Wiki Posts
Search

Return of the amuse-bouche and other tales

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Even worse the tea selection has been enhanced and the jasmine tea has been removed so there is now no green tea variant in F. Asked for green tea from Club World and there was none available.
Tea is the one catering item BA should still be doing well! I was extremely sad when the elderflower Darjeeling disappeared from the F tea menu last year.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Only the headset should be on the buddy seat, when offering a wash bag, sleeper suits, slippers and day blankets should be proactively offered.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FrancisA
But the tasting menu was only ever on a limited number of routes and obviously BA didn't think it worked

[..]

How many in this board ever fly long haul in economy?
on the first part tasting menu was on all A380 flights and bistro selections on all others. I don't think there is anything obvious about suggesting ba thought it 'didn't work'. I think the only part that is obvious is that ba thought they could cut those costs. I personally miss both and the bistro selection even more than the tasting selection as it allowed me to have something I liked for a second meal as opposed to the afternoon tea I thoroughly dislike.

on the second part, I do. My long haul flying mixes J (majority), Y and F.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:42 pm

Maybe bring back the bistro menu as well? Often on long haul night flights pax tend to go sleep first, then may wake up mid-flight and ask for a bite, but not too substantial. (Me being one of them)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
on the first part tasting menu was on all A380 flights and bistro selections on all others. I don't think there is anything obvious about suggesting ba thought it 'didn't work'. I think the only part that is obvious is that ba thought they could cut those costs. I personally miss both and the bistro selection even more than the tasting selection as it allowed me to have something I liked for a second meal as opposed to the afternoon tea I thoroughly dislike.
Agree with this - I miss both the tasting menu and the bistro menu.
My next flight is to LAX in a couple of weeks time. If the tasting menu was still offered then I would almost certainly go for it. With it removed as part of BA's continuing enhancements - here is the menu. (BTW the link to view the full menu in MMB does not work, it just comes up with blank page so I cannot see what other delights are on the menu)

The amuse bouche will therefore be a surprise on board. Let's hope it is not like this amuse bouche from a previous flight in BA F.

Yes it was what appeared to be a major part of a tin of Green Giant sweetcorn with a few microherbs thrown on top with a Goat cheese quiche.

Anyhow back to the menu.

- Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef with chervil ratte potatoes, broad bean purée, sautéed king oyster mushroom, chargrilled spring onions and Bordelaise sauce - the beef will most probably be like shoe leather and every time I see a wordsmithed accompaniment description I guess it will most probably look like baby food sauce.
Here is an example for those who have not had the pleasure. It also shows what the stone bass option might look like. The fish in this example (Roast Cod) was like cotton wool.

- Pan fried stone bass with lightly smoked fennel and kasha salad, heirloom tomatoes and balsamic essence - the fish can be good but more often than not is overcooked (just like the beef) Overcooked fish particularly bass tends to have the texture of cotton wool. Not pleasant or a First classs experience.

- British beef burger with chorizo, guacamole, Monterey Jack cheese and sweet potato fries - well a burger in BA F, what next a Big Mac or a Whopper in BA F.

Risotto primavera with chargrilled baby courgette, parmesan and rocket salad - cheap and cheerful risotto. I have had it a couple of times in F due to the other menu items being just as poor as this menu. Never memorable.

Main course salad of Loch Fyne kinglas smoked salmon with Burford brown poached egg, asparagus, roasted herb new potatoes and hollandaise sauce
- this will probably be the meal I end up going for. Provided the poached egg is cooked ok it should be acceptable. Is it what I would define as First class food - no.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA

I tend to think BA is getting this right. Decent premium cabins, quality but pay for what you want economy.

How many in this board ever fly long haul in economy?
Me and without status.

They are not getting anything right other than getting us from A to B
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator

The amuse bouche will therefore be a surprise on board.
Nearly 2 weeks ago I had this amuse bouche:

- Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef with chervil ratte potatoes, broad bean purée, sautéed king oyster mushroom, chargrilled spring onions and Bordelaise sauce - the beef will most probably be like shoe leather and every time I see a wordsmithed accompaniment description I guess it will most probably look like baby food sauce.
In my case the beef was nearly well done, but still edible, no shoe leather. Maybe because I asked the crew not to overcook it.

Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Agree with this - I miss both the tasting menu and the bistro menu.
My next flight is to LAX in a couple of weeks time.

Anyhow back to the menu.

- Pan fried stone bass with lightly smoked fennel and kasha salad, heirloom tomatoes and balsamic essence - the fish can be good but more often than not is overcooked (just like the beef) Overcooked fish particularly bass tends to have the texture of cotton wool. Not pleasant or a First classs experience.

- British beef burger with chorizo, guacamole, Monterey Jack cheese and sweet potato fries - well a burger in BA F, what next a Big Mac or a Whopper in BA F.

Risotto primavera with chargrilled baby courgette, parmesan and rocket salad - cheap and cheerful risotto. I have had it a couple of times in F due to the other menu items being just as poor as this menu. Never memorable.

Main course salad of Loch Fyne kinglas smoked salmon with Burford brown poached egg, asparagus, roasted herb new potatoes and hollandaise sauce
- this will probably be the meal I end up going for. Provided the poached egg is cooked ok it should be acceptable. Is it what I would define as First class food - no.
I have the same menu on my BOS flight on Friday. Have gone for the Burger on the basis it can't be as bad as any of the other offerings. :/
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan
I have the same menu on my BOS flight on Friday. Have gone for the Burger on the basis it can't be as bad as any of the other offerings. :/
I've had the burger on the last 3 flights it was on the menu, and actually don't find it bad at all. It's pretty substantial, tastes of something and doesn't pretend it's something it's not (unlike a lot of the other choices). And much better than a McD or BK offering.^
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by LBP2
I've had the burger on the last 3 flights it was on the menu, and actually don't find it bad at all. It's pretty substantial, tastes of something and doesn't pretend it's something it's not (unlike a lot of the other choices). And much better than a McD or BK offering.^
I'd definitely consider it ^
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Me and without status.

They are not getting anything right other than getting us from A to B
I havent LH for at least 3 years now, but used to all the time. OH flies Econ on way out, WT+ way home (with me lol). He doesnt need wt+ on a day flight as i pick him up at the airport so he doesnt have to drive 2 hours.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LBP2
Pretty poor for a first class dining option though, isn't it ?

(And ok, so I've had a burger at The Ivy, but I wasn't paying thousands for the privilege...)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by bafan

(And ok, so I've had a burger at The Ivy, but I wasn't paying thousands for the privilege...)
That's why there is a choice. I'd have the burger anytime over the plate of rice pudding containing 3 half-inch pieces of asparagus (thereby an asparagus risotto) I had on the flight home from Tokyo on Saturday. Unfortunately - for me - it had only been on the menu on the way out.

I also know what the economy meals on the same flights are like, and there is a massive difference between a decent burger and a tin tray of slop.

Big Mac £3.19 Ivy Burger £16.75 - 525% increase one over the other. It's all relative, isn't it (because no, they aren't the same thing).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by bafan

Did The Ivy take you to LAX?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:39 pm

In a big comfy armchair/bed that takes up the same space as at least 6 people crammed in the back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.