Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance Question - Not so straight-forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards

family of 4 on a single booking, all with seats. One traveler in the booking is AA ExecPlat (OW Emerald)

SIN-HKG on CX in business class
HKG-LHR on BA in business class
LHR-ACC on BA in first class

i understand CX uses MSC rule (most significant carrier), which in this case is BA. Correct?

if so, each passenger gets 2 bags x 32kg each as standard BA, business class allowance. Correct?

if so, does each passenger get 1 additional bag at 32kg, since BA allows it under their rules? Does it hold true even if a leg is on another carrier- first leg is CX.

The BA agent on the phone told me everyone would get an additional bag because of the Emerald traveler on the booking. I can't afford a surprise as this is our relocation trip and this will literally be the last of our possessions which won't be in a container.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Cannot answer the question but what are you planning on packing that requires 12x32kg? I think we have similar allowance later in the year plus buggy and car seat - we won't be doing anything like that much!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Cannot answer the question but what are you planning on packing that requires 12x32kg? I think we have similar allowance later in the year plus buggy and car seat - we won't be doing anything like that much!
OP says they're relocating. Seems reasonable to me that they may wish to take a lot of possessions. It's not always convenient to ship everything on.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

We are moving from Singapore to Ghana. Most things will be in our container and packing to receiving the container could take up to 3 months. This means 3 months of life for my wife, myself, a 4 year old, a 6 year old, and a newborn who will be born in between packing and receiving. Clothing, toys, irreplaceable items that I won't put in a sea shipment- like wedding photo albums, presents from son's birthday happening after container packs, good coffee, grinder, aeropress (happy wife, happy life), breast pump, body pillow, Moses basket for newborn, diapers, newborn clothes, wipes, 2 coolers of decent meat, and many other things we may want to have around with a family of 5.

Clearing goods in Ghana can be slow and dependent upon my work permit approval timeline. This could result ina long period of living from our bags.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
OP says they're relocating. Seems reasonable to me that they may wish to take a lot of possessions. It's not always convenient to ship everything on.
Clearly in my 'shock' I didn't read the whole post. Thanks for clarifying!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
You should be OK with 32x2x4 on CX but I would be a bit wary of status benefit from one of the travelling parties (rather than all of them) on the MSC rule.

Besides though handling 3 bags each + carry on is not easy, in case you have not done it before. I speak as someone who regularly carry 32 x 4 + carry on.

If some of your travelling party are kids, they will have more difficulties as well.

Make sure you organise baggage assistance at both ends, landside at the check-in end and airside at the pick-up end.

If you can, ship things airfreight or DHL. Your kids won't manage any bags at their age and it will be super stressful with so many bags.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You should be OK with 32x2x4 on CX but I would be a bit wary of status benefit from one of the travelling parties (rather than all of them) on the MSC rule.

Besides though handling 3 bags each + carry on is not easy, in case you have not done it before. I speak as someone who regularly carry 32 x 4 + carry on.

If some of your travelling party are kids, they will have more difficulties as well.

Make sure you organise baggage assistance at both ends, landside at the check-in end and airside at the pick-up end.

If you can, ship things airfreight or DHL. Your kids won't manage any bags at their age and it will be super stressful with so many bags.
indeed, the kids won't be helpful. We have frequently traveled with 8 bags so know the routine in multiple carts, etc.

In SIN i will get a big van and an additional if necessary. Air freight clearance isn't so straight forward in Ghana. They recently "lost" a huge shipment in their receiving warehouse. They found it 3 weeks later. It was a 1m3 box weighing 1.5tons.... none of this considering the cost of air freight from SIN to ACC.

In ACC I will have someone meet us at baggage claim and I will have a pickup truck to help haul all our stuff from the airport.

Maybe be I will call again to confirm with BA. CX was hopeless on the phone.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by aragno
indeed, the kids won't be helpful. We have frequently traveled with 8 bags so know the routine in multiple carts, etc.

In SIN i will get a big van and an additional if necessary. Air freight clearance isn't so straight forward in Ghana. They recently "lost" a huge shipment in their receiving warehouse. They found it 3 weeks later. It was a 1m3 box weighing 1.5tons.... none of this considering the cost of air freight from SIN to ACC.

In ACC I will have someone meet us at baggage claim and I will have a pickup truck to help haul all our stuff from the airport.

We did a similar move - but just to the US with 2 small children. Virgin kindly allowed us to take our 400Kg of baggage of irreplaceable toys etc. for a trivial sum of Ł100. (It was 16 boxes and bags each 25Kg or less). The problem was the other end getting through customs - not customs themselves but just the logistics of getting that much baggage through the airport with 2 small very tired children - no baggage handlers available until we cleared airside.

