Wiki Posts
Search

Is this really First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Yes, it's about the same as business class on Cathay or Qatar!
I cannot comment on QR but I definitely find it to be much more spacious than any of the CX J.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by binman
If your on a 777-300 you will have a great flight but have s look at J. Not a lot of difference to BA F.
I am on 77W or the 777-300

The J product on the 77W AA is awesome I agree.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Bar 30% less space, a plastic wall in your face and a foot coffin, it is indeed similar.
'Space' is a relative concept here. Basically, on Cirrus, the j seats use space twice by dividing it vertically. Some people don't like the idea, fair enough, but others among us find it perfectly fine, and when that's the case, the space differential is much less than that.

I also know that many people indeed refer to a 'foot coffin' and are bothered by that, but I'll admit that I am not one of them, and do not relate to that label at all. I could sympathise with it in some cases, like the new QR A330 flat seat, but not with the Cirrus or Super Diamond.

Also note that the BA F seats vary considerably. No J seat comes close to the space in A380 F except perhaps the SQ A380, but the 744 F is far less 'special'.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by kauppias
I am on 77W or the 777-300

The J product on the 77W AA is awesome I agree.
Awesome? It inspires awe or wonder? I was utterly underwhelmed - but then maybe my awe is inspired by more than a product on an aircraft.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Awesome? It inspires awe or wonder? I was utterly underwhelmed - but then maybe my awe is inspired by more than a product on an aircraft.
How do we spell "hyperbole" here on BAFT?

I do, however, agree that the AA 77W J seat (and indeed the A330 J) is significantly nicer than BA's J
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Ok everyone needs to relax. So much hostility.

Also, and this comes from experience (after my short-lived post of the day thread), lay off the personal abuse folks. No need. Less emotion please. It's just a forum.
Sweetheart - now what did you expect? Even the title is a challenge. Still, don't worry - it is only an Internet chatboard and not guests at your dinner table. What do you care what anyone thinks? How do you know as a positive fact that anyone of them has any real knowledge - you probably don't know any of them personally and people safe in the anonymity of the internet say things that they would never dare say to anyone's face. The day that you start taking to heart "Oh Dear that bolshie cow Pucci Galore has disagreed with me" or " Oh My Obstimetric has taken a severe tone" (to quote two bit of off the head nonsense - that, my love, is the day that you take your router or cable in one hand and throw it out of the window.

I had an incident with an insolent, off-hand unbelieably rude so-called Priority Check-in Aagent at Los Angeles. I posted a thread about it on AAnother Forum - Katey! Bar the Door. Trashed didn't come close. One person actually wondered how I'd cope without the "FawnFest" that I enjoy here. I read these out to my husband and he laughed his head off as did I. My only concern was it made a lot of work for the Mods cleaning up. So - the reason for rattling on is to say - you will never ever please everyone all the time but FT in general and here in particular has sadly become a very hostile place. Take no notice and have a Happy Easter.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nk15
Just 5,000 Avios, worth what, $50? at most, would have been a nice gesture, for such failings/inconveniences at this level (Emerald flying in First). But anyway, I almost never had a failed IFE system that I can remember in the last 3-4 years, on any airline and class of service, only that one time I flew BA F.
AA forgot to load the DVD players for my CDG MIA flight. So I'm guessing IFE problems crop uo on the best of carriers.

They volunteered a $200 voucher, sent by post, and totally impossible to use.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I cannot comment on QR but I definitely find it to be much more spacious than any of the CX J.
The QR J seat on the 787 and A350 is more spacious than the typical CX seat especially on the A330. The foot area is much larger and whilst there is less lateral space than in BA F it feels very similar, especially with the armrest dropped.

The A380 QR J seat is a little tighter I think but that could be just me.

Objectively it has less space but not that much less usable space, for me that is a pretty good trade. When you overlay the quality of the rest of the QR J product (flowers in very large bathrooms, very clean aircraft, what appears to be a far higher crew to passenger ratio, great food and better than BA F wines and cocktails), QR J on all but the A330 and 777 stands pretty good comparison with BA F, when you consider what BA F has become.

I certainly wouldn't pay my own money to fly BA F over QR J, I wouldn't even spend the avios if I could get QR J for a good enough price, the BA TFC often isn't much less than revenue QR J.

