Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better Layover?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Better Layover?

So I've got a choice for an upcoming trip from BOS-AMS. Either 1.55 hr in DUB or 1 hr in LHR. since the 2nd leg of the DUB trip is operated by AirLingus, I think it may be a terminal switch...Blah. The question is, will 1 hr in LHR be enough time as gates in 5 may be far apart.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
So I assume you options are:

BOS>DUB>AMS with EI or
BOS>LHR>AMS with BA

If the above is correct, no terminal switch at DUB, you'll be in and out of T2.
1 hour for a LHR transfer is tight, which BOS>LHR flight are you looking at, the one which arrives around 5.30am or a later one?

Pilot37
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by jc1633
So I've got a choice for an upcoming trip from BOS-AMS. Either 1.55 hr in DUB or 1 hr in LHR. since the 2nd leg of the DUB trip is operated by AirLingus, I think it may be a terminal switch...Blah. The question is, will 1 hr in LHR be enough time as gates in 5 may be far apart.
I often do the minimum connection time (MCT) at T5-T5 of 60 minutes and as long as your flight arrives on time, or with no more than 15-20 minutes of delay, you will be absolutely fine.

I actually think the MCT for a T5-T5 transit should be reduced to 45 minutes (barring implications on ready to fly/conformance, of course).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Pilot37, the DUB trip is all AI (6136/8964) Arrive5:20DUB.

rossmacd...you haven't traveled with my bro....slowest man alive I swear :-)

Last edited by jc1633; Apr 10, 2017 at 6:38 am Reason: add more info.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
I don't understand! Are you flying BOS-LHR-AMS or BOS-DUB-AMS?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BA or bust
I don't understand! Are you flying BOS-LHR-AMS or BOS-DUB-AMS?
Neither I think. I think the OP wants to know which is better connection-wise and then decide on either routing.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

That is my exact question BA or bust...which one to choose... same price, basicly same time of departure/arrival, just wondering if the 1 hour at LHR is enough or to take the longer layover in DUB.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That is my exact question BA or bust...which one to choose... same price, basicly same time of departure/arrival, just wondering if the 1 hour at LHR is enough or to take the longer layover in DUB.
Or a further alternative: You could choose to take a longer connection time at LHR. There should be plenty of flights from LHR to AMS during the course of the day.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Take LHR, if you miss your flight there are enough LHR-AMS flights every single day to be rebooked.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Nearly 2 hours in DUB is an ample connection. It's fairly compact and being a morning flight the flight connection experience is fairly slick. However as noted there aren't so many flights there as T5. If you want a hassle free experience and you are travelling out of the bad weather periods then DUB is the better experience. 1 hour is do-able for sure, but you will be under pressure of the clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.