Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777. One of the 747 simulators is actually going this year so you may want to try them before they all go. No one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should) try.

Previous Trip Reports for the Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

Attendees and Groups
See post 127 for the group lists - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28614931-post127.html

Standby list -

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015 and 2016 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Flights

BA835 DUB-LHR (ETA: 1425) EI147, datschi
BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA,
BA753 BSL-LHR (ETA: 1240) florens

BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA, S_W_S

Hotels

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: florens, KARFA, flatlander
Sheraton Heathrow: headinclouds

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: KARFA, S_W_S

Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
My flight in will be in to LGW on the 26th because I decided why pay for one trip when I can have two for twice the price! Or in reality, since DUB is so ridiculously cheap to fly out of, two for the price of one. I'll spend that night somewhere in the general London area, take the tube out to LHR and will spend the night of the 27th at the Sheraton Skyline LHR. Gotta use those platinum benefits after all!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:03 am

Bumping up this thread with a few lodging questions. I have a general idea of the Bath road hotel strip with not any major differences among them. I was considering the Premier Inn that mikeec suggested. I do have SPG/Marriott status which can be helpful for early check-in and late checkout. I'll be coming from DCA on AA arriving about 11 am on Thu. I'll need a day to adjust. My plan was to stay at the LHR Shearton at the other end of Bath Road. Would appreciate any comments from regular users of the LHR airport hotels. Thanks...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
423 from Hatton Cross to Harlington Corner and on Bath Road is probably the best - it's free and runs every 30 minutes after 11. Last one is about 0030 though. Other than that uber will be plentiful and probably £5.

Tube does run all night but will only take you to T123 and T5 or T4 which is not going to be of much use going to Bath Road.
Hi Karfa,

The Tube does run all night on Friday and Saturday, however it doesn't go to T4 (loop), only T2,T3 and T5.

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/im...-map-large.gif
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:36 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Who else lives in London and will just be taking the tube/uber like me
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi folks. I know I have sent out PMs for the passport details and I have nearly everyone now. Just waiting for the following people now:

@mikeec
@Premier Owl
@cl65amg

Could you PM your passport details in the next few days please? I appreciate some may prefer not to send details over the PMs here - happy to do it by email/text/whatsapp, just let me know and I can give you my contact details.

Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by linzbh
Who else lives in London and will just be taking the tube/uber like me
Doubt you'll be taking Uber, given today's news ...
bhbloke likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
How does it work for the payment? KARFA, you once said something about calling to do so. Which number should I call?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by florens
How does it work for the payment? KARFA, you once said something about calling to do so. Which number should I call?
In the absence of a reply from KARFA... a few weeks before the sim session, you will receive a message from KARFA with the details of whom to call at BA to make your payment.

In case anyone isn't aware, they accept AMEX and if you use your BA AMEX card it is treated as BA spend so you get extra Avios.
florens likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens
Originally Posted by 12939
In the absence of a reply from KARFA... a few weeks before the sim session, you will receive a message from KARFA with the details of whom to call at BA to make your payment.

In case anyone isn't aware, they accept AMEX and if you use your BA AMEX card it is treated as BA spend so you get extra Avios.
Thanks 12939 ^

Sorry I am catching up today and was just replying to some PMs asking the same question. I will be sending out the full instructions and information for the session by PM towards the end of the week. I will include details of how to pay as well - basically payment can be made anytime during the first two weeks in October.
florens, Soddon and Andrea3108 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all your passport details. I have them all now apart from @Premier Owl

PMs will be going out this weekend with full details including how to pay and instructions on the day.
florens, datschi and S_W_S like this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Thanks to everyone for all your passport details. I have them all now apart from @Premier Owl

PMs will be going out this weekend with full details including how to pay and instructions on the day.
Awesome. I'm already so excited!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikeec
We will have a car there so can most likely offer a lift back for a few people if anyone else is going back to that general area on 20th October. I'm in 747 Group 3.
Since I'm in your group I would appreciate a ride back to the Bath road hotel strip. I'll be staying at the Sheraton Heathrow at the far end of Bath Road, not the Skyline which is near the Premier Inn. Except for Soddon, am I the only one flying in from the USA?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond

Thanks KARFA , I'm looking forward to it.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Anyone managed to catch hold of Andy at BAFT and pay yet?

Just trying to work out a good time to call him as he seems to be away from his desk a lot these last few days.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Anyone managed to catch hold of Andy at BAFT and pay yet?

Just trying to work out a good time to call him as he seems to be away from his desk a lot these last few days.
I have been emailing Andy this week and he does send his apologies as he is sometimes difficult to track down and not always at his desk. You can always call and pay using the general number for BAFT - although I think Andy would like to say hello with all who are coming and have a chat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.