Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777. One of the 747 simulators is actually going this year so you may want to try them before they all go. No one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should) try.

Previous Trip Reports for the Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

Attendees and Groups
See post 127 for the group lists - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28614931-post127.html

Standby list -

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015 and 2016 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Flights

BA835 DUB-LHR (ETA: 1425) EI147, datschi
BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA,
BA753 BSL-LHR (ETA: 1240) florens

BA1343 LBA-LHR (ETA: 1535) KARFA, S_W_S

Hotels

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: florens, KARFA, flatlander
Sheraton Heathrow: headinclouds

Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at Hatton Cross: KARFA, S_W_S

Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 20/27 October 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:49 pm

Thanks KARFA; schedule looks fine with me.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Well, off to book some planes and rooms. Soddon mentioned some good ex-USA fares but I could not find them. I was planning an avios redemption, but not if there are some decent fares. How easy is late nite travel to Bath Road, where the SPG/Marriott hotels are located from the simulators? Last, but not least, thanks to KARFA.
I think buses run all night, so does the tube.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by florens
I think buses run all night, so does the tube.
I have just booked The Premier Inn, 15 Bath Road, Hounslow, Middlesex, TW6 2AB for the bargain price of £29.50 for the room. I added in the Premier Inn breakfasts for 2 (me and wife) for a grand total of £51. We have stayed here before and really liked it. There's a bar and restaurant in the hotel itself as opposed to being in a separate building like some Premier Inns. There's also a raised area with a few benches at the far end of the car park where you can sit and watch aircraft landing on the north runway (weather and wind permitting).

We will have a car there so can most likely offer a lift back for a few people if anyone else is going back to that general area on 20th October. I'm in 747 Group 3.

If you do want to book that particular Premier Inn just double check you have got the right one as there are several others around Heathrow.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I've booked the Hilton Garden Inn for the 27th, still got to book flights.

Edit: Booked my flights now, I'm on the following:
BA1343 Fri 27th October
BA1344 Sun 29th October

Could someone update the wiki for me please?

Last edited by S_W_S; Jul 27, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well, off to book some planes and rooms. Soddon mentioned some good ex-USA fares but I could not find them. I was planning an avios redemption, but not if there are some decent fares. How easy is late nite travel to Bath Road, where the SPG/Marriott hotels are located from the simulators? Last, but not least, thanks to KARFA.
423 from Hatton Cross to Harlington Corner and on Bath Road is probably the best - it's free and runs every 30 minutes after 11. Last one is about 0030 though. Other than that uber will be plentiful and probably £5.

Tube does run all night but will only take you to T123 and T5 or T4 which is not going to be of much use going to Bath Road.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeec
I have just booked The Premier Inn, 15 Bath Road, Hounslow, Middlesex, TW6 2AB for the bargain price of £29.50 for the room. I added in the Premier Inn breakfasts for 2 (me and wife) for a grand total of £51. We have stayed here before and really liked it. There's a bar and restaurant in the hotel itself as opposed to being in a separate building like some Premier Inns. There's also a raised area with a few benches at the far end of the car park where you can sit and watch aircraft landing on the north runway (weather and wind permitting).

We will have a car there so can most likely offer a lift back for a few people if anyone else is going back to that general area on 20th October. I'm in 747 Group 3.

If you do want to book that particular Premier Inn just double check you have got the right one as there are several others around Heathrow.
I have stayed there quite a bit and it's perfectly good, especially for that kind of price. I have quite a few T3 trips this year and have used this Premier Inn for £30. Otherwise the new one at T4 seems to be similarly cheap atm - yet to stay there but will try it in September.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:01 am

I'm only coming from Essex so I'll be driving. Is there parking available or nearby?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
I'm only coming from Essex so I'll be driving. Is there parking available or nearby?

Thanks!
Looking at the notes from last year we were offered parking very close to Vanguard House where we meet up so you should be fine. I will send the specific instructions closer to the date.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm tempted to travel out from Central London by Motorbike rather than Tube for this, so would be hoping to park nearby.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Looking at the notes from last year we were offered parking very close to Vanguard House where we meet up so you should be fine. I will send the specific instructions closer to the date.
Great, thank you
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mikeec

Hello, partner !! Same group as you. Those are good prices, but I saw a package for Virgin Atlantic flights IAD-LHR-IAD + 2 nights at the HGI for $760 all in. I thought that was a good deal, but may need to reconsider. Thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
Hey, sorry for the slow reply. I rarely see cheap Y BA fares from PHL direct to LHR. Does happen, but not frequently. I was kinda thinking about taking advantage of the IAD-ATH J fare and then flying back to LHR. Gives me a bonus vacation and another country or two en route. :-D.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Quick question, does anyone know @cl65amg ? He seems not to have singed in to FT since 3 July. Have sent him a PM too but no reponse. Bit concerning that after comitting he has gone awol.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Sorry @KARFA, been out of the country on a project for a while and just came back last night.
Yes, I can confirm attendance.I understand I have been allocated to a three people group which I have no problem with. Thanks for all the arrangements.
Also I will be driving up from Esher, if anyone is nearby, I can offer a ride.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cl65amg
Sorry @KARFA, been out of the country on a project for a while and just came back last night.
Yes, I can confirm attendance.I understand I have been allocated to a three people group which I have no problem with. Thanks for all the arrangements.
Also I will be driving up from Esher, if anyone is nearby, I can offer a ride.
Hi cl6amg. No problem. Welcome back

Yes, so you are in a group on 27 October. It will be a 4 group, I need to confirm person 4 as it may be one of two people, but regardless of who it is it will definately be 4 of you in that 747.

There should be parking nearby in one of the BA car parks should you need it. I will send details closer to the date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.