BA may start BoB in Y longhaul!

Old Apr 9, 17, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Twitter is exploding and it made it now to the evening standard... Poor BA CR team!!!
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3510961.html
BA deserves all the bad press it gets and this week's PR stunt is now all but forgotten.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
One thing I would say is that in my view, anyone who believes that cuts in Y service correlates with money being invested in premium travel is badly deluded. The history of the aviation industry has shown quite clearly that when Airlines make decisions to deteriorate the Y experience, despite (systematic) early gesticulation and promise otherwise, this shortly leads to the premium experience losing quality too as the airlines can maintain the differential whilst saving money and choose to do just that.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
This seems entirely predictable with the way this airline is going. How is anyone even remotely surprised by this idea?
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LSunbury View Post

Unfortunately I think its certain the 'may' will turn to 'will' as long as the top brass of BA continue to convince themselves the cuts are what the customer wants.

Its hard to believe that it is less than 3 months since BOB started on SH.
I prefer lambast entities and people for what they have done or announce that they are going to do, rather than what appears in the paper. I got hot under my collar over the actual rather than conjecture
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Often organisations send up these trial balloons to see what the reaction is. Let's see if BA respond to this beyond the usual 'we have no current plans'!
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:54 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mikebg View Post
I think you are being extremely unfair with respect to the new First Wing. All those who have used it say it is a MAJOR improvement. To get to the lounge 5 minutes after drop off with no hassle really is a big deal. The CCR "Millionaire's door" is a small loss for connecting passengers
Actually, I don't think (s)he is. You're right the new F wing is definitely a plus for those owe flying with checked luggage, particularly if they are... not flying F!

For the rest of us, the changes introduced are neutral or negative.

- When I fly as a connecting F/CCR pax this will make my experience worse. Sure the loss in time is not huge but it's in fact typically marginally more than what ex-LHR F pax with checked luggage will gain.

- when I fly ex-LHR as F/CCR pax with no checked luggage (which is my typical case) I'll actually also be slightly worse off personally as I come on the tube and always used north fast track where I have actually never experienced more than 5 minutes wait (often 0) and have typically always made it from tube lift to inside the CCR in 5-10 minutes while it will be marginally more now as a mixed consequence of slightly longer walk and one additional bp scan (once pre-security to check F lounge/wing access and a second time to answer the CCR).

moreover, in all cases, it also pénalisés me a second time when leaving the CCR to go to my gate (unless flying from a gate on the south side of the terminal).

dont take me wrong, I'm not saying that the f wing is a bad thing at all, it is an improvement for some passengers for sure, but it comes at the expense of the experience of other passengers, and whilst feedback has been very positive, it's worth noting that it's mostly been positive from passengers who are in fact not flying F/using the CCR but rather regular OWE on non F tickets who find the new access to GF vastly better than before. In fact, you'll have seen several F pax already mentioning that when flying F and not arriving early they won't even bother going into the ccr at all.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I'm not sure this is a bad thing, the complimentary food offering has been enhanced so much that it is just pitiful already. People talking about offering basic meal with buy up option, well that's what it is already and its the reason I fly AA as much as possible these days.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:59 am

I also love how this thread is the very encapsulation of the BA FT board, starts talking about BoB in Y and within a couple of pages ends up as a debate about the new F wing and how F passengers have to walk a little further or don't get to feel self important by going through the millionaires door into the CCR.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:08 am

Indeed....usually followed by someone starting another thread on exactly the same thing.

Oh....hang on.....
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Joely View Post
I also love how this thread is the very encapsulation of the BA FT board, starts talking about BoB in Y and within a couple of pages ends up as a debate about the new F wing and how F passengers have to walk a little further or don't get to feel self important by going through the millionaires door into the CCR.
Quite. It's an intreresting juxtaposition of topics when Y product is taking a hammering but as long there's a flower in the loo in F, all is right in the world...

I know there's plenty of time on a long haul flight to serve all the Y pax, but would some pax be waiting a long time after the first pax buy their BOB?

Would BAEC/OW members of varying colours get any sort of preferential treatment? I know in the other thread that BA is reportedly looking into this for the BOB service on short haul.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Joely View Post
As you saw in the thread, an argument has been made that deterioration in Y is symmetric to an improvement of the F experience. If you know of a way to answer it without reference to the F experience, by all means, suggest away.

ps: not too sure either how choosing to use 'proletarian' main fast track over a dedicated F route is a sign of self-importance, but I'm sure that when you referred to how the thread encapsulates FT, you did not mean in terms of posters making judgemental assumptions about one another!
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
ps: not too sure either how choosing to use 'proletarian' main fast track over a dedicated F route is a sign of self-importance, but I'm sure that when you referred to how the thread encapsulates FT, you did not mean in terms of posters making judgemental assumptions about one another!
Perish the thought....although it would be nice if one of the few LH Y focused threads stayed as such and didn't turn into folks complaining about the lack of flowers in a toilet which isn't really much of a consideration for us ballast down the back
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:41 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
Never going to happen. Even the lowest of the low for full service carriers have meals in longhaul Y.
BA is not a full service carrier anymore !
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Often organisations send up these trial balloons to see what the reaction is. Let's see if BA respond to this beyond the usual 'we have no current plans'!
As you predicted, BA have responded, 'In a statement issued later, BA said: "We have no plans currently for a buy-on-board economy product on long-haul, but if that is what interests customers of the future, we will listen."'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3510961.html
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Next time I fly F, if there's a flower in the toilet, I'll borrow it and take a walk down the back for all to see

I believe it's inevitable that BA will got the BoB on LH Y route.
At the very least, I would remove it for overnight flights and I don't feel it's that necessary to be eating on a plane from 9pm onwards - ample time for most to have eaten somewhere else. It's not hard to being snacks and if you have a family with you, I would expect some experience of being prepared.

I'm sure to a lot of people it's little more than some distraction from the flight in the sense it either gives them something to do or "it's free so I might as well eat it".

It may also help with people wanting to sleep as with the talk about CW meal changes.

We all know it's cost saving rather than the welfare of the passengers, but if phased in properly rather than dumped on people in one go, it may work well or it may just push those who fly on price and perhaps a few bonus trappings, elsewhere (although there's always plenty of more Y travellers where they came from).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: