Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JFK to Manhattan helicopter transfer (Concorde days)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises

While rummaging through old boxes of memories, found a whole bunch of stuff from when the family used to travel on Concorde way back in the 1980s (of course when I was too young to care or appreciate the experience).

On the very elegant ticket envelope (which includes embossed BA crest and Concorde logo) there is also something I never knew about the Concorde service. Upon arriving at JFK, passengers had the option of either being chauffeured or flown by helicopter to Manhattan, La Guardia or Newark. All complimentary of course. And right next to the information about smoking or non-smoking.

Any Concorde regulars make use of this service? Seems like a no-brainer if you needed to trek into Manhattan; just takes under 10 minutes versus the 45-60 minutes when driving without traffic. Was it available towards the end of Concorde's service?

Totally irrelevant of course today, but seems like a nice blast from the past. Especially in this age of endless queues, cutbacks and treating passengers like inconvenient cargo. I wonder if it would not be a worthwhile addition to the LCY service and/or First? At both ends? One can only dream...
Attached Images  
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I didn't have the luxury of flying on Concorde but I did book the helicopter transfer.

I was given a GBP 75.00 BA travel voucher for having had my baggage slashed and pilfered on a UK domestic flight and paid a small supplement. The service was operated by New York Helicopters from the TWA terminal in JFK. You had to take the inter terminal bus (not sure what Concorde passengers had to do) and on arrival you checked in and I think it was a timetabled and turn up and go service. I only had to wait a few minutes, my hold bag was tagged TSS with a tie on label and taken from me and on arrival at Mannhatten Heliport a sedan car would take you to any Manhatten address. It was my first time in a helicopter but not an interesting flight over industrial and wasteland but a great experience.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
M-a-n-h-a-t-t-a-n.

(Sorry, but twice in two posts was killin' me, and as I was gonna follow the thread anyway ...! )
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:15 pm

very cool. thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:55 am

Took the Limo as we had young rapidex with us as a hand held rug rat(2 months),and the service was not that convenient.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:05 am

A new helicopter service named Gotham Air is offering New Yorkers rides from Manhattan to the JFK or Newark airports for anywhere between $99 to $219.

http://www.gothamair.com/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2108634
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Thanks for sharing this - I was too young to travel on Concorde but love this sort of memorabilia! ^
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
A new helicopter service named Gotham Air is offering New Yorkers rides from Manhattan to the JFK or Newark airports for anywhere between $99 to $219.

http://www.gothamair.com/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2108634
I downloaded that app last summer, and it didn't work. It looks like a failed startup that never took down the web page. It was particularly appealing to me, as I regularly had $100+ uber rides taking > 1hr from Manhattan to EWR.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:38 am

I took it JFK-EWR but I think it was arriving PanAm F. But maybe it was Concorde connecting connecting to PanAm.

It was cool - flying over Manhattan. The pilot took the scenic route.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Totally irrelevant of course today, but seems like a nice blast from the past. Especially in this age of endless queues, cutbacks and treating passengers like inconvenient cargo. I wonder if it would not be a worthwhile addition to the LCY service and/or First? At both ends? One can only dream...
Sure, but how much did the Concorde trips of the 80s cost in today's money? $10k or so? That amount of dollars buys you a seat on a private jet charter today.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
I was lucky enough to do the helicopter transfer with my Dad once (circa 1988), as guests of Northwest Orient. Travelling from PIK, I think via SNN to NYC (I'm not sure whether it was JFK to La Guardia or vice versa), and onwards to the west coast.

My Dad spent a lot of time trying to persuade me that a limo transfer would be more fun, but I was quite insistent. I was 15ish and totally missed the fact that my poor Dad was terrified!

Great memories of a happy time - thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
Hi SchmeckFlyer, could I cheekily ask you to post some pics of some more of the Concord memrobilia, looks really fascinating!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
I downloaded that app last summer, and it didn't work. It looks like a failed startup that never took down the web page.
Yea Gotham shut down and the app doesn't work anymore (though they have started posting on Facebook recently, so maybe they're coming back). The helicopter app to use in NYC now is Blade.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Originally Posted by erik123
I took it JFK-EWR but I think it was arriving PanAm F. But maybe it was Concorde connecting connecting to PanAm.

It was cool - The pilot took the scenic route over Manhattan.
Pan Am had a helicopter service to a rooftop landing pad on the Pan Am building, until a crash which killed several people.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I used the PanAm service in 1985ish. 6-8 minutes to the E.34th St. Heliport. An awesome experience. It was even a free addon to a F redemption, my first and last on PA before they vanished. Those were the days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.