BA may start BoB in Y longhaul!

Old Apr 9, 17, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
As you predicted, BA have responded, 'In a statement issued later, BA said: "We have no plans currently for a buy-on-board economy product on long-haul, but if that is what interests customers of the future, we will listen."'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3510961.html
"Currently"
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The danger is that many of us started flying BA in Y and graduated to the forward cabins with a sense of brand loyalty. That link will be shattered when you truly offer those in WT a Guatemalan chicken bus with wings experience.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
As you predicted, BA have responded, 'In a statement issued later, BA said: "We have no plans currently for a buy-on-board economy product on long-haul, but if that is what interests customers of the future, we will listen."'

Didn't we hear that before?!? I take that as a definite.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:01 am

BA already does buy-up meals in Y on the same model as Aer Lingus and they're pretty good. The main differences with EI is that EI includes wine which is otherwise BoB, BA's non-buy-up meals are (for now) not so bad as to make the buy-up a necessity which is the case on EI and I think BAs are only available ex-LHR (ICBW on that one).
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Next time I fly F, if there's a flower in the toilet, I'll borrow it and take a walk down the back for all to see

I believe it's inevitable that BA will got the BoB on LH Y route.
At the very least, I would remove it for overnight flights and I don't feel it's that necessary to be eating on a plane from 9pm onwards - ample time for most to have eaten somewhere else. It's not hard to being snacks and if you have a family with you, I would expect some experience of being prepared.

I'm sure to a lot of people it's little more than some distraction from the flight in the sense it either gives them something to do or "it's free so I might as well eat it".

It may also help with people wanting to sleep as with the talk about CW meal changes.

We all know it's cost saving rather than the welfare of the passengers, but if phased in properly rather than dumped on people in one go, it may work well or it may just push those who fly on price and perhaps a few bonus trappings, elsewhere (although there's always plenty of more Y travellers where they came from).
I think you should join the Alex Cruz team. He'll absolutely love you.

What about passengers connecting from other EU destinations on a short connection time to those 9PM flights? They would have started their journey mid/late afternoon. Some of them would not have even had the chance to enjoy a percy pig bag. And what about high paying Y fare passengers?

If BA does that, they'll just lose a big chunk of their Y Business Travelers. They won't put it up with this cr$p anymore.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As you predicted, BA have responded, 'In a statement issued later, BA said: "(...) but if that is what interests customers of the future, we will listen."'

So they've confirmed they'll do it!
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6948 View Post
I think you should join the Alex Cruz team. He'll absolutely love you.

What about passengers connecting from other EU destinations on a short connection time to those 9PM flights? They would have started their journey mid/late afternoon. Some of them would not have even had the chance to enjoy a percy pig bag. And what about high paying Y fare passengers?

If BA does that, they'll just lose a big chunk of their Y Business Travelers. They won't put it up with this cr$p anymore.
They'll never please everyone. As with everything, some will benefit, some will lose out.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Silver, Oman Air Silver, Hilton Silver, Amex Gold
I suspect I'm rather below the corporate ladder than many here, but I find myself in the fun position of having control over both my business flights and those for others who need to go abroad.

Even before this, I prioritised other carriers over BA. The idea of the enhanced follow-up meal took the biscuit for me (pun intended ). If I'm sorting flights, I don't want people arriving with a small Kit Kat dressed up as a meal. BoB would be a further notch of embarrassment.

For myself, it's Virgin every time when abroad, and this just cements that decision even further, since they retain the image in my mind of being actually premium. I have the fun of CE in Europe when it's my own money, but it's economy long-haul because of company policy. I just wonder how they'll spin this and what dodgy data will suggest everyone is looking forward to it...
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm amazed at the passionate response to the idea that you might not get free terrible food on your cheap Y ticket. Bring your own food or buy on board, either choice is an improvement to the current offering.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Barmy, absolutely barmy.

I was thinking about renewing status (to Silver) next year, but news like this just pushes the likes of me further and further away. Norwegian must be laughing their socks off.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:22 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
It's rather looking like it's going to play out that way, isn't it.

"customers told us that they wanted more choice and that they wanted fares to be kept low."

Straight out of the SH BoB playbook.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:27 am

I'm one of those people who thinks that BoB for short haul was probably a good thing. Before I got some food I didn't want to eat, ate it, and complained about it. Now I get to eat whatever I want at the airport and fly and play with my Ipad.

Of course the pay for drinks is a bad one for me, but my last trip through LHR had me buying sodas for something like 2 for £2,50 which is fine by me.

But on long haul it's different. Most people want to eat something on a 8-12hrs flight, and due to the humidity drink several drinks. I have refrained from booking flights where they charge for drinks on long haul even if it would be cheaper in the end (ie where fare + 2 colas would be cheaper than fare including disgusting food and drinks), and I will continue to do so.

I don't think getting something to drink is a premium class endeavour.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by rocketship87 View Post
I'm amazed at the passionate response to the idea that you might not get free terrible food on your cheap Y ticket. Bring your own food or buy on board, either choice is an improvement to the current offering.
Are you Alex Cruz??? Do you believe £2200 down to JNB in Y is cheap?

oh well, some other airlines till serve some great food. And are cheaper.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA6948 View Post
Are you Alex Cruz??? Do you believe £2200 down to JNB in Y is cheap?

oh well, some other airlines till serve some great food. And are cheaper.
There are PLENTY of other ways to get down to JNB for less than £2200 and sat considerably further forward in the aircraft. You have a choice not to fly BA.

You can't build policy around the occasional full fare Y traveller. The vast majority are on much cheaper and less flexible tickets.

I'm sure if everyone flying F was on a full F fare then we might see some substantial improvements to the catering, ground handling, etc.
Old Apr 9, 17, 7:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I actually donít believe so - BA has responded to the matter with a straight forward no. But lets say that BOB is up for consideration in the mid to long term, if you consider actual plans recently announced by IAG, such as Fly Level which is branded as a low cost carrier with a meal for purchase proposition limited to one fare type out of six, then you can see the direction this could possibly go. However, none of this takes into account the influence corporate purchasers have on BA - who with the exception of schedule and price are broadly indifferent to what BA does to short haul. Long haul is a very different beast.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: