Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this really First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I've never been fortunate enough, yet, to fly F on any airline! Well It's not exactly true but I was less than 8 yrs old and flat beds didn't exist, so I don't contribute this or any experience to my judgement. But I have seen F on BA. Both in person and in photos of course.

To compare F and CW just ceases to amuse me. I've done a few CW trips, which help my Silver status of course. I like to think I'm not in the Premium majority who are very much accustomed to F and it's intricacies or CW for that matter. However, to compare the 2 on just hard product really makes me wonder if people are blinded by their experiences. The F Cabin has a fantastic look and style that out shines and differentiates from CW. CW on the older craft (747,777) is just a very beige look and sometimes very dated in its appearance (ex-LGW 777 for example).

The blue/purple led lightening and dark colours are very different. The fact that F has blinds! And windows that are aligned to the seat. Small side lamps. There are, from the little I've seen in reality, obvious differences in Product. This is just aesthetics but there's clearly a difference and I know where I would rather sit!

I guess the biggest factor...no one is stepping over your legs!! Do come down to earth sometimes and appreciate the things we have rather than the things we don't. I apply that to all not just the OP.

I hope F was better than the start of the journey and I hope one day to have the fortune to fly in F!
Great Post! I have come to the conclusion that a lot of posters on the BA forum are nuts! I like CW and F but given the choice between the two I know where I would rather be sitting! F feels far more intimate and exclusive than the general large CW cabins. Yes 64A and K on the 747 are great but I would still choose a seat in the F cabin every time. Some people can only dream of flying business or first class so I feel very lucky as a leisure traveller to fly in the premium cabins. Some people most definitely need a reality check.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I guess I'm one of Life's contented bunnies, and travel happily in J [preferably on AA] without a pressing need to spend more money/Avios on being right at the front. We are just immensely grateful that BAFT has shown us the way to do J l/h often, and affordably, as a couple of OAPs.

BTW, we've just renewed Gold for another year. Bless you all!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post28179263
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I'd perhaps suggest that you go take a look around other areas of FT before suggesting that other airlines manage to live up to expectations in F.
Lufthansa manages to do it: so does Swiss. And I hear Air France is no slouch.(OK, some might quibble about the LX A340 and it's single lav for 8 passengers).

I fly in the class my travel budget allows. No problem at all with Y, but clearly I'm a happier soul in other cabins, although only rarely do I get F.

Recent trips were generously funded and allowed LX to LAX and back, LH to Houston: both in first. All four flighs were superb, restful, relaxing - both in the air and on the ground.

I hear BA doesn't have a budget to ensure at least someone is monitoring competitors' products. Big mistake.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I just got off BA207 to Miami and it was a shambles from gate-to-gate.

- Boarding held up to accommodate the arrival of an AA plane next door. Selected First Class passengers were pulled out of the line and pushed to the front. Others, including me, were left to stew in the 'Priority Line'

- On board the crew gave some people bedding and refused it to others - I assume low quantities loaded for the return.

- Beef was tough as old boots.

- Crew did the absolute minimum - collected water glasses after dinner so they didn't have to refill them. Didn't come around asking if anyone wanted anything apart from at meal times.

- On arrival could not get bridge to door 1 so we had to fight from First to get off.

- Passengers selectively offered buggies to Immigration, whilst others denied.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
I just got off BA207 to Miami and it was a shambles from gate-to-gate.

- Boarding held up to accommodate the arrival of an AA plane next door. Selected First Class passengers were pulled out of the line and pushed to the front. Others, including me, were left to stew in the 'Priority Line'

- On board the crew gave some people bedding and refused it to others - I assume low quantities loaded for the return.

- Beef was tough as old boots.

- Crew did the absolute minimum - collected water glasses after dinner so they didn't have to refill them. Didn't come around asking if anyone wanted anything apart from at meal times.

- On arrival could not get bridge to door 1 so we had to fight from First to get off.

- Passengers selectively offered buggies to Immigration, whilst others denied.
Sounds dreadful. In fact it sounds unacceptable for CW let alone F. My last transatlantic flight in CW (to Toronto) was very good, but I've had some mixed experiences.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That's BA's Holiday Routes for you. Meanwhile, the Go[l]ds flying to NYC get rose petals.

Am I right?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I cannot think of a single major carrier's J that, on any objective criteria, is better than BA F. Would love to hear your thoughts and reasons?
Objective criteria? We're talking about premium class travel here, objectivity is out the window?

Anyway, to indulge the question:

CCR...worn out, impersonal, with toilets that wouldn't look out of place in a motorway service station.

