BA may start BoB in Y longhaul!

Old Apr 9, 17, 4:42 am
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Is it legal to not have some sort of meals included on longer flights?

I have done several low cost long-hauls (e.g. Air Transat) and there was always something to eat that was included in the basic fare / without needing to pay extra.

I came across this TR today Thomas Cook LGW-CPT | Better than BA in Economy ! and it says the meals were also free but extra food could be purchased.
Old Apr 9, 17, 4:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that the operative word is "may". They haven't done it yet. Maybe they never will. Still that shouldn't stop this thread running to 28 pages.
Old Apr 9, 17, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
This would make downgrades even more interesting.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Is it legal to not have some sort of meals included on longer flights?
Yes. Ask Norwegian. Their transatlantic LowFare ticket has food as a paid for optional pre order added extra
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post

Not workable on 8hour USA flights
It's already happened 40 years ago - Laker Airways Skytrain. I flew LGW-JFK return in December 1977, and bought my own food pre-flight.

Could it be that BA will introduce an additional Y cabin baggage allowance - a wicker hamper:

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/prod...r?taxon_id=755
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:28 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I've been saying this for a while, but I think it's inevitable (and not just at BA either).

Innovation will come only in two senses:

1) stripping back the legacy economy class offering to the lowest common public transport denominator of a seat to a destination
2) minimising the impact of a low margin base service through passenger volume (further densification) and optional paid-for add-ons.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Cruz is living in La La land. He makes the Donald look sane.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've been thinking about this, and I've come to the conclusion that i don't mind too much about bringing my own food. It's hit and miss what you get, so maybe best to do my own catering.

What is a real shame is not getting the complimentary drinks. I guess there's something psychological about knowing you've got access to a "free" bar
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
I think that the operative word is "may". They haven't done it yet. Maybe they never will. Still that shouldn't stop this thread running to 28 pages.
I think you're right - about the thread quickly running to 28 pages.

Unfortunately I think its certain the 'may' will turn to 'will' as long as the top brass of BA continue to convince themselves the cuts are what the customer wants.

Its hard to believe that it is less than 3 months since BOB started on SH.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
I can't imagine BoB on long-haul flights being incorporated. There's simply too much competition that won't/doesn't charge for meal service, as opposed to short-haul whereby there's little option or, at very least, inconvenient routing. It wouldn't surprise me if airlines tried to use rumours like this to leverage their catering services in contract negotiations, but I'd guess for any airline to incorporate it well they either need to be selling incredibly cheap tickets (which come under the cost of BAs taxes and carrier charges), or for every airline to go that route.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:09 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
We've lost the CCR Millionaire's door, but got a new wing in return that in some respects lessens the F experience but it's being made up with a flower
I think you are being extremely unfair with respect to the new First Wing. All those who have used it say it is a MAJOR improvement. To get to the lounge 5 minutes after drop off with no hassle really is a big deal. The CCR "Millionaire's door" is a small loss for connecting passengers, and could be restored if enough connecting passengers complain (as has happened recently with a number of other small 'enhancements'). It is certainly not something which cannot be changed.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:11 am

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Long haul BOB will only work if:
1, Free soft drinks are offered
2a, one simple meal is included with the option of buy up; or
2b, an expanded PY section so that only a very small number of cheap Y seats being sold without meals.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:13 am

Programs: FT
Never going to happen. Even the lowest of the low for full service carriers have meals in longhaul Y.
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Sure someone will look at things in a "300+ people starving back in Y, but hey, we've got a plastic (or perhaps actually real) flower in the toilet!" sort of way

Thomas Cook etc. seem to manage with pre-ordering of meals on their flight to the US and the Caribbean.
BA mind you will probably load 4 meals onto a trolley for 300 people and hit their sales targets by selling all four in the first row.

Going slightly off topic, how successful has the take up of the pre-ordering of the fancier economy etc. meals been?
actually TC give free meals on longhaul this changed about 2 years ago
Old Apr 9, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
Never going to happen. Even the lowest of the low for full service carriers have meals in longhaul Y.
Maybe they won't get rid of all free food but I would be very surprised if free booze is still available in long haul Y in a year or two.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: