BA may start BoB in Y longhaul!

Old Apr 9, 17, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
A flower and the re-introduction of the amuse bouche isn't going to make me suddenly want to fly BA F, but that's just my opinion. We've seen a number here who vowed never to fly BA again after losing these things so we'll see if something that trivial brings them flocking back.

We've lost the CCR Millionaire's door, but got a new wing in return that in some respects lessens the F experience but it's being made up with a flower (that you may or may not see once on an 8hr flight should you visit the toilet) and a cracker & prawn or something.

Out of my last 6 WT and WT+ flights (JFK, BOS, LAX, HKG), I've only eaten or drunk anything once. To be honest, probably twice in the last few years of flying BA.
I've generally eaten in a lounge previously so I'm not fussed about a possible 4 course meal in F (stomach did not agree with me last flying F after overdoing things in the CCR) or something like chicken & pasta at midnight flying out of Hong Kong.
8-10hrs flying to JFK is easily survivable without food during the day and even easier at night. That said, I do tend to bring a piece of fruit and maybe some crisps from the lounge just in case / or if things get really delayed.
But most y passengers dont have the chance to eat in the CCR, and then steal from there also, like you !
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:46 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
As you predicted, BA have responded, 'In a statement issued later, BA said: "We have no plans currently for a buy-on-board economy product on long-haul, but if that is what interests customers of the future, we will listen."'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3510961.html
I am sure there are so many BA customers saying " please stop giving me free food and make me pay !!"
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 View Post
But most y passengers dont have the chance to eat in the CCR, and then steal from there also, like you !
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1. ^^.

I'm not above filling a Nalgene bottle with Johnny Walker Blue Label or LPGS with the way BA has been going lately...
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:50 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 View Post
I am sure there are so many BA customers saying " please stop giving me free food and make me pay !!"
I love being charged for water and coffee!
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
I love being charged for water and coffee!
+1. I can't wait to be charged for some water on a LHR-JNB flight!
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1. ^^.
Bag of crisps once (Kettle chips are too greasy) and a couple of pieces of orange fruit from the b-gates twice.

I didn't always have status so used to eat in various airport eateries, in the city beforehand etc. Would also come prepared with a tube of Pringles, a granola bar etc. Still fly airlines and from places where I don't have status and/or lounges so improvise.

I know a lot of people outside of these forums who do the same. They're used to flying on airlines where you pay for most things so either expect to pay or come prepared.
I have family in Scotland, who the convenience of a local airport more than anything, fly Thomson and happily pay 100 extra for seats, baggage and food. They, and others, are used to paying for extras when flying a lot of "low cost" airlines so have adapted.

As I said previously, timings also play a part here.
Leaving Hong Kong at 11:15pm on the A380, it's probably after 1am before you eat and up to an hour after that before things are cleared away so that you can try and sleep.
There's no need at all for a meal at that time.
Same with later flights out of JFK. Realistically, how many people sit down for a full meal at nearly 11pm and sleep 10 minutes later?
Or ex-BOS flights that can take around 6hrs with a good tailwind. That's nothing really and if people want to get any sleep, having nearly half the flight taken up by meal service(s) isn't good.
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I said a long time ago that BA only cares about its J and F passengers. It has been consistently neglecting Y passengers and making them feel unwelcome.

Other airlines on S/H and L/H make you feel a lot more welcome.
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Going slightly off topic, how successful has the take up of the pre-ordering of the fancier economy etc. meals been?[/QUOTE]

I flew to HKG pre Xmas. Ordered 4 of the fancier meals. Only 2 were loaded. One of the ones that was actually loaded was the 'Healthy Choice', where the fish had been overcooked to the point of being completely dried out. Would have complained if it had been free, never mind being charged for. We were the only ones that booked the fancy meal and the CSD said that they were not many bought in her experience. If my experience was typical you can understand her comment.
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Blue
It's just laughable, on a pretty much daily basis there is a negative story about BA in the press.

Cruz is quite frankly a mug if he thinks this is what customers want- I would love to meet the people who have supposedly started to fly with BA as a result of BoB - I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't said they won't be flying with them again since it's introduction.

BA has died a complete death, am down to my last 20,000 Avios and that's it - easyJet all the way for me, I think it will take years for them to undo the damage he has done - Economy passengers are not completely fixated with price as he seems to think - they do also value quality and comfort (perhaps why the ME3 are so large and popular..?)
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Dear BA

Thank you for your generosity over the years. I will always be grateful for the complimentary food, unlimited drinks, free seat selection, free checked luggage and your more-than-enough Tier Points and Avios as a reward for choosing BA.

But I don't want any of this philanthropy any more. I want to pay the same price for my ticket, but I also want to pay for my food, drinks, seat and luggage, and in return, I'd like fewer Avios and TPs.

If I have forgotten anything that is currently included in my ticket, please let me know, as I would prefer to pay for those too.

Regards

WB1969

PS Apologies for using crayon. I'm not allowed to use anything sharp.
Old Apr 10, 17, 2:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by londonba2014 View Post
It's just laughable, on a pretty much daily basis there is a negative story about BA in the press.

Cruz is quite frankly a mug if he thinks this is what customers want- I would love to meet the people who have supposedly started to fly with BA as a result of BoB - I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't said they won't be flying with them again since it's introduction.

BA has died a complete death, am down to my last 20,000 Avios and that's it - easyJet all the way for me, I think it will take years for them to undo the damage he has done - Economy passengers are not completely fixated with price as he seems to think - they do also value quality and comfort (perhaps why the ME3 are so large and popular..?)
Very well put ^

Originally Posted by bmibaby737 View Post
Whats the point of founding level when BA will just become them anyway?
This is what I genuinely don't understand, what exactly was the point?

I thought that they wanted to set up a no-frills, cheap as chips airline so that customers had a choice - (LEVEL) pay very little for basic product, or (BA/IB) pay the standard price for all the usual services. Why go to all the trouble of setting up another airline? Is it just a way to remove lounge access?
Old Apr 10, 17, 2:24 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Very well put ^

This is what I genuinely don't understand, what exactly was the point?

I thought that they wanted to set up a no-frills, cheap as chips airline so that customers had a choice - (LEVEL) pay very little for basic product, or (BA/IB) pay the standard price for all the usual services. Why go to all the trouble of setting up another airline? Is it just a way to remove lounge access?
LH has Eurowings, I don't see why BA wouldn't benefit from the same business model when they are anyway going thru the trouble of setting up a new airline.
Old Apr 10, 17, 2:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
LH has Eurowings, I don't see why BA wouldn't benefit from the same business model when they are anyway going thru the trouble of setting up a new airline.
Yes, but is Lufthansa going to remove free food/drinks on longhaul? Eurowings and Lufthansa are very different economy products.

If BA goes ahead and removes free food and drinks, they'll effectively have 2 airlines with the same basic economy product.
Old Apr 10, 17, 3:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
BOB is standard on all carriers for flights within North America, some of which reach to more than 6 hours (BOS-LAX being the standard example). It's been that way for around 15 years now. But yes, totally inadequate stocking of items is an Air Canada phenomenon. Good luck getting anything hot if you are not sitting in the first two or three rows.
Yes but this is changing now. They are starting to introduce meals on longer flights.
Old Apr 10, 17, 3:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
So what then. A new airline called British Airways 'Plus' ?

(Plus standing for anything more than a seat anywhere on the plane must be a Plus, meaning you must pay extra for it!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: