Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New seats again for short haul

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Perhaps you have never experienced CX's Inquisition designed shell seats which did not recline but slide down. Theory excellent, but after even a short period it felt had spent time with Torquemada and his crew.

I just hope BA's effort is more comfortable........................
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
It's not a bad seat considering (I've tried it at AIX as shown in the article above that I scribed)

It's got to be better than the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle. That seat I swear is not fit for purpose in any row bar Row 1 and the exit rows

Just expect higher densities - this seat is designed for 29".

Although IAG decide to implement the Airbus/Recaro Smart Seat concept- then anything is possible.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Not quite, 15 degrees according to the manufacturer.

http://en.recaro-as.com/products/eco...ss/sl3510.html
How much do they recline currently? I recall someone saying that CE pitch was to remain at 30''? I hope that's correct.

I do think it's reasonable to recline on a late night flight like Athens.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I fly these seats on EasyJet and Air France Domestic 'La Navette' flights on A320s. In both cases the typical block time for me is less than 1.5 hours. I don't think AF has put these in mainline routes outside France.

They are OK for this length but not much more. Which is ironic really as the NEOs that BA will fit them to will generate more savings over longer sectors due to the improved fuel burn so I guess they will be put on the long routes first.

In both EasyJet and AF Navette configurations it is a one class operation and I don't think that there is much of a premium effect on these narrower seats with the middle seat left free for Club, even with a panini and some alcohol thrown in for good measure. More often than not I am in Row 1 on EasyJet with a vacant seat next to me which is about as good as it gets. And honestly it isn't that good. AF gives you free drinks and a snack with this product btw.

I understand the need to make money but surely once this cabin goes in then the European operation needs to be rebranded away from BA. The gap between W/J/F international and a connecting flight in Y or C is going to be huge. With the density comes the baggage problem and so I guess it will need to go down to one carry on in Y unless you have status, which again will pose connecting flight problems.

I guess a codeshared Euro IAG brand will make sense but with this short haul product trying to cover 2 classes I don't see the BA Mainline brand stretching to cover it without loss of credibility. There is nothing remotely premium about these seats.

Last edited by Robespierre; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:39 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
Originally Posted by James91
Thank god - sick to death off selfish people reclining as soon as the flight takes off. Sooner reclining seats are gone for good the better.
I was on a IB flight from MAD to DUS in Business recently, and the woman I use that term loosely sat in row 1 as soon as the plane was wheels up reclined into my knees and put her feet on the bulkhead. Now the seatbelt sign was still on, I am sure this is not allowed but me making a lot of noise and giggling my Legs annoyed the hell out of her. I couldn't keep it going for 2 hours so moved to Row 4 which was unoccupied but I was thinking how ******* rude I am over 6 ft and making an astonished noise of pain when she did it shud have made her realise she had done something [inappropriate content redacted by mod].

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 11, 2017 at 1:42 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
These seats are also narrower than the current seats - Easy Jet have wider aisles than BA and this is what helps them board their flights faster and get away on time more often.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Tuggster
I was on a IB flight from MAD to DUS in Business recently, and the woman I use that term loosely sat in row 1 as soon as the plane was wheels up reclined into my knees and put her feet on the bulkhead. Now the seatbelt sign was still on, I am sure this is not allowed but me making a lot of noise and giggling my Legs annoyed the hell out of her. I couldn't keep it going for 2 hours so moved to Row 4 which was unoccupied but I was thinking how ******* rude I am over 6 ft and making an astonished noise of pain when she did it shud have made her realise she had done something [inappropriate content redacted by mod]
ever thought it might be you being rude? If the seat reclines it designed to do so. Hence she was only doing what the product offered.
If you can't cope with that buy the seat in front of you next time too.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 11, 2017 at 1:42 am Reason: Inappropriate content in the quoted post was redacted by mod
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
"It is unclear how BA’s adoption of an eight-year-old product seven years after others in the market is benchmark-setting."

Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Those seats may be more comfortable than an old seat of some other type, but I actually don't think they are more comfortable than BA's current seat.

However much more importantly they are not very durable if abused. Under the seat cushion the seat base is an aluminium mesh, and I have already seen one of them (on an Easyjet aircraft) bent into unusability by someone standing on the seat. It may be undesirable that they do so, but people do stand on seats, and it shouldn't wreck them.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
Originally Posted by DFB_london
ever thought it might be you being rude? If the seat reclines it designed to do so. Hence she was only doing what the product offered.
If you can't cope with that buy the seat in front of you next time too.
No It isnt the fact she reclined the seat, it was A. The seat belt sign was still on, and I am pretty sure seats should be in the upright position, & B. the speed she done it i yelped in pain, but she didnt even register interest that she may have caused an issue with the person behind her, hence what got my back up
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Tuggster
No It isnt the fact she reclined the seat, it was A. The seat belt sign was still on, and I am pretty sure seats should be in the upright position, & B. the speed she done it i yelped in pain, but she didnt even register interest that she may have caused an issue with the person behind her, hence what got my back up
She may genuinely not have realised that she's inconvenienced you. You could have asked her politely to put her seat back up a little because it was causing you pain rather than digging your knees into the back of her seat. While I would not recline my seat on short haul unless the seat behind me is empty, when the seat has a mechanism to recline, you really haven't got much choice but to tolerate being reclined into.

[I do not endorse putting one's feel on the bulkhead in any way - it scratches the bulkhead if in shoes, and their feet/shoes often come into contact with magazines. I think it's awful. The bulkhead is not designed for feet.)

It may also help you if you sit really deep in seat and sit up because it would make your legs stick out less.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Robespierre
I fly these seats on EasyJet and Air France Domestic 'La Navette' flights on A320s. In both cases the typical block time for me is less than 1.5 hours. I don't think AF has put these in mainline routes outside France.
That's right, the AF seat on non-domestic is B/E Pinnacle, the same as the BA Airbus fleet at the moment, but with some differences in the seatback arrangement.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It may also help you if you sit really deep in seat and sit up because it would make your legs stick out less.
Without adding fuel to the fire I think the real question is whether this should really be necessary in a premium cabin for a 2hr flight on a full service carrier? Should it be the same routine as a LCC single class config?

Last edited by Robespierre; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:43 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:33 am

It's just me, But I NEVER recline in SH, ET or CE, I don't travel in WT thankfully, but the 1 time 1 Reclined in WT+ I 1st asked the person sat behind me if it was ok for me to do so, I guess that's the way I was brought up manners and all.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
These seats are also narrower than the current seats - Easy Jet have wider aisles than BA and this is what helps them board their flights faster and get away on time more often.
Yes. That and a robust/consistently enforced boarding priority and cabin baggage policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.