Seniors in exit row

Old Apr 13, 17, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post

From irmster's last comment, I would indeed be concerned. Two old dears, if I may use such a phrase, are not ideal occupants. But then neither was the rather stout gent in 10C, who might have blocked the EXIT for everyone
I have had the same experience in the last few months, most noticbly was one VERY large gentleman who clearly had mobility issues, and then also a lady with her arm in plaster in a sling!
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:16 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by irmster View Post
Given everyone was on board 20 minutes before scheduled take off, it's not as if the crew were in a rush.
I find the crew very hit and miss on exit row briefings, particularly on flights from GIB which are boarded very early. Sometimes it seems like the crew are so relaxed that they end up missing this out.

However, in my experience even those crew who miss the exit row briefing have been pretty good at shifting questionable passengers from the exit row - and also extremely strict on pax moving further forward in the cabin after take off.
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
This is a difficult and highly subjective topic.
If a flight attendant hears from a chap: "these people may not be strong enough to open the emergency doors", the flight attendant could believe: "this chap - telling me this- just wants to score an emergency exit seat for free. I am too busy or tired to open this fight."
Given he said in his post that "none of us in the exit rows were asked" about ability/willingness to operate, I think it's unlikely the FA would think he was trying to score another exit row seat for free.

In any case, while I agree with some others here that judging by appearance has drawbacks, the detail that they couldn't put their carryons in the overhead bin seems much more important. I'd probably have led with that in my conversation with the FA (and also mention it in the first post here instead of saving it for the second one).
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:35 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Probably better having older people in the exit isles. All the young people will be too busy taking selfies while the seniors will be focused on the emergency door. ;p
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've seen all manner of these issues and requests.

I've seen FA's notice the issue and ask if the senior on the ER can easily manage the 40-50 lb door, and remove people or that the people have said no problem and well they get left.

I've seen the FA ask everyone to answer YES to the questions, and everyone says yes, but one person (not going to insert any specific culture here I've seen it with many) and they say "huh", and then "oh, and uh "yes", looking quizzically at others around for confirmation - so CLEARLY they cannot understand or interpret instructions and should be removed - and some have been left and some have been asked to move.

I've seen guys with a boot (for ankle or lower leg injuries or breaks) in the exit row, and been either asked, or another passenger has asked about their ability to perform the duties, and either been removed, or SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER and been simply left by the FA..

So, the jist of the story is, protocols don't get followed with much RIGOR or attention and nobody wants to really insert themselves into the issue.
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:53 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Having very recently (and unusually!) occupied an EXIT seat as a 72-yo, I asked myself carefully how easy it would be to actually lift and throw the 'door' out of the aircraft. On the basis that I can still lift a 23kg suitcase into the back of a 4x4, I felt confident.

From irmster's last comment, I would indeed be concerned. Two old dears, if I may use such a phrase, are not ideal occupants. But then neither was the rather stout gent in 10C, who might have blocked the EXIT for everyone

I have it on good authority that you can ourtun & outlift a significant proportion of those half your age.
Old Apr 13, 17, 10:07 am

The real answer is to clear the emergency exits of seats and just have a big open space there. That would make it very easy for passengers to get out of the plane quickly.

Last edited by MrTemporal; Apr 14, 17 at 5:58 pm
Old Apr 13, 17, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
... but who opens the door? Who has self-briefed? Who gets there first? Do we end up fighting for the rare priviledge of checking for fire hazards before ripping off the cover, pulling the handle down and out, and ejecting the door through the hole?

Or do we just wait for someone who knows what to do?

I like the idea of an individual being responsible ... provided that person is briefed and capable.

... and thank you, Worcester
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:54 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
But that is just the point... If the OP was that concerned about it, he/she should have spoken to the cabin crew and requested that they move the passengers in question out of the emergency exit row.

As far as indicated by the OP, they did not do that, and waited 36-48 hours to post about it on an internet forum instead.

Pointless post.
This.
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Elderly ladies would be forgiven for wondering whether OP was fit to open the exit too, since he didn't appear to know where the hell he was ....
my grandfather is 95-years-young and he will only book a flight when there are exit row aisle seats available... otherwise, he just keeps looking until he finds another flight.

it really depends... he lift weights and can easily lift 100 pounds over his head. I've also seen him lift two 50-pound bags, one in each and and walk to airport parking lot. (yes, I offered to help, but he was royally offended, so I kept my mouth shut)
Old Apr 13, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
But that is just the point... If the OP was that concerned about it, he/she should have spoken to the cabin crew and requested that they move the passengers in question out of the emergency exit row.

As far as indicated by the OP, they did not do that, and waited 36-48 hours to post about it on an internet forum instead.

Pointless post.
Im not sure why you feel the need to be so unbelievably rude to the OP. Bad day in the new job?

It seems the op was unsure what to do and asked advise here and will know for the future. As another poster has mentioned they did do what you said and got ignored.

As pointless posts go on this forum, asking a question related directly to a BA flight seems okay to me. Certainly much better than a wiki dedicated to a finnair tp run.
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MickV View Post
Im not sure why you feel the need to be so unbelievably rude to the OP. Bad day in the new job?

It seems the op was unsure what to do and asked advise here and will know for the future. As another poster has mentioned they did do what you said and got ignored.

As pointless posts go on this forum, asking a question related directly to a BA flight seems okay to me. Certainly much better than a wiki dedicated to a finnair tp run.
Rude? You have not seen anything if you think that is rude. And no... New job is going swimmingly, thanks for asking!

I am not referring to whatever other posters said, I am referring to the OP and what he/she did, or as it appears, did not do.

Asking for advice? There was no asking for any advice. It was simply a statement. A statement which became null and void as soon as that aircraft took off and the OP decided not to say or do anything prior to that point.

Hope you have an unbelievably delightful evening.
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Rude? You have not seen anything if you think that is rude. And no... New job is going swimmingly, thanks for asking!

I am not referring to whatever other posters said, I am referring to the OP and what he/she did, or as it appears, did not do.

Asking for advice? There was no asking for any advice. It was simply a statement. A statement which became null and void as soon as that aircraft took off and the OP decided not to say or do anything prior to that point.

Hope you have an unbelievably delightful evening.

Early morning with me and looks like a fabulous day. Thanks.

You're quite right it wasn't unbelievably rude just rude.

Anyway, as I am sure you know better than most, sometimes crew are not overly approachable or you get a reply like another poster in this thread. The OP can see from the replies here he is better to say something. It's a delicate issue as I assume the OP did not want to offend the dear ladies.
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
They may have been former championship weightlifters!

Don't judge people by appearance.

Even if that were true, and the odds of it being true were tiny, that doesn't mean they still are.

There comes a time when the safety of passengers is far more important than fake equality. Frail LOLs are not who normal people want lifting aircraft doors.
Old Apr 13, 17, 6:39 pm
Suspended

and if the elderly folks were traveling on UA....

Search this Thread