In (partial) defense of CW

Old Apr 2, 17, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
Was around five years ago.
With all due respect, that is not possible.
Five years ago, all of CX longhaul fleet was equipped with flat beds.
They started to replace the first-generation flat beds (herringbone style a la Virgin) by the reverse herringbone Cirrus seat in early 2011. You might have had the "old" herringbone seat, but no way you could get a cradle seat after 2010.
There is also no way you could get a regional ac, as no such CX plane could fly the long HKG-LHR route. That is just physically impossible. As Orbitmic points out, the reverse (a longhaul ac on a regional route) does happen.

Anyway we are talking about today, not many years ago. CX has currently the same seat on all its longhaul ac; and that solo seat is much better than BA NCW or NNCW.
Old Apr 2, 17, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Indeed it's all a matter of preference. The seats have to be fitted in somehow.

Its 2-4-2 on BA with no coffin, or 1-2-1 on airlines with a foot coffin and direct aisle access.

Each to their own.
Exactly, I personally mind the so-called 'foot coffin' as little as I mind facing rearwards and do enjoy the privacy and freedom of 1-2-1 a lot more than the alternative. My feet and legs fit amply in the CX/QR/AA/IB/AF/etc seats and the fact that a little bit above is the seat in front does not bother me in the least.

The new CW seat will indeed allegedly involve direct aisle access from all seats which is a plus, but there will still be only 25% of seats with some privacy and 75% of seats that I will want to avoid. Give me a 'foot coffin' any day.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 2, 17 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 2, 17, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Exactly, I personally mind the so-called 'foot coffin' as little as I mind facing rearwards and do enjoy the privacy and freedom of 1-2-1 a lot more than the alternative. My feet and legs fit amply in the CX/QR/AA/IB/AF/etc seats and the fact that a little bit above is the seat in front does not bother me in the least.

The new CW seat will indeed allegedly involve direct aisle access from all seats which is a plus, but there will still be only 25% of seats with some privacy and 75% of seats that I will want to avoid. Give me a 'seat coffin' any day.
Exactly. I'm 6'2 with size 12 feet and the 'foot coffin' doesn't bother me - some people's feet must be really huge to be bothered by it.

I much prefer the privacy and direct aisle access of the AA seat.
Old Apr 2, 17, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by bafan View Post
Exactly. I'm 6'2 with size 12 feet and the 'foot coffin' doesn't bother me - some people's feet must be really huge to be bothered by it.

I much prefer the privacy and direct aisle access of the AA seat.
It's not the size of my feet that's the problem I don't like sleeping where my feet can't move laterally or vertically.
Old Apr 2, 17, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Those airlines with foot coffins are trying to get more seats in length ways resulting in part of your personal space being under the seat in front. BA is trying to get more seats in width ways and none of your personal space is under the seat in front.Every North America and European carrier that I've found doing transatlantic crossings has seats that have foot coffins. From Air Canada to United, from Aer Lingus to Lufthansa they all have these and for me that's a big no no. The current CW seat isn't perfect and when direct aisle access for every seat appears (shortly) then it will have improved a lot.

You might be happy with your feet under the seat in front and that's fine but I prefer to pay not to have to do that. Probably reminds me of Economy too much.
The 'foot coffins' come in different shapes and forms, some are pretty bad, others are fine. And I'm willing to accept a 'foot coffin' any time if I can be a 1 in a 1-2-1 setup.
Old Apr 2, 17, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
It's not the size of my feet that's the problem I don't like sleeping where my feet can't move laterally or vertically.
Can't you? I turn a lot when I rest/sleep on a plane, I am not particularly small, and my feet have never felt unduly restricted either horizontally or vertically in the Cirrus or the Super Diamond seats. I accept that different people have different habits, feelings, morphologies, etc so I have certainly no intention whatsoever to tell anyone else they should like those seats if they don't, but for me personally, I have certainly never felt that my feet were trapped or restricted in those seats, and indeed, even the label foot coffin continues to puzzle me a little.
Old Apr 2, 17, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Can't you? I turn a lot when I rest/sleep on a plane, I am not particularly small, and my feet have never felt unduly restricted either horizontally or vertically in the Cirrus or the Super Diamond seats. I accept that different people have different habits, feelings, morphologies, etc so I have certainly no intention whatsoever to tell anyone else they should like those seats if they don't, but for me personally, I have certainly never felt that my feet were trapped or restricted in those seats, and indeed, even the label foot coffin continues to puzzle me a little.
That's fine for you and obviously I feel differently, everyone has different priorities. I tried the Continental Airlines seat at the Business Travel Show a few years ago and I was impressed with most of the seat. When in the sleeping position however my feet felt boxed in and I wasn't keen. I tried my usual starting sleeping position of having my legs crossed and the space wasn't tall enough. The seat had some nice features but I didn't like having to put my feet under the seat in front. Might just be psychological but it felt uncomfortable and restrictive.
Old Apr 3, 17, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
The big advantage of the coffin seat for me is the ability to watch the screen from gate to gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: