Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA bumped [seat shifted] CW and WTP passengers for flight crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA bumped [seat shifted] CW and WTP passengers for flight crew

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by janetdoe
But I do have to ask... if he wasn't one of the customers offloaded, why did his seat have to be changed? Why couldn't employees sit in the back of the cabin and OP retain his seat?
Could it be that the bulkhead seats were needed for an infant in a bassinet? Although if this was the case why would OP have been able to assign these 'months before'?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:40 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Aren't there crew rest beds in long haul aircraft that dead heading crew could have used? Sit in Y if they wished to be awake, and sleep in the bunks if they need to sleep. I've seen photos of those, either in the "attic" or "basement" of the plane, depending on what it is.
I've spotted a flaw in your plan Baldrick...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:55 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One point that perhaps needs to be borne in mind is that in the USA, having crew deadheading (flying staff strategically as passengers in order to operate later or earlier flights) is endemic and widespread. On BA this is fairly rare, and if you think about how 99% plus of BA's flights start or end at LHR, LGW or LCY, where almost all crew are based, you will see this need not happen very often.
The NTSB accident report into the BA 777 fire at Vegas makes interesting reading in many aspects. One is that two of the three crew flew from LGW-LAS the previous day as pax, before overnighting and returning the following day. The captain admitted he wasn't in the best shape as a result.

A few years back, I recall reading a QF captain on a similar site to FT based in the Antipodes saying that a major SE Asian airline had a habit of flying aircrew down to Australia overnight, then expecting them to fly the plane straight back. Certainly on a BMI redemption to MEL with that airline, there were three of us in F; one was a pilot. Wheels up to wheels down was just under six hours. I hope he got more sleep than I did.....
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:08 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Regarding the situation where seat assignments were changed, I saw word of this happening in other forums too (I think DL was the one I was reading). I understand they are allowed to make assignments for "operational" reasons, but considering BA passengers have to pay for seat assignments, it is poor customer service.
Quite so, and for all the sanctimonious bluster about "getting what you paid for" the customer was promised something by crew that never materialised. Poor customer service, that the OP is quite right to be disappointed by.

I don't blame the crew for wanting WTP (and maybe having it in their contract); the legroom in Y is awful (this is not specific to BA).

Imagine if airlines only specc'ed economy cabins that would meet the requirements of their crew. A sort of "do unto others" approach.
Agree. The conditions that economy long haul passengers are expected to endure now are, in my opinion, at the point of being inhumane. If it's not good enough for staff, it's not good enough for paying customers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
CSM took my contact details and said he would organise upgrade vouchers for my wife and I to be used on future flights.
Just trusting the word of a flight crew member, is quite naive.
They have paper on hand, where they could write down what they are offering you.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 27R
The NTSB accident report into the BA 777 fire at Vegas makes interesting reading in many aspects. One is that two of the three crew flew from LGW-LAS the previous day as pax, before overnighting and returning the following day. The captain admitted he wasn't in the best shape as a result.
Have you got a link? I can't find the report.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by V10
Quite so, and for all the sanctimonious bluster about "getting what you paid for" the customer was promised something by crew that never materialised. Poor customer service, that the OP is quite right to be disappointed by.

Agree. The conditions that economy long haul passengers are expected to endure now are, in my opinion, at the point of being inhumane. If it's not good enough for staff, it's not good enough for paying customers.
Maybe the CC made an error and thought the passenger had been downgraded and was simply explaining what may have been offered to those who were downgraded? Perhaps the passenger misheard? Maybe the CC did suggest this but it was turned down by CS? Lots of possible variations of what may or may not have happened. What I can say is that if everytime a seat booking change resulted in being guaranteed an upgrade on the next flight we would all be very happy to be moved seats. I think the passenger's expectations that this would actually happen is, quite frankly, ridiculous. They were moved from one row in the cabin to another. They weren't downgraded, they weren't split up etc. To even get anything is somewhat surprising, unless they had paid for their seat reservations in which case they could have claimed a refund.

