the CC as soon as practicable after boarding so the bottles can be chilled.
This ^

I avoid early morning flights like the plague but do take them if forced or connecting from long haul Champagne is always available in Club Europe, and that includes breakfast - even on the shortest sector MAN-LHR!

Typically on the short band flights you'll see a few small bottles on top of the trolley. I've not yet flown on a medium/long band sector at breakfast but champagne will be available (and poured from 750ml bottles) even if there are no bottles on top of the trolley.

Obviously FTers are not shy at asking, but, as the old adage goes: if you don't ask you don't get. And that goes for those who enjoy a G&T with their breakfast
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
On my recent 0720 flight from LGW I was just asked if I wanted tea or coffee but I just asked for champagne. As I was sitting in the front row I was merely helping all the people behind not feel embarrassed to ask of course . Agree that if you have not flown CE before you may not know what's available.
For once though I have to say that BA is better than some of the competitors. On an Air France flight in business class at 0940 I was told they did not serve champagne on flights that early. Not what I expected from a French airline
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by atcer28
On my recent 0720 flight from LGW I was just asked if I wanted tea or coffee but I just asked for champagne. As I was sitting in the front row I was merely helping all the people behind not feel embarrassed to ask of course ...
^
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by atcer28
For once though I have to say that BA is better than some of the competitors. On an Air France flight in business class at 0940 I was told they did not serve champagne on flights that early. Not what I expected from a French airline
I once asked for a diet coke on an early Air France flight in business and was denied!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A total abstainer writes:

I am loving all these helpful tips on how to ask for a drink. Never thought it was so complicated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.