Schedule change

Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Schedule change

Hi there, avid fan of the site but don't really post much.Would be grateful for advice regarding flights I have booked for July.
I booked via Expedia (I usually book direct with BA but got a great price with Expedia...) I'm flying to GLA-LHR-PHX then the return is PHX-DFW-LHR-GLA in WTP/CE. On the return I had an hour and 45 mins to transfer at DFW but I've just received an email that the PHX-DFW leaves later reducing the time to an hour 20. I'm well aware of how long you can be waiting to disembark aircraft and was already a bit nervous with original transfer time, now I'm a bit more concerned!
I've never transferred at DFW before could someone advise if this time is doable? The booking is all with BA but this flight is AA metal. Should I phone Expedia and ask to be transferred to an earlier flight from PHX? There are other am flights but I'm wondering if they will ask me to pay a fee for changing?
Would it be worth phoning BA to see if they will change it as the schedule change originally came from them/AA? Any advice appreciated, thanks
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by thistlegirl99
Hi there, avid fan of the site but don't really post much.Would be grateful for advice regarding flights I have booked for July.
I booked via Expedia (I usually book direct with BA but got a great price with Expedia...&#128512 I'm flying to GLA-LHR-PHX then the return is PHX-DFW-LHR-GLA in WTP/CE. On the return I had an hour and 45 mins to transfer at DFW but I've just received an email that the PHX-DFW leaves later reducing the time to an hour 20. I'm well aware of how long you can be waiting to disembark aircraft and was already a bit nervous with original transfer time, now I'm a bit more concerned!
I've never transferred at DFW before could someone advise if this time is doable? The booking is all with BA but this flight is AA metal. Should I phone Expedia and ask to be transferred to an earlier flight from PHX? There are other am flights but I'm wondering if they will ask me to pay a fee for changing?
Would it be worth phoning BA to see if they will change it as the schedule change originally came from them/AA? Any advice appreciated, thanks
1hr 20mins at DFW should be OK. It is a large airport but there is a train service between terminals. Secure a seat as near the front as you can and check the airport map so you know where you're going would be my advice.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You would need to make any changes through Expedia, BA can't help. It's unlikely Expedia will allow a change for free as the change is still within the minimum connection time for DFW.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Try and find out which gates you will be arriving to and leaving from at DFW. They should be up on aa.com or on the AA app well before the flights and will help you know where you are going. DFW is quite large so distances can sometimes be significant, but as noted there is an airside train which will help if you are moving between terminals.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would be fairly comfortable with a 1h20 connection at pretty much any US airport, particularly one where re-clearing security isn't required.

If you are concerned then formulating a re-routing plan to give to the AA agents if you encounter a problem is a good back-up. If you're in domestic F, followed by TATL J or F, then on a short notice routing change you might find you need to accept a downgrade to Y on the domestic leg to route through another US airport - ORD & PHL are decent alternatives, but there are others. AA might well also be persuaded to book you on a direct PHX-LHR service which leaves later - resolving on the day IrrOps is something they're much better at than BA, most definitely in the lounges where they can be incredibly resourceful and helpful.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by thistlegirl99
I booked via Expedia (I usually book direct with BA but got a great price with Expedia...) I'm flying to GLA-LHR-PHX then the return is PHX-DFW-LHR-GLA in WTP/CE. On the return I had an hour and 45 mins to transfer at DFW but I've just received an email that the PHX-DFW leaves later reducing the time to an hour 20. I'm well aware of how long you can be waiting to disembark aircraft and was already a bit nervous with original transfer time, now I'm a bit more concerned!
DFW is my home airport so I fly to and thru there a lot. 1 hr and 20 minutes should be adequate for a connection. All of the AA flights from PHX to DFW currently arrive in the high gates at terminal C. Your flight to London (whether on AA or BA) will depart out of terminal D. This is no more than a 10 minute tram ride on the Skylink. As long as your PHX flight is close to on time and your gate is open when you arrive, you should be fine. I've regularly made successful multi-terminal connections with less than 60 minute layovers.

If for some reason you make it to DFW and don't make your connection, there are 2 more AA flights to Heathrow you can catch that depart after your BA flight. I also had 2 friends flying Phoenix to Austin to LHR this last December on AA then BA. Their Phoenix to Austin flight ended up being severely delayed. They would've missed their BA connection in Austin so AA put them on the nonstop BA from Phoenix. If for some unfortunate reason you have a delay, AA/BA should still be able to get you to London one way or another that evening.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

I appreciate all replies and advice given, I feel much more confident about making the transfer now. Thanks again
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are well above MCT. If this were offered as the original connection, I would unhesitatingly book it unless I could not move at a normal pace.

Unlike the UK, there are no formalities of any kind between gates. You simply step off aircraft #1 and follow the route to aircraft #2 . No additional checkpoints, Flight Connections or the like.

It is close to impossible to predict specific gates at DFW as those are constantly changed, but, even if you are the last person off your inbound and are at the most remote AA international departure gate capable of handling your aircraft, you will be at that gate in 20 minutes. The SkyLink Tram operates outside (on the sterile side) of security.

If there are delays, the difference between 1:20 and 1:45 is not so great that it will make a significant difference and DFW is centrally located with multiple options on BA/AA back to the UK.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Brilliant thanks! I thought we needed to clear security again, once again this site has given me invaluable information, thanks again
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Just another point of view since you are flying out of PHX in July, What is the departure time of the flight. If it is after 11am and before 8pm please watch the weather for Temperature or other delays.
Depending on the size of the plane for the PHX-DFW trip weight and balance can be an issue.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InsUW2
Just another point of view since you are flying out of PHX in July, What is the departure time of the flight. If it is after 11am and before 8pm please watch the weather for Temperature or other delays.
Depending on the size of the plane for the PHX-DFW trip weight and balance can be an issue.
oh I've never really considered this before, we fly to PHX every year, always the BA flight which lands about 5pm and departs just before 8pm. This is the first time we have left on a domestic connection, it leaves at 1220 so I'll keep an eye on the temps!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
At DFW, it's almost always best to take the train if in a hurry. It is big enough that trying to walk or run between terminals is slower, even if they are all connected on foot.

The aircraft currently showing as operating the PHX-DFW in July are all mainline: A320 class or 737-800. I think these are not usually subject to weight restrictions even when it is hot on such a short flight. So unless AA change the route to American Eagle operators (which is not likely between now and then), you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.