FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA may start BoB in Y longhaul! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1835487-ba-may-start-bob-y-longhaul.html)

BA6948 Apr 9, 2017 2:42 am

BA may start BoB in Y longhaul!

Well, it seems we haven't yet witnessed the lowest point of BA:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5...3-67de1d6b4791

windowontheAside Apr 9, 2017 2:45 am

This would be huge. I can cope on s/h if they tun out of sandwiches, or the technology plays up, but I don't fancy a 10 hour flight with mo food.

sondra_finchley Apr 9, 2017 2:49 am

The meagre amounts already on the approx 8 hour flights are bad enough. And no, if you make it so bad I will want to pay for better doesn't mean thats going to happen LH.

Is it just me or are these press releases from BA drifting towards Ryanair level? "They wouldn't dare!" type announcements.

scubaccr Apr 9, 2017 2:51 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 28149406)
This would be huge. I can cope on s/h if they tun out of sandwiches, or the technology plays up, but I don't fancy a 10 hour flight with mo food.

Not just that , but BOB , also means buy drinks including water, juice etc.

Not workable on 8hour USA flights let alone 12hour Asia flights

IAMORGAN Apr 9, 2017 2:53 am

It's coming, isn't it? As I see it, just as we had the 'LCC revolution' years ago for short haul, we are now seeing viable LCC models for long haul. BA will have to meet this competitive challenge and it seems that they've decided the way to do it in economy is to compete on price. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Stoemp Apr 9, 2017 2:58 am

The same article suggests that fresh flowers and the amuse bouche are set to be reintroduced in F. If true that would be welcome news.

xenole Apr 9, 2017 3:03 am

Sure someone will look at things in a "300+ people starving back in Y, but hey, we've got a plastic (or perhaps actually real) flower in the toilet!" sort of way ;)

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 28149417)
Not just that , but BOB , also means buy drinks including water, juice etc.

Not workable on 8hour USA flights let alone 12hour Asia flights

Thomas Cook etc. seem to manage with pre-ordering of meals on their flight to the US and the Caribbean.
BA mind you will probably load 4 meals onto a trolley for 300 people and hit their sales targets by selling all four in the first row.

Going slightly off topic, how successful has the take up of the pre-ordering of the fancier economy etc. meals been?

IAMORGAN Apr 9, 2017 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Stoemp (Post 28149432)
The same article suggests that fresh flowers and the amuse bouche are set to be reintroduced in F. If true that would be welcome news.

Yes - it seems basically their plan is to 'invest' in premium cabins where they can but adopt a lcc model down the back.

I have no real problem with them becoming an LCC in WT (don't get me wrong, I hate all of this dumbing down but the public generally seem to like it so it's here to stay). It sounds like they may have had an "oh ...." moment in terms of premium cabins. Investing in a flower and an amuse bouche are steps in the right direction. Next they need to invest in fresh fruit as part of the CE breakfast and an actual meal on 2 hour European flights instead of a panini or an amuse bouche. Then the investment might be somewhere near the investment they previously took away. They need some investment left over to pay salaries and suppliers etc at month end, obviously.

Cynical.

headingwest Apr 9, 2017 3:09 am

What a sad sad airline BA is becoming.

From the perspective of an economy traveller of course....I'm sure premium paying passengers will be quite indifferent!

lost_in_translation Apr 9, 2017 3:12 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 28149454)
What a sad sad airline BA is becoming.

From the perspective of an Economy traveller of course....I'm sure premium paying passengers will be quite indifferent!

That depends on the individual passenger, I think a lot of paying premium passengers think BA had become more than just a little bit sad also.

xenole Apr 9, 2017 3:14 am

A flower and the re-introduction of the amuse bouche isn't going to make me suddenly want to fly BA F, but that's just my opinion. We've seen a number here who vowed never to fly BA again after losing these things so we'll see if something that trivial brings them flocking back.

We've lost the CCR Millionaire's door, but got a new wing in return that in some respects lessens the F experience but it's being made up with a flower (that you may or may not see once on an 8hr flight should you visit the toilet) and a cracker & prawn or something.

Out of my last 6 WT and WT+ flights (JFK, BOS, LAX, HKG), I've only eaten or drunk anything once. To be honest, probably twice in the last few years of flying BA.
I've generally eaten in a lounge previously so I'm not fussed about a possible 4 course meal in F (stomach did not agree with me last flying F after overdoing things in the CCR) or something like chicken & pasta at midnight flying out of Hong Kong.
8-10hrs flying to JFK is easily survivable without food during the day and even easier at night. That said, I do tend to bring a piece of fruit and maybe some crisps from the lounge just in case / or if things get really delayed.

headingwest Apr 9, 2017 3:15 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 28149457)
That depends on the individual passenger, I think a lot of paying premium passengers think BA had become more than just a little bit sad also.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right!!

I was thinking more in terms of this particular story.

wb1969 Apr 9, 2017 3:21 am

Is Alex Cruz Michael O'Leary in disguise?

Is there no end to the penny pinching?

They'll be charging for checked baggage in long haul next.

Dambus Apr 9, 2017 3:25 am

EI model of free soft drinks and a basic meal with paid alcohol together with a number of upgraded meal options (£20 including wine) might work.

The upgraded meals are pre-order only, are served first and of decent quality. No delay/disruption of the standard meal service and no crazy aisle blocking with BoB carts and broken BoB payment terminals.

Later in the flight there is a paid snack and alcoholic beverage service which operates from the Galley.

Also, great on-board top tier recognition with personal greeting, free wifi in Y, discrete glass or two of C wines offered and a coupe of free snacks from the BOB menu.

ahmetdouas Apr 9, 2017 3:39 am

Originally Posted by wb1969 (Post 28149474)
Is Alex Cruz Michael O'Leary in disguise?

Is there no end to the penny pinching?

They'll be charging for checked baggage in long haul next.

Don't insult O'Leary! BOB works just fine on FR!