Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OK to be temporarily double booked on partner airline using Avios?

Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle

I've got A>B>C booked on non-BA flights using Avios but I'd now prefer to do A>B>D. BA says I can only make amendments to dates, not routing so my plan is to book my preferred itinerary and cancel the original once the new one is ticketed.

This means I will temporarily be double booked on A>B sector. I know I could just cancel then book, but availability is tight and I can't afford to take any chances on losing the original booking if the new one can't be had.

I found some previous posts on revenue/reward double booking and the opinion seemed to be that its fine in the order of hours/day but would eventually lead to cancellation. I assume same applies for reward/reward double booking?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
I've had one remain fine for days and another that autocancelled, despite both being ticketed, within 10 minutes. Sorry...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by BA6501
I've had one remain fine for days and another that autocancelled, despite both being ticketed, within 10 minutes. Sorry...
Interesting! Was it was original or the new booking that got auto cancelled?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a BA issue, but rather an issue for the operating carrier. Most prohibit "impossible" ticketing or purchasing a ticket without the intent to fly as booked. Needless to say, if you can't fly both tickets, you are violating the contract and subject to cancellation.

Whether the operating carrier cancels one or both or which one if it cancels will depend on the carrier and your (bad) luck.

You have not provided any information as to the route, the carrier or the specifics of the ticket, so it won't be possible to provide any informed information as to whether the specific carrier in question is likely to act. Whether it will has nothing to do with BA or avios.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
This is not a BA issue, but rather an issue for the operating carrier. Most prohibit "impossible" ticketing or purchasing a ticket without the intent to fly as booked. Needless to say, if you can't fly both tickets, you are violating the contract and subject to cancellation.

Whether the operating carrier cancels one or both or which one if it cancels will depend on the carrier and your (bad) luck.

You have not provided any information as to the route, the carrier or the specifics of the ticket, so it won't be possible to provide any informed information as to whether the specific carrier in question is likely to act. Whether it will has nothing to do with BA or avios.
Thanks, that is all new information to me. I thought it was a BA issue so was deliberately non-specific because I thought it would be irrelevant. The double booking would be on a QR flight from DOH to India in J. Any insight into risk of both bookings being cancelled would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm sensing that the chance of worst case scenario is small but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable taking it!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:03 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
delete not relevant to OP
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by s1362083
Interesting! Was it was original or the new booking that got auto cancelled?
It was the new booking. Both were pure BA itineraries.

IIRC your booking is a multipartner nightmare - but you should be able to change destinations within the same mileage band. Hang up and call again?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
To the OP, my suggestion is to do this over the phone. The agent has in my experience always been able to 'grab' the space on the phone, then process the cancellation, then ticket the new booking. This has always been on BA operated flights but i always got the impression they'd in effect start a new booking ('Booking 2') (but in such a way that the seats come out of inventory and are 'yours') then open a new 'tab' to process the cancellation of Booking 1, then switch back to take payment for and ticket Booking 2.

I'd do that to be honest. Apologies if I've missed something.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems to me that this is not as simple as I had imagined and it's probably not worth the hassle/risk of messing around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.