Newbie question about BA/AA flights

Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Hilton gold, BA
Newbie question about BA/AA flights

hi BA people,

I need some advice! I have just booked a multi route flight with AA (LHR-LAX-HNL-LAX-PHL-YUW-LHR) all AA flights. I gave the travel agent my AA frequent flyer number but then wondered if I gave them my BA frequent flyer details would i get the credit?

I rarely use AA and hardly ever head to the USA - so BA would be more valuable to me. Does anyone know if I could get BA credit for these flights?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If you rarely use AA, and have no need for status with them (and the benefits that certain levels hold over the relevant BA tier), then I would suggest crediting to BA.

M
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks MSN - so i will get credit with BA even tho I booked AA flights?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by finallyhitgold
Thanks MSN - so i will get credit with BA even tho I booked AA flights?
You will indeed.

The BA Avios Calculator (link below), allows you to enter your airline (AA), and routing to see how many Avios and TierPoints you'll earn. When using it, note that you will need to enter each sector individually.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

M
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
You will indeed.

The BA Avios Calculator (link below), allows you to enter your airline (AA), and routing to see how many Avios and TierPoints you'll earn. When using it, note that you will need to enter each sector individually.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

M
Not if he gave the travel agent his AAdvantage number, which he said he did.

The OP needs to remove his AA number from his reservation record, and substitute his BAEC number.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

The OP needs to remove his AA number from his reservation record, and substitute his BAEC number.
Apologies - I understood the OP was enquiring whether they would earn on BAEC, irrespective of whether an AAdvantage number or BAEC was entered.

Of course the OP will need to remove their AAdvantage card number - but they did allude to that in their first post.

M
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Would need to be done by the TA or change yourself. Others have reported using AY or QR manage my booking works.

If you AA ff miles & BA avios be careful on expiry. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html

One AA/BA flight with the AA ff number in the reservation will keep your AA account alive for another 18 months. If you have AA ff miles and do not plan to credit to the AA ffp in the future better to use the AA miles before they expire.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I fly more AA than BA these days, but still credit everything to BAEC ... whether I book with BA, AA or an OTA.

I suspect my 1,000 AA miles (sign-up bonus, IIRC) will quietly expire without me caring!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Would need to be done by the TA or change yourself. Others have reported using AY or QR manage my booking works.
Booking direct with AA means that AY or QR won't recognise a Sabre AA record locator. TA would have to make the change.

AA FF numbers can be very "sticky" IME
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all very much for your help! Really appreciate it. I have talked with Travel agent and asked them to update my booking with my BA number. As all the flights are either business or first - bring on the AVIOS!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.