Wiki Posts
Search

BA 241 London Tokyo advice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
BA 241 London Tokyo advice?

Hi all, I’ve got a bit of a random question but would like to get your opinions! I’m trying to book London-Tokyo (10 days in Japan) for end of March next year using my 241 voucher. There’s no availability for the exact date, a Saturday, but there is for the previous Wednesday. The return leg will need to be added next week as they become available.

Would you book for the Wednesday (we are not very flexible as my g/f has Uni that week) and keep checking during the coming months to see if Sat/Sunday become available, or does this rarely happen? Or would you maybe book the outbound to Shanghai, spend a day there and then return from Tokyo. I know it is up to personal preference but maybe you’ve been through something similar? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
What date are you trying to book for and in which class? BA only releases seats 355 days before so it's possible they haven't released them yet for your dates
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I wouldn't count on using a 2-4-1 if you're inflexible with dates. If it comes up then that's a bonus but it hasn't and now you're in the lap of the gods. Flexibility if the key to using companion vouchers.

You could also look at Beijing, there's often great availability and it's about 3 hours flight time to Tokyo.

Edit to agree with Eskimoboy, it's not a year but 355 days out that the flights are released.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by santihead
Hi all, I’ve got a bit of a random question but would like to get your opinions! I’m trying to book London-Tokyo (10 days in Japan) for end of March next year using my 241 voucher. There’s no availability for the exact date, a Saturday, but there is for the previous Wednesday. The return leg will need to be added next week as they become available.

Would you book for the Wednesday (we are not very flexible as my g/f has Uni that week) and keep checking during the coming months to see if Sat/Sunday become available, or does this rarely happen? Or would you maybe book the outbound to Shanghai, spend a day there and then return from Tokyo. I know it is up to personal preference but maybe you’ve been through something similar? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!!!
I think PEK, PVG or ICN are destinations close enough to Tokyo that you can get to with 2-4-1.

ICN would be 787-8 (no F), PVG would be 777 or 787-9 and PEK would be 777. J is wide open for all 3, while F availability is really good for PEK as well. I would probably go for F to PEK, and book PEK-HND with avios.

I sometimes see TYO availability opens up, but if you want assurance, just have a day or two exploring before continuing on to Tokyo.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
355 days from today is 28/03/2018 (a wednesday). You may wish to wait a couple more days if you're trying to book for the 31st March.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BA EC
transit in HK is also a good choice
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:54 am

If the date you want has been released then I suspect it was snapped up on the day of release. End of March is peak tourist season in Japan due to cherry blossom (as well as coinciding with school holidays next year) and Tokyo flights rarely appear at good prices in BA sales so it would be a popular (& high value) redemption. I'd lock in an outbound to China & be planning on staying up late ready to call an appropriate call centre bang on midnight the day of release for your return.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
What date are you trying to book for and in which class? BA only releases seats 355 days before so it's possible they haven't released them yet for your dates
Business class, trying to fly out on Saturday, March 24th, definitely out, just not available apparently.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I wouldn't count on using a 2-4-1 if you're inflexible with dates. If it comes up then that's a bonus but it hasn't and now you're in the lap of the gods. Flexibility if the key to using companion vouchers.

You could also look at Beijing, there's often great availability and it's about 3 hours flight time to Tokyo.

Edit to agree with Eskimoboy, it's not a year but 355 days out that the flights are released.
Thanks. Looking at March 24th, so it seems i missed the opportunity for t355 a few days ago!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mda03jb
If the date you want has been released then I suspect it was snapped up on the day of release. End of March is peak tourist season in Japan due to cherry blossom (as well as coinciding with school holidays next year) and Tokyo flights rarely appear at good prices in BA sales so it would be a popular (& high value) redemption. I'd lock in an outbound to China & be planning on staying up late ready to call an appropriate call centre bang on midnight the day of release for your return.
Yeah i think that is exactly what happened, missed it by a few days. Just not sure if it is worth booking for the previous Wednesday and hope the weekend flights open up or to book directly via China/S Korea.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:25 am

I tried to use a 2-4-1 on the Tokyo route but it became a nightmare. I ended up doing London-Seoul return and getting a cheap flight over to Osaka after a few days.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by santihead
Yeah i think that is exactly what happened, missed it by a few days. Just not sure if it is worth booking for the previous Wednesday and hope the weekend flights open up or to book directly via China/S Korea.
I'd book directly via China or South Korea. You can use your miles on JAL flights from Seoul to Tokyo (and on Cathay if they fly China to Japan). You can't rely on flights to Tokyo opening up - if the Wednesday is a problem then book to South Korea/China and keep an eye out in case availability to Tokyo opens up...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
I'd book directly via China or South Korea. You can use your miles on JAL flights from Seoul to Tokyo (and on Cathay if they fly China to Japan). You can't rely on flights to Tokyo opening up - if the Wednesday is a problem then book to South Korea/China and keep an eye out in case availability to Tokyo opens up...
I think there is only 1 flight a day on JL from ICN, all other flights are from GMP, which requires additional ground transfer. ICN to GMP ground transport is quite good though.

I'll stick with JL for the flight from China to Japan, as booking CX via HKG will cost quite a lot of Avios though
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I ended up doing an Open Jaw outbound to NRT and back from HKG - pre GGL days!

Did HND-HKG on Avios in CX F - great value redemption!!!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by nkvuong
I think there is only 1 flight a day on JL from ICN, all other flights are from GMP, which requires additional ground transfer. ICN to GMP ground transport is quite good though.

I'll stick with JL for the flight from China to Japan, as booking CX via HKG will cost quite a lot of Avios though
Yeah for my imminent 241 from London to Japan I was originally only able to get flights back to London from Seoul so booked a redemption with JAL to GMP, ended up getting availability in F from NRT but it looked a pretty smooth route and GMP wasn't too bad an option, a nights stay in a hotel was going to be necessary but nothing too onerous :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.