As for your second point, travel in Y is not as great as W/J/F. However, millions do it everyday and are perfectly happy. It is far from being inhumane. We all want low prices (and airlines want to make a profit) so there has to be a balance in there. Apart from a short flight from LHR/BRE back in the early 90s, my first flight was to Australia in 1997 - in Y. I paid more then than I would pay if booking the same ticket today. Based on inflation what would today's price be? Customers may well be getting less than they did but they are certainly paying a lot less for it!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Dakota
Did you mention this because you think the flight crew should have been assigned those? Would you be happy to fly an airliner longhaul after an overnight flight in Y, or be flown in one by a crew which had?
Also keep in mind that there may be contractual entitlements for staff to position in W or J, I believe some airlines still have this at least. I think if that's the case then it's fair enough they insist on it, I hold my employer to the travel policy we agreed, why shouldn't they...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
"Inhumane" may be hyperbole but l/h Y is certainly uncomfortable.

I flew LHR-LAX last year in WT and it was bearable, but then again I am 5'8 and in proportion plus I had a bulkhead seat... even so, I was in contact with the sear on both sides !

I really can't imagine what it's like for a broad-shouldered 6-footer in a middle seat - I certainly wouldn't want the pilot of my flight to have just done several hours in one..

So by all means put pilots in F & J though I would say that a tired cabin crew member is not nearly so much of a safety risk ao I would expect them to take whatever seat is left even a crappy Y one...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Possible linguistic confusion here. Offloaded vs. seat-shifted ('offloaded' somehow being used to express 'offloaded from the particular seats' rather than 'offloaded from the flight'), seat-shifted vs. downgraded, downgraded vs. offloaded, or people might have been downgraded and decided to wait until the next flight without the downgrade, hence the WT with empty seats?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 13, 2017 at 2:23 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:24 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Originally Posted by KARFA
Have you got a link? I can't find the report.
Accident ID DCA15FA185 Mode Aviation occurred on September 08, 2015 in Las Vegas, NV United States Last Modified on April 07, 2017 15:04 Public Released on April 11, 2017 09:04 Total 37 document items

Not sure if that's a link that'll transfer to FT; if not, copy and paste the accident ID into the NTSB website.

It's rather different in style to the AAIB, although a well-known AAIB investigator was on the panel.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by Dambus
The OP never claimed (or complained) that he was downgraded.
The thread title says "bumped", which normally means downgraded or IDBd off the flight entirely.

And if the OP said he'd been "bumped" to the flight crew, then they would have said what the standard compensation package was.

He wasn't "bumped", he got exactly what he paid for, other than the fact that (as always) BA hadn't put enough catering on.

Originally Posted by Fitch
"Inhumane" may be hyperbole but l/h Y is certainly uncomfortable.​
It's OK if you don't have to do anything for a bit afterwards. Overnighting in Y is fine for me because I don't need to function the next day.

I wouldn't want to be flying a plane (or even driving a long way in a rental car) after an overnight Y flight...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:52 am

To be fair I wouldn't want to be flying a plane after spending over 10 hours positioning in Y either.

As far as the OP's issue with the upgrade vouchers is concerned. I would be surprised if in the current climate BA really offered upgrade vouchers for a change of seat within WTP. So that might suggest one of two things - i) there was a misunderstanding and OP was offered vouchers towards a future upgrade (ie not the full cost) or ii) the CSM was economical with the truth in order to placate the OP.

In relation to warakorn's point about being naive. Yes I would agree, if the OP was a regular traveller or reader on here. I certainly would insist on something in writing. However perhaps the OP was an occasional traveller who still takes the BA brand at face value and does not know how untrustworthy the airline has become?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Aren't there crew rest beds in long haul aircraft that dead heading crew could have used? Sit in Y if they wished to be awake, and sleep in the bunks if they need to sleep. I've seen photos of those, either in the "attic" or "basement" of the plane, depending on what it is.
No, They are for operating crew only. Positioning crew are not permitted to use them.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the whole 'would you want the crew to be flying in Y' debacle, seems like a red-herring in this instance.

If seats are available in WTP, CW, or F, then sure, let the crew have them if they're working the next day.

However, why should others be moved to accomodate them?

Is a Doctor, sat in WTP, about to go into surgery, not of equal importance to a crew member? How about a NASA engineer? How about a Bus driver?

Unless BA have ranked the jobs their passengers do, against those of the crewmembers, it's irrelevant.

A paying customer should never be moved for a crewmember. IF the passenger is requested to move, and compensation of a reasonable amount offered (and then accepted by the passenger), then I have no issue.

However, that point isn't up for debate as we're all in agreement.

Quite why a crewmember of any airline, should be prioritised over another passenger, is my concern.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.