Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unexpected access to Galleries when flying in ET

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue

A few weeks ago, I asked about lounge access at T5 when arriving in CE but departing in ET (click here to see the post)

As Blue members of the BAEC flying out in ET, we weren't expecting to get access to GC at T5, but I thought I'd ask anyway, mentioning that we'd flown NCL-LHR in CE. Much to my surprise, the lady at the entrance to Galleries South said that I can have access because the rules changed a few weeks ago. When she scanned my boarding pass, the computer said I wasn't allowed in, but she went to another screen to override it and I was allowed in.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who may be travelling in mixed classes.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
See Scenario 4 in post #5 of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...uidelines.html accessed from the
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dashboard.html sticky.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IMetThePieMan
A few weeks ago, I asked about lounge access at T5 when arriving in CE but departing in ET (click here to see the post)

As Blue members of the BAEC flying out in ET, we weren't expecting to get access to GC at T5, but I thought I'd ask anyway, mentioning that we'd flown NCL-LHR in CE. Much to my surprise, the lady at the entrance to Galleries South said that I can have access because the rules changed a few weeks ago. When she scanned my boarding pass, the computer said I wasn't allowed in, but she went to another screen to override it and I was allowed in.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who may be travelling in mixed classes.
Good to hear about staff pro-actively enforcing the appropriate access policy.

Worrying to hear that the IT needs to be manually overridden.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Dambus
Is this not just because they were on separate tickets, and scanning the ET boarding card as a blue member will always require an exemption override?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think in this case manual is always required? I am only a gold so after arriving from F and connecting onto domestic, they had to manually override to gain entry to CCR. Same as arriving in club and accessing galleries lounge.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:54 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by IMetThePieMan
the lady at the entrance to Galleries South said that I can have access because the rules changed a few weeks ago
A bit dubious. What did change is that domestics now have CE. I don't think lounge access would have previously been granted when arriving off a "business UK" domestic and connecting to ET?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nux
That guide (specifically scenario 4) is not correct. There is no blanket provision for access when arriving in CE and departing in Y and this has been the case since at least early 2016.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 15, 2017 at 1:20 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by :D!
A bit dubious. What did change is that domestics now have CE. I don't think lounge access would have previously been granted when arriving off a "business UK" domestic and connecting to ET?
There should be no difference, neither business UK or CE provide for lounge access after arriving and connecting to another flight in Y. The agent seems to have got this wrong and she should not have overridden it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
Good to hear about staff pro-actively enforcing the appropriate access policy.

What policy? ET does not get access, and arriving in CE and connecting on to ET does not provide access at the connecting airport.

For the sake of clarity, the OP arrived NCL-LHR in CE and was connecting on to a flight in ET. The lounge eligibility guide is clear no access is provided on the basis of cabin travelled at LHR between the two flights.

Customers arriving in long haul business and first class cabins connecting to a flight in Economy class also enjoy lounge access even though their onward sector does not give them access. This principle does not apply to customers connecting from a short haul flight.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I think in this case manual is always required? I am only a gold so after arriving from F and connecting onto domestic, they had to manually override to gain entry to CCR. Same as arriving in club and accessing galleries lounge.
Yes that scenario does require some manual intervention but there is no issue that someone arriving on BA F and connecting same day on to another flight departing T5 in any cabin gets access to the CCR. However, the connection point access where lounge access is based on inbound sector only applies for long haul J/F and does not apply for short haul to short haul or domestic to short haul.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I also think the OP has had a bank error in their favour so to speak. There was a new policy brought out in Feb 2017 I believe but was simply in anticipation of the eradication of J/Y domestic U.K. access therefore no drastic changes at all. The scenario described in post 5 indeed does have incorrect access rights listed.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
I also think the OP has had a bank error in their favour so to speak. There was a new policy brought out in Feb 2017 I believe but was simply in anticipation of the eradication of J/Y domestic U.K. access therefore no drastic changes at all. The scenario described in post 5 indeed does have incorrect access rights listed.
Yes, so I see the new policy as being anybody in CE on domestic gets lounge access prior to their domestic flight - this encompasses a change to the selling classes now giving access. Previously only J and Y gave access, now it is R, I, D, C, and J. Basically if you are in CE you get lounge access.

I agree though, I can't see any change regarding lounge access at a connecting airport based on arriving in domestic CE - this would not appear to have changed and been the same as it has been when arriving on short haul CE.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, so I see the new policy as being anybody in CE on domestic gets lounge access prior to their domestic flight - this encompasses a change to the selling classes now giving access. Previously only J and Y gave access, now it is R, I, D, C, and J. Basically if you are in CE you get lounge access.

I agree though, I can't see any change regarding lounge access at a connecting airport based on arriving in domestic CE - this would not appear to have changed and been the same as it has been when arriving on short haul CE.
Spot on. That's the only difference I noticed too and is generally self explanatory in simply listing the new domestic entitlement CE classes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.