Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777. One of the 747 simulators is actually going this year so you may want to try them before they all go. No one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should) try.

Previous Trip Reports for the Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

Attendees and Groups
See post 127 for the group lists - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28614931-post127.html

Standby list -

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015 and 2016 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Flights

BA835 DUB-LHR (ETA: 1425) EI147, datschi
BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA,
BA753 BSL-LHR (ETA: 1240) florens

BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA, S_W_S

Hotels

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: florens, KARFA, flatlander
Sheraton Heathrow: headinclouds

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: KARFA, S_W_S

Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
@Premier Owl this is becoming very urgent now.

I really need passport details please this week. Also I have sent a PM to you on 2 October with information for the day and instructions on paying - please call to pay this week.

As I noted right at the start each person is responsible for their share of the costs once they have committed. It would be completely unfair if someone commits then doesn't pay and doesn't show up since someone else will have to cover that cost.

If for any reason you now can't make it please let me know so we can try and work something out. However, unless we can find a replacement you are still responsible for your share.
Have you managed to resolve this yet?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Have you managed to resolve this yet?
Unfortunately no contact. We have been exchanging PMs within the group going on 27th and I have also spoken to BA yesterday and we have a plan for dealing with it we think.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Unfortunately no contact. We have been exchanging PMs within the group going on 27th and I have also spoken to BA yesterday and we have a plan for dealing with it we think.
Poor show KARFA, it’s grossly unfair when this happens - especially given the costs involved.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Poor show KARFA, it’s grossly unfair when this happens - especially given the costs involved.
Is anyone still on a waitlist who could fill in at the last moment?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is anyone still on a waitlist who could fill in at the last moment?
We have tried the couple of possibles I had on the list and no joy sadly.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Now boarding at BSL. Very excited already!
Soddon likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens
Now boarding at BSL. Very excited already!
I am getting my hair cut! Flight at 1425
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
45 minute departure delay due to wind at LHR
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
If you need someone to fill Premier Owl's slot I am now free on the 27th.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakaix
If you need someone to fill Premier Owl's slot I am now free on the 27th.
PM sent
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: None anymore
Hot tip for future sim outings... add extra excitement to your day by booking yourself on a flight to LHR that doesn't give you much spare time for delays then, on the day, watch the delays creep in.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Does anyone know if FNC (LPMA) is in the BA 747-400 sim's database?

(A 747-200 has operated to FNC)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:53 am

I’m going to be leaving Essex now to head over, probably going to do a bit of plane spotting (with the big camera) before I head to the Hilton. Anyone got any tips as to where is best to go and see them landing or taking off?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
I’m going to be leaving Essex now to head over, probably going to do a bit of plane spotting (with the big camera) before I head to the Hilton. Anyone got any tips as to where is best to go and see them landing or taking off?
myrtle avenue is near Hatton Cross and I * think* it good for afternoon landings this week.

edited to add:

Yes, 27L is in use from 15.00

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...ramme_2017.pdf

Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:30 am

Checked in at HGI with a view of the BA hanger etc. The restaurant opens at 5, but I believe that you can order some food at the bar. Will be wearing 'safety' orange slicker/shirt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.