Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777. One of the 747 simulators is actually going this year so you may want to try them before they all go. No one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should) try.

Previous Trip Reports for the Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

Attendees and Groups
See post 127 for the group lists - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28614931-post127.html

Standby list -

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015 and 2016 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Flights

BA835 DUB-LHR (ETA: 1425) EI147, datschi
BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA,
BA753 BSL-LHR (ETA: 1240) florens

BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA, S_W_S

Hotels

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: florens, KARFA, flatlander
Sheraton Heathrow: headinclouds

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: KARFA, S_W_S

Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Me & my significant other could be interested, although neither of us have experience in an actual simulator, just Flight Simulator back in the days.

Would there be others on their first or second visit?

Matt
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Me & my significant other could be interested, although neither of us have experience in an actual simulator, just Flight Simulator back in the days.

Matt
It would be my first visit too. Have flightsim experience but not in an actual simulator!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
Count me in on the 20th - 777 please, but 747 is fine, too.
Added.

Originally Posted by MHendo84

Matt
I think there are certainly a few down who are on their second and possible a few on their first. I wouldn't let the fact it is your first time put you off at all. In previous years first timers have come and enjoyed it a lot.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:40 am

I went for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. It was interesting to fly in a simulator and I enjoyed the experience.

I am not really interested enough in the 'how to fly an aeroplane' bit of flying so would not go again but it is certainly worth a go. And of course I can now say with absolute sincerity that I have flown a jumbo in and out of Heathrow several times🐘✈️✈️
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Can I amend my reservation to Boebus+2 please? I'm checking what aircraft my friends would prefer. Having done 747 last time I'd like to go for the 777 but I'm fine with either if it helps with the numbers.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeBus
Can I amend my reservation to Boebus+2 please? I'm checking what aircraft my friends would prefer. Having done 747 last time I'd like to go for the 777 but I'm fine with either if it helps with the numbers.
Thanks, so you and two other people? Are you happy with either date? Don't worry I won't split your group.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks, so you and two other people? Are you happy with either date? Don't worry I won't split your group.
Yes please, 3 of us in total. Either date is fine and having checked with the guys, we'd like to go for the 777 please.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
I'd really like to get in on this this year. Either week works for me, although I agree I prefer the 2nd week just to minimize the leave used.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
I've just talked someone into coming with me so:
Me + 1
Either date
Either plane

-- ta very
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I would be very interested in joining if there is still space.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeBus
Yes please, 3 of us in total. Either date is fine and having checked with the guys, we'd like to go for the 777 please.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Soddon
I'd really like to get in on this this year. Either week works for me, although I agree I prefer the 2nd week just to minimize the leave used.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by memesweeper
I've just talked someone into coming with me so:
Me + 1
Either date
Either plane

-- ta very
Thanks. All noted and added now.

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I would be very interested in joining if there is still space.
Hi Premier Owl. Yes there is still some space. Any preference on dates or aircraft?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Double slot please if possible like last time.

Type rated on 77, so happy with that or 744. Any date is fine.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I'd like to come along to this is possible, I can do either date, but would prefer the 747 if possible .
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S
I'd like to come along to this is possible, I can do either date, but would prefer the 747 if possible .
Thanks S_W_S, I have added you to the wiki.

Originally Posted by danielbk
Double slot please if possible like last time.

Type rated on 77, so happy with that or 744. Any date is fine.
Hi danielbk, I don't think we can do double slots this year unfortunately so would a single slot be ok?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I am good either date and either a/c is good for me..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.