Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

child fare outbound, turns 12... on inbound

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton

should I buy adult fare? I researched a while, only comes out united or infant questions.

My child is 11 now (outbound), but will turn 12 when we are flying back. I got mix answer from AA agents. BA US Gold line was closed. I guess expert here usually have a more accurate answer. Pls advise.

Thank You.

I am choosing between AA or BA. Are they the same rule?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinum
I was in a similar predicament a couple years back and book a child's fare without issue flying BA.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
At 12-15 there's no Air Passenger Duty to pay in economy class, so that's something.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...passenger-duty

Worth phoning BA. The APD would be refundable for an adult ticket, if purchased, but over the phone they should get it all correct.

Ask to waive the phone-based booking fee, too, as what you want to do isn't possible online.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From the BA site, for BA travel, https://www.britishairways.com/trave...hy_young_adult

Originally Posted by BA
Passengers

Please specify the number of passengers based on their ages at the start of the journey. Please note:

•Young adults (12-15-year olds) – these bookings must include an adult when booking online. Young adults can travel alone but these flights can only be booked over the phone. Please call us to discuss your requirements.

•Children (under 12) – cannot travel alone and these bookings must include an adult.

•Infants (under 2) – these bookings must include one adult for every infant when booking online. This is because infants are seated on an adult’s lap instead of getting their own seat. To book a separate seat for an infant, please call us.
So for BA, book an 11 year old as a child , even though he or she will turn 12 during the travel

If booking on another airline, such as AA, then need to check with that airline for what its policy is

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Worth phoning BA. The APD would be refundable for an adult ticket, if purchased, but over the phone they should get it all correct.

Not needed for the OP in this case, but If booking for a 12-15 year old, the BA site caters for APD in regards to those 12-15 - select "Young adults" rather than "Adults"

There is no need to telephone
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Reminder though that APD still applies to <16 year olds when flying in anything other than economy.

Nor would it apply anyway if the 'inbound' is a return to the UK.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank very much, that's very helpful! I am buying Business for my child (hope it should yield the same answer).
I phoned AA, they gave me a totally different answer, they said I need to buy adult fare. However, I haven't had a chance to speak with BA agent, since whenever I am available to call them, it's after their office hour!
I am Gold, so phone fee shouldn't apply.
I am more concern with my experience with AA, they force me to change to child fare when I purchased an adult fare (international itinerary, domestic doesn't matter) for my child for one instance, they forced me to refund the fare difference and reissue the ticket, although they gave me one time exception for not charging a change fee. I will try to phone BA again.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Thank very much, that's very helpful! I am buying Business for my child (hope it should yield the same answer).
I phoned AA, they gave me a totally different answer, they said I need to buy adult fare. However, I haven't had a chance to speak with BA agent, since whenever I am available to call them, it's after their office hour!
I am Gold, so phone fee shouldn't apply.
I am more concern with my experience with AA, they force me to change to child fare when I purchased an adult fare (international itinerary, domestic doesn't matter) for my child for one instance, they forced me to refund the fare difference and reissue the ticket, although they gave me one time exception for not charging a change fee. I will try to phone BA again.

Thanks!
I don't see that there is a need to call. BA clearly publishes its policy on its website

On the front page when making a booking, there are 4 dropdown menus for number of Adults, Young Adults, Children and infants
To the left of this is an exclamation mark inside a blue circle
Click on the blue circle and a pop up window will be launched and you will find the policy as stated in post 4

What AA states that its policy is , doesn't impact on what BA's policy is
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Surely the easiest thing to do is a dummy booking in BA (I just did this) putting in your child's date of birth. In this scenario it priced as a child despite the child turning 12 during the trip.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see that there is a need to call. BA clearly publishes its policy on its website

On the front page when making a booking, there are 4 dropdown menus for number of Adults, Young Adults, Children and infants
To the left of this is an exclamation mark inside a blue circle
Click on the blue circle and a pop up window will be launched and you will find the policy as stated in post 4

What AA states that its policy is , doesn't impact on what BA's policy is
YES!! you are absolutely right, I totally overlooked it. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.