The moral of the story - while we moved in 97, check on each leg as sometimes airlines are kinder than you might think on excess baggage especially given you are going in premium class across the world. Large planes can take huge quantities of passenger bags and if you prebook there should be no problem.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firstlight
We did a similar move - but just to the US with 2 small children. Virgin kindly allowed us to take our 400Kg of baggage of irreplaceable toys etc. for a trivial sum of Ł100. (It was 16 boxes and bags each 25Kg or less). The problem was the other end getting through customs - not customs themselves but just the logistics of getting that much baggage through the airport with 2 small very tired children - no baggage handlers available until we cleared airside.
that sucks! For less than $100 I can have someone meet before immigration and take us through everything and everyone. In the US, it's virtually impossible.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm afraid BA won't be able to say what CX will do.

If CX won't say what CX will do then you'll need to either assume the worst and take only 8/9 bags, or hope for the best and pack 12. You may have no problem at all, you may have to show CX where BA.com says that BA would allow it, or you may have to pay excess baggage for 3 or 4 bags and try and claim it back afterwards. Only CX can answer what they're willing to accept or charge you for - BA will take whatever CX check through to them.

Sorry it isn't easier - sounds like you have enough going on!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

family of 4 on a single booking, all with seats. One traveler in the booking is AA ExecPlat (OW Emerald)

SIN-HKG on CX in business class
HKG-LHR on BA in business class
LHR-ACC on BA in first class

i understand CX uses MSC rule (most significant carrier), which in this case is BA. Correct?

if so, each passenger gets 2 bags x 32kg each as standard BA, business class allowance. Correct?

if so, does each passenger get 1 additional bag at 32kg, since BA allows it under their rules? Does it hold true even if a leg is on another carrier- first leg is CX.

The BA agent on the phone told me everyone would get an additional bag because of the Emerald traveler on the booking. I can't afford a surprise as this is our relocation trip and this will literally be the last of our possessions which won't be in a container.
Are there any stopovers en route or are they checking in at SIN to travel to ACC

Assumimg that they are travelling straight through on a through ticket, then they will be allowed the BA published allowance of 2 x 32 Kg as per https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

The passenger holding Emerald status is allowed 1 extra piece . the extra allowance for all passengers is stated on same site as "•only on British Airways flights, except for hand baggage only (Basic) fares and group rate bookings". At https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges , will see that the Emerald member is entitlled to 1 extra piece

Total free allowance is 9 bags

If taking more bags, be prepared to pay GBP140 per extra bag at the airport

If there are stopovers in SIN or LHR , then the allowance will be based on the part of journey being checked in for

Also, if this is not through booking , but separate tickets, then the allowance will only count as far as where the ticket ends

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 14, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC IHG
400 kilos of toys that's nuts. That must be 10 times your kids body weight.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are there any stopovers en route or are they checking in at SIN to travel to ACC

Assumimg that they are travelling straight through on a through ticket, then they will be allowed the BA published allowance of 2 x 32 Kg as per https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

The passenger holding Emerald status is allowed 1 extra piece . the extra allowance for all passengers is stated on same site as "•only on British Airways flights, except for hand baggage only (Basic) fares and group rate bookings". At https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges , will see that the Emerald member is entitlled to 1 extra piece

Total free allowance is 9 bags

If taking more bags, be prepared to pay GBP140 per extra bag at the airport

If there are stopovers in SIN or LHR , then the allowance will be based on the part of journey being checked in for

Also, if this is not through booking , but separate tickets, then the allowance will only count as far as where the ticket ends
This is a through booking with no stopovers. Bags will be checked through to final destination, ACC, at check-in in SIN.

I was also thinking 9 pieces may be the limit as well. I read the same "• only on Biritish Airways flights..." sentence as well, but when the agent on the phone told me otherwise, I thought I should check here too.

Originally Posted by Lewis Watson
400 kilos of toys that's nuts. That must be 10 •times your kids body weight.
Ha ha! It's not all toys. There will be clothes, toiletries, everything we need for a newborn, 2 pieces will be coolers with decent quality meat, as well as things we want to have around in the company apartment prior to moving into a house.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a through booking with no stopovers. Bags will be checked through to final destination, ACC, at check-in in SIN.

I was also thinking 9 pieces may be the limit as well. I read the same "• only on Biritish Airways flights..." sentence as well, but when the agent on the phone told me otherwise, I thought I should check here too.
Where there is a difference between what is written down as policy and what a telephone sales agent decides to say, take the written details every time

BA ( and AA ) allow all passengers in a group to have the additional allowance , however that is specific to those carriers and not a Oneworld benefit

GBP140 for 32Kg is still not a bad price , so may well be worth paying to take some additional bags over shipping
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
I can't offer any further advice, but would like to wish you 'good luck'! What a move!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.