BA 747 F cabin...cramped, worn out, overall not a 'premium' feel. BA A380 is significantly better though.

QR LHR lounge..personal welcome...and personal invitation to board...food/drink/ambience, better than CCR IMHO and that's an outstation for them vs. BA's flagship? Then there is the QR Doha lounge...I hear some catering changes have rolled out since my last visit, so my opinion on that is out of date clearly but the quality of the facility is impressive.

A380/787/A350 cabin...very similar to BA F (except 747)...just about...although I prefer the QR table and storage. A gimmick maybe but I like the A380 bar/lounge area.

CX J is better for similar reasons as above although having the meals forced on you is one area where BA F is better than their J. I still prefer their lounges, by a mile.

Of course little or none of this will qualify as "objective" to you. What about the price differential, is that objective enough?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
For me F is a big step up from CW due to the flexibility of the service and greater feeling of space.

It will be interesting to get an update from the OP on arrival and see if he's enjoyed things more up in he air. I suspect it will come down to the crew and amount of booze he's drunk!

I think 'LGW' may be the key here In regards to the filth, the planes at LGW have always been much worse on that front IME. I've never had what I'd consider to be a dirty F cabin from LHR
So if the op gets p!ssed all is well? Your position on defending BA over and over is absolutely your liberty and I respect that, but this is over the line.

Mods if you chop this post I am out.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:44 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Are these the folk that are referred to on AAnother Forum as "Kettles"? I know. There should be a law.

Fiddlesticks! The thousands of posts in the BoB thread seem to disprove that. If not, why all the fuss? I couldn't give a hoot as I never fly ET anyway.

I am suggesting nothing - I am saying that the majority of people will never get the opportunity to complain. I am really unsure that people do pay lots of money. I expect that they would like us to think that they had, but I have long been convinced that it is other people's (their employer's) money. Even Merry was in F paid for by his employer and with Avios generated by those flights. Why do I think that they do not pay themselves? What sane person goes on paying for something that they know to be better elsewhere?
BA is far from perfect, but away from this Forum where people are people and not handles on a Chatboard, I hear very varying views.

Posh? Of course I'm posh. I flew for BCAL.

Right - after that little chat, it is time to collect the G&T, put on my I-don't-care shoes and finish "Fortitude" once and for all. HI can wait for dinner. So there!
I think the quoting might have gone a bit wonky. Have another G&T, that'll probably fix it.

I learned something - everyday being a school day - and now know what a Kettle is (apart from the whistling thing that sits on the hob and boils water for my tea). Pertinent indeed - darned infrequent travellers clogging up the airports, check-in desks, security queues and much else besides. There should indeed be a law. Luckily I'm not travelling now anyway, so would not be unduly inconvenienced by such a thing.

One day, I hope to try F - on any airline. I expect I'll throughly enjoy it.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by phoneticduck
CCR...worn out, impersonal, with toilets that wouldn't look out of place in a motorway service station.
Please don't be so rude about motorway service stations
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Wow so this conversation digressed since I took off I must say that the service was above par and generally excellent. Way better than CW, the cabin staff treated me like a king. Plus the toiletries bags were definitely better than the shoe bags containing lotion you get given in CW.

Saying that, obv I was out of LGW, but definitely not sure I'd book a F redemption unless it's on the 380.

Anyway... I'm on a beautiful island and about to go sailing around various other islands in a few days! It was just my two cents folks, go explore F on your own and see how you like it. Different strokes an all.

Best,

G
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Wow so this conversation digressed since I took off I must say that the service was above par and generally excellent. Way better than CW, the cabin staff treated me like a king. Plus the toiletries bags were definitely better than the shoe bags containing lotion you get given in CW.

Saying that, obv I was out of LGW, but definitely not sure I'd book a F redemption unless it's on the 380.

Anyway... I'm on a beautiful island and about to go sailing around various other islands in a few days! It was just my two cents folks, go explore F on your own and see how you like it. Different strokes an all.

Best,

G
Thanks for your post OP, glad your experience improved and your enjoying the holiday.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Well I like BA F, but then I also like to self fladulate.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Scrudgy
Well I like BA F, but then I also like to self fladulate.
I've no idea what that means!

But glad you like BA F too.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The fact that you claim the BA A380 F seat is nearly identical to the CX F seat says it all.
I fly both products regularly to and from HKG. They are very similar in terms of size and comfort. The CX seat is slightly wider, BA's seat has better storage. They are of a very similar design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.