Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE domestic, effect of marginal TP changes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

Last year I did around 30 EDI-LON returns, all booked reasonably well in advance and so earning in total around 350TPs for a gross cost of c.£4.5k, and contributing 10% of my TP total. This year, for an increase in gross expenditure of around £3k, I will be able to guarantee a free middle seat (which although was very common in the immediate aftermath of the introduction of FLY, now seems less so by virtue of an increased proportion of completely full flights), regain the free food and drink (which previously did not cost any extra) and will earn an additional 2,100TPs. Due to the way that my flights are paid for the personal increase in net cost of choosing to fly domestic CE will be relatively small. Sadly, I will not be able to change the disappointingly regular habit of the last LHR-EDI flight of the day arriving at a bus gate.

The additional GUFs/jokers/partner cards etc. that will come with GGL/CCR status are likely to make this overall quite a positive change for me, although 'tipping-points' are obviously variable by all of our own flying habits. I just found this interesting and I wonder if there are any other domestic commuters who will feel similarly (perhaps some tipping silver to gold etc.).

Otherwise, I do hope everyone is well. Vive La Flyertalk. etc.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by crazy8534
... Due to the way that my flights are paid for the personal increase in net cost of choosing to fly domestic CE will be relatively small. Sadly, I will not be able to change the disappointingly regular habit of the last LHR-EDI flight of the day arriving at a bus gate.

The additional GUFs/jokers/partner cards etc. that will come with GGL/CCR status are likely to make this overall quite a positive change for me ...
What is the overall cost of the change, though, rather than just the personal cost to you? If my mental arithmetic is correct, you must have been usually flying on QOG fares last year. Isn't the cost increase to the lowest CE domestic fare likely to be quite a change, even if someone else is paying for it? And isn't that where your additional benefits are coming from?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What is the overall cost of the change, though, rather than just the personal cost to you? If my mental arithmetic is correct, you must have been usually flying on QOG fares last year. Isn't the cost increase to the lowest CE domestic fare likely to be quite a change, even if someone else is paying for it? And isn't that where your additional benefits are coming from?
Yes, I agree.

I pay for it but I don't pay tax on it. So the net cost to my pocket will be something in the order of £1.5k. Overall I think that works due to the fact that it will tip me into GGL, but I appreciate the calculation isn't the same for everyone.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting calculation - can see how the fact you can reclaim tax makes it more attractive. We are GLA-LON commuters but no tax rebate & hit Gold mainly via TPs from J leisure travel. For us the short duration of the flight - plus lounge food/drink GLA end - means we wouldn't value the small increase in TPs as the opportunity cost would be less long haul J. We'd be very unlikely to ever hit GGL either way without some major TP running!

Main loss for us is no longer having front row seats into LCY but even then legroom is perfectly OK for a very short hop. Glad it works for you though OP ^
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Great thought provoking post! Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.