On a day flight or flights with substantial day elements it really is a no brainer.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
I burnt some AA miles on F from BGI to LGW last year for my wife. She was handed a glass of Champagne with ice cubes in it................
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are you confusing airlines? There is a big difference between the First and Club World seats on BA??
Not that I noticed, I guess - perhaps the seat is a little wider? All I noticed is that the crew moving up and down the aisle were literally right next to me and sometimes almost brushing up against me as they walked by, which doesn't happen on an upper-deck window. Maybe I'm really obsessed with my personal space, I don't know, but I wasn't a fan.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by orbitmic
'Space' is a relative concept here. Basically, on Cirrus, the j seats use space twice by dividing it vertically. Some people don't like the idea, fair enough, but others among us find it perfectly fine, and when that's the case, the space differential is much less than that.

I also know that many people indeed refer to a 'foot coffin' and are bothered by that, but I'll admit that I am not one of them, and do not relate to that label at all. I could sympathise with it in some cases, like the new QR A330 flat seat, but not with the Cirrus or Super Diamond.

Also note that the BA F seats vary considerably. No J seat comes close to the space in A380 F except perhaps the SQ A380, but the 744 F is far less 'special'.
Indeed, its completely subjected, which is why these discussions are so pointless.

Personally I see little better in the AA J seat than CW, for my needs and wants, and indeed much prefer CW for sleeping. If I'd listened to the consensus on here and didn't know better, I'd have never flown CW.

...even as someone who obviously gets far more from 'the feeling of space' than others, its a struggle to imagine how people who have actually flown in a BA 77W F seat can say the AA 77W J seat is comparable in anything other than format and still rave about the AA seat over CW.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Clack
Not that I noticed, I guess - perhaps the seat is a little wider? All I noticed is that the crew moving up and down the aisle were literally right next to me and sometimes almost brushing up against me as they walked by, which doesn't happen on an upper-deck window. Maybe I'm really obsessed with my personal space, I don't know, but I wasn't a fan.
You won't like the AA or QR J product either then. Another good example of horses for courses.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
AA forgot to load the DVD players for my CDG MIA flight. So I'm guessing IFE problems crop uo on the best of carriers.

They volunteered a $200 voucher, sent by post, and totally impossible to use.
Yes, these paper vouchers are tough to use, you should either have a flight on hold on aa.com and use them/buy the ticket when you are in the airport (AA check-in desk, landside only; it should also work at LHR T3?), or you can book on the phone and mail the voucher to Florida...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I can confirm San Gottardo flies BA F regularly and has a frequent comparative experience of F (Lx, af, ek, lH, qr, aa, etc) higher than pretty much anyone I personally know myself included (I have flown f on many airlines but j is my main long haul class whilst his is largely f). In fact he had originally considered making BA/ow his second home and discussed it at length with me but decided against it on the basis of both f quality and transfer experience. In fairness, his experience of lx/lH f as hon is better than mine as standard *a G but then I think he is 'only' BA GCH and despite my being car cardholder I easily recognise the superiority of af and lH F over BA.

As for dirty planes I do think they occur more often than is acceptable on ba and even think BA knows it!
His description of the BA First experience appears to me to be largely hyperbole rather than a subjective description of the product. Much of what was said in the post I responded to is not consistent with my experience of the product, nor is it typical of the product as a whole.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
and still rave about the AA seat over CW.
On the other hand, I can easily understand why. For one thing, both the Cirrus and Super Diamond seats are very private in all seats. By contrast, the CW seat is not private at all except for window seats which are very private (ie 25-28.5% of seats on CW vs 100% on competition). The Cirrus and Super Diamond also have a lot more storage (something you rightly praise about the BA F seat on the A380 I believe, but which is not good on CW except for upper decks 744 and 388).

Indeed, its completely subjected, which is why these discussions are so pointless.
I sort of agree with the first point but not with the second. Yes, there is an element of subjectivity, but to use it to send all products back to back is unfair in my view. That was my answer to the earlier point that some people will always find reason to moan about everything: yes you'll find people to say that North by Northwest was a rubbish film that they hated and others who will say that My Cousin Vinnie was great and they cried outloud. It does not make the two films of equal cinematographic quality.

Moreover, precise and specific comparisons are actually very informative IMHO (though one liners on 'this is rubbish' or 'this is great' are not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.