Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777. One of the 747 simulators is actually going this year so you may want to try them before they all go. No one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should) try.

Previous Trip Reports for the Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

Attendees and Groups
See post 127 for the group lists - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28614931-post127.html

Standby list -

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015 and 2016 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Flights

BA835 DUB-LHR (ETA: 1425) EI147, datschi
BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA,
BA753 BSL-LHR (ETA: 1240) florens

BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA, S_W_S

Hotels

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: florens, KARFA, flatlander
Sheraton Heathrow: headinclouds

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: KARFA, S_W_S

Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Correct. We got the possibility of using 4 sims for both nights so I am able to use 4 on one night to fit a few more in. I am just waiting for two people so there may be a minor change before this is confirmed (it's possible I may need top move someone from Group 1 or 2 on 27 October to 20 October). But regardless you are in now.
Brilliant! Thank you! Very excited :-)

If it helps I can do the 27th also. I'd prefer to do the 747 but happy to do 777. Also prefer to pay the money for four people rather than three.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Brilliant! Thank you! Very excited :-)

If it helps I can do the 27th also. I'd prefer to do the 747 but happy to do 777. Also prefer to pay the money for four people rather than three.

Thanks again.
No problem, and thanks for the flexibility. Don't worry, no one will be in a three group if they don't want to be.

Originally Posted by S_W_S
Thanks for organising this KARFA, I'll hold off booking anything for the time being.
Originally Posted by Andrea3108
Thanks very much for organising this @KARFA

I'm looking forward to it :-)
Thanks. I am looking forward to it also. As with most things I am 95% there with the groups, but the remaining 5% is proving to be the hardest bit. I want to get it all sorted this week.

On that point, it is possible one of my two unconfirmed people won't be able to come after all. Ideally I could do with a replacement rather than reorganise things. If anyone still wants to join, wants to bring someone else or knows someone who would like to do it could you let me know asap please.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:48 pm

No problem, and thanks for the flexibility. Don't worry, no one will be in a three group if they don't want to be.

Thanks. I am looking forward to it also. As with most things I am 95% there with the groups, but the remaining 5% is proving to be the hardest bit. I want to get it all sorted this week.

On that point, it is possible one of my two unconfirmed people won't be able to come after all. Ideally I could do with a replacement rather than reorganise things. If anyone still wants to join, wants to bring someone else or knows someone who would like to do it could you let me know asap please.

Im just checking with a mate of mine now ... can you confirm the timings?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Just confirmed one of my two remaining ones so I can firm things a little bit more now.

Originally Posted by headinclouds
That's very kind of you. I hope it works out, but if not, so be it. That weekend of the 27th is when the UK goes off summer time and the USA does not. Schedules are adjusted in odd ways for a few days during the switchover.
So you will be moved across to 20 October now and in Group 3 in the 747.

Im just checking with a mate of mine now ... can you confirm the timings?
Hi @GeorgeAmbler89. Timings on the evening? We have to be at Vanguard House by 6.20pm and that is a 10-15 minute walk from Hatton Cross tube station. Session is 7-11pm.

In terms of payment BA usually want it around 1-2 weeks before so it would be due I would say early October.

In terms of when I would need to know, asap please if possible. Basically the extra space is on 27 October so if your friend comes I would move you across to Group 2 on 27 October and you would be together, and I would move cl65amg in to Group 2 on 20 October (unless someone else on 27 October would prefer to be moved to 20 October?) which is where you currently are. If your friend can't make it you would stay where you are in Group 2 on 20 October.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:47 am

Just confirmed one of my two remaining ones so I can firm things a little bit more now.

So you will be moved across to 20 October now and in Group 3 in the 747.

Hi @GeorgeAmbler89. Timings on the evening? We have to be at Vanguard House by 6.20pm and that is a 10-15 minute walk from Hatton Cross tube station. Session is 7-11pm.

In terms of payment BA usually want it around 1-2 weeks before so it would be due I would say early October.

In terms of when I would need to know, asap please if possible. Basically the extra space is on 27 October so if your friend comes I would move you across to Group 2 on 27 October and you would be together, and I would move cl65amg in to Group 2 on 20 October (unless someone else on 27 October would prefer to be moved to 20 October?) which is where you currently are. If your friend can't make it you would stay where you are in Group 2 on 20 October.

Thanks for all those details. Unfortunately, my friend won't be able to make it.

Thank you

George
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all those details. Unfortunately, my friend won't be able to make it.

Thank you

George
No problem. Thanks for asking. In that case you will stay on 20 October.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I can confirm the groups now - feel free to book travel and hotels etc. as there won't be any further date changes for anyone.

20 October

747 (Group 1)
@KARFA
@12939
@flatlander

747 (Group 2)
@bhbloke
Neil B (K)
@GeorgeAmbler89
Malc

747 (Group 3)
@Andrea3108
@mikeec
@datschi
@headinclouds

777 (Group 4)
@Kungpo
@florens
@EI147
@linzbh

27 October

747 (Group 1)
@Pilot37
@Soddon
@S_W_S
@KARFA

747 (Group 2)
@memesweeper
memesweeper+1
@cl65amg
@dakaix

777 (Group 3)
@BoeBus
BoeBus+1
BoeBus+2
BoeBus+2

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 26, 2017 at 3:02 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Many thanks for arranging KARFA, looking forward to it!

Pilot37
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Thanks @KARFA!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Thanks @KARFA ^

Looking forward to it, been a while since I've been involved in a 747 crash
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:46 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm good with any allocation KARFA. I will be available any day and any aircraft and confirm my attendance guaranteed
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
Awesome Karfa! Thanks so much!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Great, thanks for sorting all of this out KARFA!

Looking like I might be on the mid afternoon LBA flight as well.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The 747 again, I'll have to work to make sure it's as smooth as last time

Thanks again for arranging it all, KARFA.

I will also be in the Hilton Garden Inn.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

Well, off to book some planes and rooms. Soddon mentioned some good ex-USA fares but I could not find them. I was planning an avios redemption, but not if there are some decent fares. How easy is late nite travel to Bath Road, where the SPG/Marriott hotels are located from the simulators? Last, but not least, thanks to KARFA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.