FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1833135-ft-ba-flight-simulator-outing-heathrow-uk-20-27-october-2017-a.html)

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 3:41 am

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

I want to float the idea of a FT outing to a simulator some time later this year. This will be a repeat of the outings I have previously organised in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

A bit of background on my own experience so far. I am very enthusiastic/geeky about flying, and I know a few others on here enjoy what happens in the cockpit as well as just being sat in the back enjoying the champagne. I have one hour in a Cessna 172 which I did in 2013, and which you can read about here, and since then a few hours in various PA28 aircraft. I do plan to go for a PPL at some stage, but money and time needed mean it won’t be for at least a year or two yet.

I have also been for a couple of Emirates sim sessions at their Aviation Experience near the O2 arena in London. This is very much at the more fun end of simulators. The only things that work on the cockpit are the throttle (inc. reversers), yoke/side stick, rudders, foot brakes, and gear. The primary and navigation displays work but you can't adjust anything on them. They have recently upgraded them so the speedbrake lever and a flaps lever work as well. All the buttons shown are just graphics, there are no working buttons. So basically it does feel like a very sophisticated home simulator, kind of FSX but sat in a simplified cockpit. It is not equivalent to a full simulator, and there is no motion. However, if you accept these limitations it is actually very enjoyable.

I also went to Virtual Aerospace near Northampton in February 2014 on their 737 simulator. This is basically a fully workable fixed base cockpit with fsx graphics projected in front. More absorbing and real than the Emirates experience, but still not a full motion or fully wrap-around graphics. I have also previously gone to the 737 iPILOT simulator in London.

Finally over the last two years I have been going fairly regularly to a fixed base 737-800 simulator near Rochdale. The simulator is this one Flightdeck Experience. As well as the cockpit the guy who owns it has built a cabin as well with 12 seats. You can see photos on the website. You actually get a simulated view from the windows as well. It makes it good for group outings and you can sit in the cabin for the time you are not flying in the cockpit.

I realise we have a wide spectrum of experience on these things, but hopefully it would work. You should certainly not feel you need any experience to come, and in previous years people with no experience have come and enjoyed it.

Please only express an interest if you can make at least one of the dates and are prepared to meet your share of the cost. I realise this is not a cheap activity, but having done it three times now I can say that it is very much worth it.

Rather than doing this as a poll, please just post any date preferences in the thread. I expect we will settle on a specific date in the next month or so, and I hope we have finalised plans by early May.

• Please say whether you can make 20 October or 27 October or both (don’t worry you are not committing to both dates).
  • Also please let me know whether you have a preference for a 777 or a 747 or don’t mind either.

Thanks

navylad Mar 31, 2017 3:49 am

Thanks KARFA for once again looking to arrange this. I have had a simulation session on the 320 sim in Coventry, which was really good with it being an actual cockpit but no motion. I've flown a little bit through work and had a couple of opportunities where pilot instructors have allowed me to take the controls of a couple of helicopters.

Would be great if you could give an indicative cost. Sadly, I can't commit to either date as with work I get 6 monthly rotas, and won't get the Rota from August 17-Feb 18 until probably around July and thus missing you May deadline, but hope everyone who goes has a great time, I would urge anyone interested to go for the experience.

bhbloke Mar 31, 2017 3:52 am

I'd be interested in this, I did book a session a few years back (they were doing a special offer at the old LCY Air Day) but BA cancelled my session for operational reasons, I then forgot about it and the voucher expired! (my bad)

I am a 400+ hour PPL with a few ratings, but would love a go at some jet stuff.

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 3:53 am

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 28110195)
Would be great if you could give an indicative cost.

Thanks navylad. The cost details are in the wiki which has now been added. Basically cost is £1700 per simulator for the 4 hours, and this is shared equally between everyone in that sim - so for a group of 4 that would be £425 each.

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 4:11 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 28110201)
I'd be interested in this, I did book a session a few years back (they were doing a special offer at the old LCY Air Day) but BA cancelled my session for operational reasons, I then forgot about it and the voucher expired! (my bad)

I am a 400+ hour PPL with a few ratings, but would love a go at some jet stuff.

Hi bhbloke. Sounds like you would be a natural! Yes if you want to go for it just let me know date availability and any particular preference 747/777. I would recommend the 747, and there are more 747s available anyway so we are more likely to get them.

bhbloke Mar 31, 2017 4:15 am

Hi Karfa, I'm flexible on a/c type and both dates are currently wide open so happy to go with the concensus.

Us piston pilots apparently struggle with jet engines, so you should find it easier than me!

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 4:29 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 28110251)
Hi Karfa, I'm flexible on a/c type and both dates are currently wide open so happy to go with the concensus.

Us piston pilots apparently struggle with jet engines, so you should find it easier than me!

Thanks. Have added you as available for either date.

BoeBus Mar 31, 2017 6:15 am

After you organised such an excellent outing last time, sign me up please. I'm checking whether 2 others would like to sign up.

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus (Post 28110509)
After you organised such an excellent outing last time, sign me up please. I'm checking whether 2 others would like to sign up.

Thanks BoeBus, I have added you.

fransknorge Mar 31, 2017 7:09 am

This was great last year and would happily do it again, considering also the perfect organisation. I am in Greece the weekend of the 20th so available for the 27th only.

csutter Mar 31, 2017 9:50 am

I can vouch for KARFA's outstanding organisational skills - and the BA simulator experience is equally excellent.

Sadly I'm leaving the UK this summer, and probably won't have the time to fly over in October, so will miss out on this year's edition :(

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks fransknorge, have added you for 27th.

Sorry you can't make it csutter, and thanks for the comments.

Kungpo Mar 31, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm in - either date is ok with me. 777 this time :-)

Pilot37 Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm

27th for me on the B744 pls!

KARFA Mar 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks, added you Kungpo and Pilot37.