Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bring the card used to pay for the booking to the airport?

Old Apr 4, 17, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi All
(Long time lurker - first time poster)

A quick question that I've often wondered about and doesn't seem to be answered anywhere else that I could easily find:

The e-ticket receipt email from BA always includes the warning "If the payment cardholder is travelling, you must bring the card used to pay for this booking to the airport with you, for verification, before you can travel."

I have been travelling BA several times a year for many years and have never been asked to show a payment card at the airport.

Has anyone else? What is the point of this warning? What happens if they ask for a card and I don't have it - will I be denied boarding? What if I have used 2 or 3 different cards to pay a deposit (on BA Holidays bookings) and then the balance? (cards expire, occasionally go missing, or may just be left at home)

Just curious...

Many thanks for any insight.
Old Apr 4, 17, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver - AZ Freccia Alata - LH - O6 Gold
I've read that disclaimer many times, but have never been questioned about it at the airport. I've heard sometimes (from other airlines) they may reverse the charge on the original card and charge you on a card you provide at the airport?

My friend was once asked by CX to provide the original payment card (and didn't have it), however in the end I think nothing happened and he was allowed to board.
Old Apr 4, 17, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Fruitcage, welcome to the party It's great to have you on board (so to speak). Hopefully this will be the first of many postings!

I have only been asked for my credit card once, and that was in connection with an OpUp. I had the magic beep at the gate at LHR when flying to the US and was told that my seat had been changed / that I was now in Club World. However, the gate agent needed to scan my credit card before she could issue the new BP.

Apart from that one occasion I have never been asked.

Last edited by Geordie405; Apr 4, 17 at 10:59 am Reason: Welcome to a new poster!
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
The e-ticket receipt email from BA always includes the warning "If the payment cardholder is travelling, you must bring the card used to pay for this booking to the airport with you, for verification, before you can travel."
It's a tie-breaker in the event two passengers show up claiming the ticket.

I can imagine, offhand, two scenarios where that could happen.

1. Father and son have the same name. One shows up earlier, collects the boarding pass, then later the guy who actually paid for his own ticket shows up and finds out his bp has already been collected.

2. Similar situation, but with a fake ID. Crook knows that Joe Blow will be flying tomorrow, so gets a fake ID with Joe's name. Shows up way early, collects the bp.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:12 am
Original Poster

QoC's explanation makes sense. There must also be lots of cases with common names where two (or more) people with the same first and last name are booked on the same flight - even not related.
Many thanks.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I believe it is occasionally asked for for flights originating in some slightly dodgier countries (or vice versa).

I have been asked for it twice, once by an OLCI machine somewhere, and another time at the gate. Both were locations known to be slightly dodgier in terms of credit card fraud, but they were also both before I started crediting my flights to BAEC. It wasn't an issue since I had the card with me anyway.

I cannot recall being asked for it since I started crediting my flights to BA but it coincided with the time when I started consistently using the same card for BA bookings too, so the BAEC thing may well be a coincidence.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 4, 17 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have been asked once for the credit card I booked with at CPH on the first leg of an EX-EU. Not sure why I was asked but I had the card with me so no issues.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:22 am

I have twice been asked to produce the card I used to make the booking. I said I no longer had them then got sent to the ticketing desk where a supervisor had to confirm a few things and sent me on my way.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
QoC's explanation makes sense. There must also be lots of cases with common names where two (or more) people with the same first and last name are booked on the same flight - even not related.
Many thanks.
Sure, with hundreds of thousands of passengers flying every day, there's bound to be flights with two unrelated people with the same name on one flight.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I've been asked before in T5 before a flight to China.

I did not have the card with me, and the check-in agent said I needed to go to the ticketing desk. The person at the ticketing desk asked to see my passport (maybe unrelated and just wanted to see the Visa), then typed what must have been at least a thousand words into the computer and I was good to go!
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:27 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
I thought they would mainly do it for fraud purposes.
As i frequently book tickets for other family members using my card I just put no cardholder is not travelling and they just ask for an email address other than the person travelling so the 'payer' is aware that they are paying for someone elses's card!
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:28 am

Weird stuff happens. Back in 1990, MrQ and I were flying home from Paris on an award ticket. They asked whose miles were used. Mine. What was the relationship between me and my companion. Married couple.

Then they asked to see my Aadvantage membership card. (First and only time in my life.)

I showed it to them. (Now I always carry my membership card in my travel wallet.)

Finally, they asked how we could be married with two different last names. We pulled out our drivers licenses and showed them we live at the same address.

That satisfied them, and we went back to get our BPs.

Yes, it was bizarre, but it really happened to me.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Every now and then, if checking in baggage, I have been asked to present the credit card used to make the booking. In those cases where I have been asked, it has always been at LHR and not at an outstation. I would re-iterate it is very rare to be asked; but as I always carry the relevant card with me it is not an issue. Doc Copper
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:41 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I was asked to show the card for a ticket I purchase from LHR-SIN on BA at check in, most of the time i avoid and check in online, but it would not let me.

The agent asked for the card and I informed him it was cancelled about 7 months ago due to fraud, which it was.

We had to negotiate for about 20 minutes and show every form of ID we had in order for them to check us in. Thankfully in the end they let us.

Lesson learned. I now keep every card for at least a year when cancelled/fraud just in case.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze; IHG Spire Amb
I have. I am forever losing, cancelling or replacing credit cards so I had absolutely no idea what card I had used to book the tickets. I explained that I had almost certainly cancelled the card since then (it was a 241 ticket to SYD, so probably booked 12 months in advance). It took the check-in agent about 45 mins to finally check me in, despite the fact that she had not seen the card. So I really don't know what the point is - they let you check in even without it anyway. Although I am pretty sure I remember someone saying that they had been refused boarding for an Iberia flight for exactly this reason.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: