Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade a BA booked AA flight with Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Upgrade a BA booked AA flight with Avios?

I have a flight coming up in a few weeks from JFK to LHR which is booked via BA website, a 125 ticket flying on American airlines. Is it possible to upgrade that flight from economy to business using Avios (To be fair I do get a Main cabin extra already but as its overnight, Business would be preferable especially as I now need to go straight to work on landing)

ExpertFlyer is showing this as availability at the moment -
J7 R7 D7 I2 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

Ideally want to use Avios to upgrade and not cash upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What selling class are you currently booked in?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Apparently Selling class O
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unfortunately UuA of AA flights in economy are only possible for selling class Y and B.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Unfortunately UuA of AA flights in economy are only possible for selling class Y and B.
Just to add - upgrading in this situation would have been impossible regardless of the booking class as the flight was purchased as a BA*AA codeshare, and codeshare flights can't be upgraded with Avios.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is this true? All I can find on BA.com is that Q, O, and G are not upgradeable. I suspect that's relevant only for BA-operated, but I can't seem to find any real information about upgrades on AA flights. Plus, B is now basic economy so I doubt that's upgradeable...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ing-with-avios
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
All I can find on BA.com is that Q, O, and G are not upgradeable. I suspect that's relevant only for BA-operated, but I can't seem to find any real information about upgrades on AA flights.
Try going to https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ditions-of-use and then clicking the link that says "Upgrade using Avios on BA, AA and IB Flights", which will open up the T&Cs of doing that.

Not the easiest way of getting information unless you're a lawyer who loves reading T&Cs, but it may nevertheless be a bit more informative.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok thanks, there it is...
So only Y fare on AA is eligible for upgrades out of coach. Almost 100% worthless benefit... (Not to mention most J/C/D fares are probably issued by corporate travel agents so ineligible too).
And additionally, you have to book on AA marketed flights but you have to buy from BA? Will BA.com even sell you a domestic US AA ticket?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will BA.com even sell you a domestic US AA ticket?
I doubt that this is the use case for which the benefit was designed. If you have Avios to use on a domestic AA flight, I would have thought that you're likely to be better off simply making a pure Avios redemption, given BA's rates for pure awards.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I doubt that this is the use case for which the benefit was designed. If you have Avios to use on a domestic AA flight, I would have thought that you're likely to be better off simply making a pure Avios redemption, given BA's rates for pure awards.
Well, this is specifically related to a friend who has earned mostly in BA/LH programs (he's German but was working out of London for a while), and now wants to use some of his huge stash of BA points for domestic US travel. A pure redemption would be his first option, but saver availability can be difficult to come by. So we were looking into the possibility of buying coach and upgrading to business (yes, this is only incrementally more available than pure redemption awards -- on AA they're different inventory buckets). But full Y would be way more than buying discounted J, making this benefit nearly 100% worthless.

I wonder how many of these have been redeemed since the program was instituted. Less than 5?
What IS the use case for these upgrades?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we were looking into the possibility of buying coach and upgrading to business (yes, this is only incrementally more available than pure redemption awards -- on AA they're different inventory buckets).
You may want to check exactly how BAEC works when doing these, then. I don't know, but it wouldn't altogether surprise me if a BAEC upgrade award on an AA-coded flight will still require U class availability, the same as for a BAEC pure redemption. If that is the case, then this plan wouldn't really work for this additional reason. Hopefully someone else will be able to either confirm or refute this.
I imagine that at least one of them is corporate travel booked into Y class (but at a whopping discount through the negotiated corporate fare, so that the net price is comparable to something that a member of the public might buy), about the booking of which the passenger has no option but which the passenger can upgrade using their own Avios if they wish.

It is discussed here from time to time, so it cannot be an unknown situation.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to check exactly how BAEC works when doing these, then. I don't know, but it wouldn't altogether surprise me if a BAEC upgrade award on an AA-coded flight will still require U class availability, the same as for a BAEC pure redemption. If that is the case, then this plan wouldn't really work for this additional reason. Hopefully someone else will be able to either confirm or refute this.
Fair point on the required inventory. Would be interesting to know.

I imagine that at least one of them is corporate travel booked into Y class (but at a whopping discount through the negotiated corporate fare, so that the net price is comparable to something that a member of the public might buy), about the booking of which the passenger has no option but which the passenger can upgrade using their own Avios if they wish.
But the fare must be booked with BA directly in order to be eligible for upgrade, right? IME, corporate negotiated fares need to be booked by the corporate travel agent.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:59 am

You may want to check exactly how BAEC works when doing these, then. I don't know, but it wouldn't altogether surprise me if a BAEC upgrade award on an AA-coded flight will still require U class availability, the same as for a BAEC pure redemption. If that is the case, then this plan wouldn't really work for this additional reason. Hopefully someone else will be able to either confirm or refute this.I imagine that at least one of them is corporate travel booked into Y class (but at a whopping discount through the negotiated corporate fare, so that the net price is comparable to something that a member of the public might buy), about the booking of which the passenger has no option but which the passenger can upgrade using their own Avios if they wish.

It is discussed here from time to time, so it cannot be an unknown situation.
Ok so this is known as a JB ( joint business) upgrade with Avios. The booking classes to upgrade into are C for business and A for First class. Have to be honest i always find it weird that they chose C and not U!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

Sorry, confused re: some of the statements above.

Does it have to be on 125- stock, AND on an AA code? Is any other combination possible?

Looking at booking some flights from BKK-SDF in economy which I can route via various hubs. The short sectors like ORD-SDF are booking into Y. Can book via JAL, CX or AA depending on the routing - can any of these short sectors that book into Y be upgraded?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

I wonder how many of these have been redeemed since the program was instituted. Less than 5?
They provide a great value when upgrading some WTP fares that book into Y on domestic AA flights.

Originally Posted by HarryKUK

Does it have to be on 125- stock, AND on an AA code?
Yes, both conditions must be met. The ticket must be purchased directly from BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.