Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OneWorld lounge access when not travelling OneWorld

Old Apr 7, 17, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR

I have a longhaul on a non-OneWorld airline, which only gives me access to a lesser lounge at T3. If I book a one-way shorthaul Avios redemption departing from T3 on the same day, I'll have access to the CX First lounge. So my plan is to check-in for the shorthaul, use the CX lounge for a few hours, cancel my booking, then return landside to check-in for my longhaul. Is this considered bad form? I realise I'll lose a small amount of Avios and cash, but can anyone forsee a problem with this scenario?
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
I have a longhaul on a non-OneWorld airline, which only gives me access to a lesser lounge at T3. If I book a one-way shorthaul Avios redemption departing from T3 on the same day, I'll have access to the CX First lounge. So my plan is to check-in for the shorthaul, use the CX lounge for a few hours, cancel my booking, then return landside to check-in for my longhaul. Is this considered bad form? I realise I'll lose a small amount of Avios and cash, but can anyone forsee a problem with this scenario?
Book a refundable flight in Y, cancel it once you make it to the lounge. This way you don't loose your cash and your Avios. Don't overdo it though, there was a guy in Singapore if I remember correctly, who did this every single day until he got arrested.

Last edited by skyscanner; Apr 7, 17 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:22 pm

Programs: RJ Emerald
Wow,some people are so desperate...
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skyscanner View Post
Book a refundable flight in Y, cancel it once you make it to the lounge. This way you don't use your cash and your Avios. Don't overdo it though, there was a guy in Singapore if I remember correctly, who did this every single day until he got arrested.
Lol! I'm happy to contribute a few thousand Avios and a few quid to the BA coffers if it doesn't arouse any suspicion. This will be a one-off as I booked my longhaul long before I had BAEC status.
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
Thank you for your meaningful contribution
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:28 pm
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Yes, it's terribly bad form at best, and also fraudulent - we've had a very similar thread in the last couple of days, and the question does crop up from time to time. I'll repeat the FT rule that means it's not something that should be encouraged here.

Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal Or Fraudulent Posting
Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
/mod
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:34 pm

He's a VIP businessman, his schedule can change dramatically on a very short notice, that's why he paid for the Y fare in the first place, to have flexibility How is this deceptive/fraudulent?
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
Thank you for your meaningful contribution
But a fair observation nonetheless.

Are the other lounges so bad that you need to pursue such an approach?
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:36 pm

... for a shower and a shave after a long haul, wouldn't you be, Rami?
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
He's a VIP businessman, his schedule can change dramatically on a very short notice, that's why he paid for the Y fare in the first place, to have flexibility How is this deceptive/fraudulent?
The pre-meditated element of this thread, kind of answers the question!

It's not something that should be encouraged.

M
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Available at a fee of 36 if one pays for access to the no 1 lounge

https://no1lounges.com/service/airpo...FZCdGwodrecL1w
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:44 pm

Programs: RJ Emerald
I do value lounge access, especially in these circumstances you describe above (needing to refresh after a long haul), but I would just pay 36 for access to a paid lounge, rather than performing half legal activities, trouble myself and the staff around me.
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
The pre-meditated element of this thread, kind of answers the question!

It's not something that should be encouraged.

M
It is just a hypothetical question right now, the man needs to be prepared for every scenario. Besides, how would the airline prove that it was premeditated? Do they go after each flexible fare that gets cancelled at the very last minute?If they pose an issue, why offer them in the first place?
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:48 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Don't overdo it though, there was a guy in Singapore if I remember correctly, who did this every single day until he got arrested.
Haven't heard about that but it is a frequent occurence in mainland China.

There were also the Germans who "defrauded" Lufty out of first class lounge access I think 30 times and were later billed for each entry.

I've heard that BA is billed US$80 for their F and OWE pax who enter the CX First Class lounges in HKG. (Hence the check-in agents only mention the QF lounge, which to be fair is right next to the gates that are always used for the BA flights, while the CX lounges are some distance away).

I wonder how much CX charges BA for each entry to the LHR lounge. All my entries to the CX LHR lounge so far have been on RFS redemptions of 4000-6500 avios + 17.50, which is probably just about equivalent to US$80...
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:52 pm

I do value lounge access, especially in these circumstances you describe above (needing to refresh after a long haul), but I would just pay 36 for access to a paid lounge, rather than performing half legal activities, trouble myself and the staff around me.
CX is by far the best lounge around, why would he miss out on that? Not far long ago, BA used to grant lounge access to its Golds even when they were not flying OW flights. More so, as an Elite flyer, he already generates enough income for the company and its staff, so they will not be "bothered" at all. The airline gets back its seat before the flight and if the flight is overbooked, there is no actual loss. If the flight is not overbooked, then there is no loss either. Last, there is no such thing as "half legal". What he proposes to do is legal. It would only become an issue if he abused it like the guy in Singapore, that I can agree with.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: