Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Taking the Highland Spring (glass) bottles from the lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking the Highland Spring (glass) bottles from the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by richardwft
Where does it explicitly say this?
Doesn't need to. It's a well established principal in English law that unless something is prohibited, then it is permitted. If there is no sign saying that items must be consumed in the lounge, then there can be no prohibition on taking some away. I also don't quite see how I can "steal" something that is being given away.

My personal rule is I'll only take what I can reasonably consume while I'm BA's guest, either on the ground or in flight. The lounge refreshments are provided to make my time with BA more enjoyable, so I don't see a lot of difference if I consume the items on the ground or in the air. I wouldn't stock up to refill the larder at home though.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Doesn't need to. It's a well established principal in English law that unless something is prohibited, then it is permitted. If there is no sign saying that items must be consumed in the lounge, then there can be no prohibition on taking some away. I also don't quite see how I can "steal" something that is being given away.

My personal rule is I'll only take what I can reasonably consume while I'm BA's guest, either on the ground or in flight. The lounge refreshments are provided to make my time with BA more enjoyable, so I don't see a lot of difference if I consume the items on the ground or in the air. I wouldn't stock up to refill the larder at home though.
So you fulfill your in-flight catering needs from the lounge?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
So you fulfill your in-flight catering needs from the lounge?
I like having a piece of fruit on a long haul, so I'll take a banana from the lounge. So partially, yes.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I like having a piece of fruit on a long haul, so I'll take a banana from the lounge. So partially, yes.
Well that is a long way from one poster I remember posting about pouring JW Blue into his drinks container for later consumption. Tricky one on where to draw the line, but my sense is that your example and his are either side of it.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
This thread is nearly as daft as the thread about getting Seq 1.

Er, life, anyone?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by richardwft
Where does it explicitly say this?
Nowhere does it explicitly say that things like coffee, tea, crisps, and the like are acceptable for takeaway. However, I'd like to think that a reasonable person could see that there is little harm in taking a bag of crisps or a takeaway cup of coffee while leaving the lounge on the way to another BA flight.

If someone filled a backpack with crisps and beers to take home, that's a different story...

Originally Posted by T8191
Interesting 'theory'
I wouldn't say I'm purporting a theory here--I'm just being reasonable. I do think that there is some innate/subconscious/natural "line in the sand" that differentiates between taking a bag of crisps for personal consumption (acceptable) and filling a Nalgene bottle with JW Blue (wrong). BA offers the snacks as a benefit for passengers to enjoy in transit, so I think they want you to enjoy them so long as your not abusing the benefit.

Say you just came off a long intra-Europe flight and have a fast connection to an international flight in the Satellite concourses, leaving you with about a 10-minute visit to the lounge. You're also very hungry, and you know that air traffic at LHR is snarled and it will be a long time until you're fed. Wouldn't it be acceptable to take a bag to-go?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
On more occasions than I can count, outstation lounges and various crew over the years on many airlines have given me an extra bottle of water for the upcoming flight or hotel. Perhaps it's because water is about all I drink, but I could see how someone might not understand the difference.

That said, I would never drink out of one of the large bottles or believe that it is for takeaway purposes.

Regarding UncleT's question about why so much water, it's to make up for the missing alcohol. That and it's part of my jetlag prevention technique.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:56 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I've seen people carrying the big bottles out the lounge all the time I don't class it as theft anymore than I would grab a packet of crisps or piece of fruit as I leave the lounge.

I always ask the lounge staff if they could fill my empty bottle of water with tap water and the other day a lady offered to do it from one of the lounge bottles. I thanked her but would have been quite happy with tap water
This weekend I attempted to refill my water bottle from the soda fountain in a Deutsche Bahn lounge. The lounge dragon rushed over and wags her finder saying "verboten." I was filling it with sparking water and it's a 330ml bottle.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
This weekend I attempted to refill my water bottle from the soda fountain in a Deutsche Bahn lounge. The lounge dragon rushed over and wags her finder saying "verboten." I was filling it with sparking water and it's a 330ml bottle.
Possibly hygiene concerns, i.e. bottles that have been directly touching people's mouths touching the outlet?

At some QF lounges there is an instruction to use a fresh glass every time you want a drink for that reason.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
has anyone seen anyone swigging directly from a Champagne Bottle?
Yes several times, once at LTN on the way to a ski trip the rest of the group were busy getting drunk at 09:00 - I was the designated driver (through choice as I knew the others would just drink and drive).

All the other occasions were rugby related and that is as far as that will go.

With regards to stuff being taken from the lounge the test if reasonableness comes into play. I have seen a guy enter the CPT SLOW lounge, go straight to the fridges and fill his duffel bag with cans of coke and then just walk out. I just stood there shocked at how brazen he was as there was a member of staff stood there watching.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by cme17
I normally drink more than one glass of champagne/wine- is it acceptable to take a bottle of fizzy/wine to my table? I really don't know the answer - I think it is wrong but people think it is ok to place a bottle of water on their table - what is the difference?
Common sense probably. There are normally loads of bottles of water (like 30 or 40)!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
T8191, an I imagining things or did you once post a photo of the notice in BA lounges that said you can't take food and drink for consumption outside the lounge?

If it wasn't you I am sure someone did but I can't find the post now.
T8191 posted a picture of a sign in a non BA lounge at LBA, which stated something about the refreshments being for lounge consumption only.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by cme17
I normally drink more than one glass of champagne/wine- is it acceptable to take a bottle of fizzy/wine to my table? I really don't know the answer - I think it is wrong but people think it is ok to place a bottle of water on their table - what is the difference?
More one for the DYKWIA thread but I was in that god awful Tenerife lounge and a member of the pink trouser brigade took the only bottle of red and put it on his table! I just sat in silent British disbelief but another chap went over, topped the guys glass up and took it back - much to everyone's amusement

He then proceeded to make a big fuss about priority boarding yet funnily enough I didn't see him in CE during the flight....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Nowhere does it explicitly say that things like coffee, tea, crisps, and the like are acceptable for takeaway. However, I'd like to think that a reasonable person could see that there is little harm in taking a bag of crisps or a takeaway cup of coffee while leaving the lounge on the way to another BA flight.

If someone filled a backpack with crisps and beers to take home, that's a different story...

I wouldn't say I'm purporting a theory here--I'm just being reasonable. I do think that there is some innate/subconscious/natural "line in the sand" that differentiates between taking a bag of crisps for personal consumption (acceptable) and filling a Nalgene bottle with JW Blue (wrong). BA offers the snacks as a benefit for passengers to enjoy in transit, so I think they want you to enjoy them so long as your not abusing the benefit.

Say you just came off a long intra-Europe flight and have a fast connection to an international flight in the Satellite concourses, leaving you with about a 10-minute visit to the lounge. You're also very hungry, and you know that air traffic at LHR is snarled and it will be a long time until you're fed. Wouldn't it be acceptable to take a bag to-go?
There used to be signs in the BA lounges inviting passengers to take something with them for the journey. They even provided take away cups and bags to enable this.

BA could stop passengers from removing food and drink from lounges any time they choose, but they don't. If BA don't want to stop people removing snacks, why should we?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HilFly
T8191 posted a picture of a sign in a non BA lounge at LBA, which stated something about the refreshments being for lounge consumption only.
I am sure I have seen them at BA lounges too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.