Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
Just got a salubrious text from my sister - straight from WT to CW on a long haul out of LHR. Her best friend is a CSM and left a note for the crew. It worked apparently, as when my sister (she has BA Blue) boarded, the CSD discreetly walked her and her mother-in-law to seats in CW. It was a special occasion, so that was lovely for them. Great when it happens to family, although the CSM apparently said it was a rare occurrence.
Did anyone complain to BA about it?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:43 pm
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Hope not - wouldn't want any trouble for the CSM.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by madfish
So you are annoyed because somebody was moved to a better seat and you wanted the same! As for the deduction that you are more likely to sit in F then they would have access to your CUV score so would have some understanding of your status.
out of curiosity, what is CUV score? I saw it mentioned few times now, but couldn't find what is it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Skyrocker
out of curiosity, what is CUV score? I saw it mentioned few times now, but couldn't find what is it.
There are multiple threads about it if you search, or equally the HFP post, although a couple of years old, explains the principle pretty well.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jed
I didn't want the presence of our infant son to disadvantage us
Although I do see where you're coming from, I'm sure you agree this could have been perhaps a little better phrased. I have generally found that travelling with youngsters can have just as many benefits, or even perhaps more than not with regards seating/service/attention etc.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Too tempting not to chime in:

If the First cabin was fair game for one group of people from the next cabin down, it should be fair enough for anyone from the preceding cabin who may ask to sit there. Really not a fan when some people get preferential treatment.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Jed
Hope not - wouldn't want any trouble for the CSM.
even though you like to create it? As someone who has been upgraded from WT to CW with wife and baby (CSD asked us to discreetly grab our stuff and follow him) , and have also seen people with lower status (yes, they left their BP on the CW seat, and I have strong glasses) being upgraded, but not me...

It happens (likely every day). In this sense, you actually got upgrade (CE-> CW). Be happy for the better seat and leave it at that. If you would have pushed for the seat and received it, would you have moved if a GGL/Prem noticed the upgrade bonanza, and asked the CSM to kick you out? Also, as someone who frequently travels with wife and baby... upgrades will likely not happen.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
Firstly, many thanks OP for posting; it has certainly led to a lively discussion which made for an interesting read after a long day working in A&E.

I would also apologies that you feel hard-done by by the decision to move the hen-party to F; although thankfully youve said that wasnt an issue. However, since you have included the fact that they were a hen party in your post, I would like to emphasise we have no reason to discount that the Captain made the decision and indeed, as you admit, you dont know the circumstances of the hen party. Your own suggestion that one could be terminal ill, others suggestion that one could have a higher states than you or including a traveller with higher status than you, all of which are indeed possible

However, Im sorry if you felt that the CSM was rude to you. It may of course, not been within the CSMs power to move you it the captain had already made the call to only allow the hen party into F for example. I am, however, glad, that the CSM managed to apologies to you later in the flight, the ability to recognise when an apology is required, particularly when one has been at fault in any way. It is admirable.

Had you been travelling for a special occasion, it might be worth discretely letting the CC know, they may or may not be in a position to make your event even more special. Indeed, if you are traveling for a special occasion, may I recommend letting your hotel know; I've certainly received unexpected gifts and upgrades when those I've been travelling with have let the hotel know of my special occasion.

I can empathise with asking again when you have seen F was opened up to someone else, but from experience may I recommend that you do this without expectation to receive the answer you are looking for to avoid disappointment and it would have been better to also do this discretely (by your own admission the discussion was witnessed by other passengers so I assuming this was not the case).

Out of pure curiosity, may I enquire whether you would have questioned the decision had the same number of pax not connected as a hen group had been moved into F but not you (this is purely for interest and totally hypothetical I appreciate).

I do hope that the hen party had a good time experiencing First and hope you managed to get an opportunity to congratulate the Bride.

The OP has not stated that he feels more entitled than others to be moved to the First cabin, but to those who feel that this should be the case, despite my own status, I fully appreciate the reasons may be of a commercial nature and whilst awarding loyal pax is important, so it attracting other pax.

Im glad you have taken the criticism well, you probably have coped better than I would in your shoes.

I hope you and your family have great time in Madrid, and who knows, you may be lucky on your next flight, Im sure you willl be at some point.

Are you the one who writes the copy and paste replies from BA customer services?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
There is of course, only 1 rule about upgrades. It runs something like this......

I am incredibly important and the only person who should be upgraded on any flight that I am on is me.

Rule 2. See rule 1.

Whilst I know this rule, I want to know why it doesn't apply to me.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Excluding this hen party... Have people seen the F cabin in use on this sector?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
What if the original post had been by An entitled gold and their brood, who had all been upgraded to First but who had been upset by loud and tipsy behaviour of a small party on a ladies day out?

Who should have been back downgraded in that case?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Schwann
Are you the one who writes the copy and paste replies from BA customer services?
Thanks you for taking the time to send your message, I'm sorry to learn that you feel that way. It is of course important to demonstrate independent thought in messages and I can only apologies if you feel I have let you down in this instance.

It is, of course, important to read previous messages carefully and offer a balance opinion based on one's experience, but it is clear that I can strive to improve the service that I deliver. I will ensure that this feedback is reflected upon by the individual concerned.

I wish you all the best with your future posts and trust this message draws this matter to a close, but should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do use the contact me personally in the details provided.

Yours

Navylad

Last edited by navylad; Apr 15, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jed
My issue is mainly with the attitude of the CSM.
I simply asked if we could be moved too, having clearly witnessed that the F cabin was not closed after all
Originally Posted by Jed
I asked the CSM if we could move up too, but was flatly denied. I said that was unfair. The CSM gave a variety of reasons and became more vocally aggressive during our 2 minute conversation.
So you simply asked (once) if you could be moved and were told no. That should have been the end of it. Why was there then a 2 minute conversation? What you describe as vocally aggressive I suggest was most likely the CSM becoming more assertive with someone who clearly wasn't going to take no for an answer
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by britenbsas
So you simply asked (once) if you could be moved and were told no. That should have been the end of it. Why was there then a 2 minute conversation? What you describe as vocally aggressive I suggest was most likely the CSM becoming more assertive with someone who clearly wasn't going to take no for an answer
No the OP didn't ask only once they asked FIVE times

- on phone with gold line
- at check in
- at the lounge
- at the gate
- on board.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No the OP didn't ask only once they asked FIVE times

- on phone with gold line
- at check in
- at the lounge
- at the gate
- on board.
I know! I was referring to on board. Asking just once on board as stated by the OP and then accepting the answer was clearly not what happened if a two minute conversation then ensued

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.