Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seniors in exit row

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
But that is just the point... If the OP was that concerned about it, he/she should have spoken to the cabin crew and requested that they move the passengers in question out of the emergency exit row.

As far as indicated by the OP, they did not do that, and waited 36-48 hours to post about it on an internet forum instead.

Pointless post.
I don't think the OP got on the plane to supervise health and safety matters.

He raised a point I hadn't considered before. I personally found it interesting.

Will keep an eye out for this in the future
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by baflyer999

He raised a point I hadn't considered before. I personally found it interesting.

A nice and sensible post, unlike some others ^
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by baflyer999

Of course it wasn't the OP's job to supervise H&S issues. But the point is, why wouldn't you raise it at the time (even if it was discretely, out if earshot if those concerned) instead of anonymously on an internet board.

The answer presumably being that either the usual stiff upper lip and all that, or it was a non issue.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, let's keep playing the poster instead of the topic

Is there not a valid, and serious, aspect to this? Like potentially incapable people occupying the EXIT row seats? Would it perhaps be more constructive if we discussed HOW to avoid a potentially hazardous scenario, instead of picking on the OP?

Come on, folks. Why is BAFT so picky these days?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
OK, let's keep playing the poster instead of the topic

Is there not a valid, and serious, aspect to this? Like potentially incapable people occupying the EXIT row seats? Would it perhaps be more constructive if we discussed HOW to avoid a potentially hazardous scenario, instead of picking on the OP?

Come on, folks. Why is BAFT so picky these days?
Yes there is a valid and serious aspect to this.

That's why some of us are questioning why the OP didn't ask the question at the time. After all none of us was there at the time to know the answer, whereas I am sure a member of crew could have clarified immediately.

That's not playing the man - who else do you think should have asked the question if not the OP?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest the question should be asked of BA, frankly.

They can't manage priority boarding, have a lax attitude [variable] to carry-on luggage, and yet a 'safety critical' aspect seems to be largely ignored. I knew how to open the over-wing, and verbalised that to the CC ... but did they have any idea about my strength, or my weak back? Of course not ... it's theatre.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:21 pm

They can't manage priority boarding, have a lax attitude [variable] to carry-on luggage, and yet a 'safety critical' aspect seems to be largely ignored. I knew how to open the over-wing, and verbalised that to the CC ... but did they have any idea about my strength, or my weak back? Of course not ... it's theatre.
And of course the best time to ask BA was to ask an employee there and then.

Trying to do it after the event will just generate a standard fob off which no one will be able to prove or disprove.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
And of course the best time to ask BA was to ask an employee there and then.

Trying to do it after the event will just generate a standard fob off which no one will be able to prove or disprove.
As the OP has said, he was in 11F so wasn't personally concerned for his own safety. And quite frankly, it is not his responsibility to do the crew's job for them.

As such I don't see any problem in him posing the question here after the event as a matter of interest.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC IHG
Everyone is talking about the people but does anyone know about the door? It is a piece of safety gear I would imagine they make it as easy to operate as possible.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Of course it wasn't the OP's job to supervise H&S issues. But the point is, why wouldn't you raise it at the time (even if it was discretely, out if earshot if those concerned) instead of anonymously on an internet board.

The answer presumably being that either the usual stiff upper lip and all that, or it was a non issue.
You're being a little unfair on the OP; sometimes it can be difficult to raise these matters at the time for fear of causing a scene. The question of who should be permitted to sit in an exit row, and how that is enforced, is an interesting one and worthy of discussion here.

Yesterday you started a thread in the Emirates forum about a flight you had just taken, complaining that the Gold welcome was "cringeworthy" and "a real irritation", the First passenger manifest was left out for all to see and that the captain didn't apologise for the delay. Did you raise any of these issues at the time, or only anonymously on this forum?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lewis Watson
Everyone is talking about the people but does anyone know about the door? It is a piece of safety gear I would imagine they make it as easy to operate as possible.
Have you actually tried operating one? It's isn't easy to open and eject.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
Yesterday you started a thread in the Emirates forum about a flight you had just taken, complaining that the Gold welcome was "cringeworthy" and "a real irritation", the First passenger manifest was left out for all to see and that the captain didn't apologise for the delay. Did you raise any of these issues at the time, or only anonymously on this forum?
Yes I did, with the Purser. All noted down and I will see if they respond.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:16 am

Indeed!

As numerous threads on FT will testify, many may suggest that it would have been a futile exercise confronting the crew at the time. I am not suggesting he would have been fobbed off, however, it may have been time consuming to relocate the passenger from the emergency exit during a very busy period for the crew.

I think it is a bit of a joke when you select an exit row seat online and you have to just tick a box to indicate you have the physical capability to open a door in an emergency.

I recently questioned an agent as to why she was allowing blatantly oversized hand baggage onto the aircraft when at the same time she was selecting passengers to have their cabin baggage placed in the hold. I was told that no oversized luggage would be allowed on board.

If I recall correctly, that was the very flight someone dropped an oversized and heavy rucksack onto the seat below from above head height because the passenger could not physically lift it into the bin - thankfully nobody was sitting in the seat - particularly a child, as it would certainly have caused injury.

I accept two wrongs don't make a right, but consistency and the effective policing of cabin baggage will (or should) ensure a more efficient process overall and that should apply to all policies and procedures.

Another gripe is when crew place their luggage in the bins above row 1 - although not a safety issue - more of an annoyance, I have complained on numerous occasions, but now just let it go as it is pointless making an issue of it and I just let it go over my head now (pun not intended) as the practice seems to continue regardless.

Routine violations occur as it makes life easier for those who are supposed to be enforcing policies and procedures and it is disappointing when it gets to the stage where passengers highlight a potential breach, but to make life easier, concerns are ignored.

Of course the OP could have questioned the situation at the time he observed a potential safety issue - whether any action would have been forthcoming is another matter.

Last edited by passy777; Apr 15, 2017 at 1:23 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Have you actually tried operating one? It's isn't easy to open and eject.
Have you operated one? Hopefully on a course of some sort rather than an actual evacuation, if so...?

I always wonder how easy it would actually be to do in an emergency, but never ask the crew for further details because I don't want them to decide that I'm not competent to do it and move me out of my exit row. As someone who has read the instructions and actually thought about how to do it, I reckon I'm already better-placed than 90% of exit-row occupants.

I've heard that the person in the B or E seat is frequently knocked out by the A or F seat person pulling the door down onto their head - is that actually a real risk? How heavy is the door, and how hard is it to move?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
I've heard that the person in the B or E seat is frequently knocked out by the A or F seat person pulling the door down onto their head - is that actually a real risk? How heavy is the door, and how hard is it to move?
Don't they eject away from the aircraft - not inwards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.