FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   In (partial) defense of CW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1833118-partial-defense-cw.html)

smokie36 Mar 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Last time I flew business with CX from HKG to LHR I had a cradle seat for 13 hours so on reflection I will always take BA on this route.

Consistency works better for me.

Gig103 Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

I like the CW seating and would add the following benefits to your list:
1) The folding & sliding tray table so you can exit the seat with it out
2) The footrest (I think this is personal preference but I like the Z-seating
3) With another person, facing each other during the flight for conversation
4) on the 747 UD (for now) the passenger:crew ratio and overall calm/quiet of the cabin can't be beat

My wife likes the privacy of the windows but that was already addressed

I don't like paying for J and being asked for money to choose seats. Especially since OW Sapphire is not typical for me, and in the past I haven't even been OW Ruby. Seat assignment fees are obnoxious in the premium cabin.

I get that some couples or families can find benefit in the inside pair, but it would be nice if those were only every other row, so that business/solo travelers don't have to pay extra to be sure and avoid them. My opinion (not that Cruz asked!) it would go like this
2-4-2 (current)
2-3-2 (Dreamliner seat config)
2-4-2
2-3-2
etc.etc.

But obviously cutting so many seats wouldn't happen, especially as long as they are filling up.

stevehh Mar 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 28110205)
Yes, yes, we get it. The A and K seats are amazing, especially on the upper deck. Well done! 1 in 4 seats.

Now try being a Gold, paying full fare for a last minute ticket (i.e. the most profitable ticket that BA could possibly sell), and finding an A or K seat on the Friday night flight back from JFK, Sunday night from LHR to JNB/DXB, etc

Basically, it's lovely if you can book early and nab one of the good seats, and I don't mind it for leisure travel where I can book it well in advance

But for last minute business, I can't guarantee a good night's sleep if I'm stuck next to a snoring stranger in an E or F (why isn't there a divider like on Every Other Airline), or if people are padding up and down next to an aisle seat, but maybe you lot don't mind that?

I am perfectly happy in a B or a J aisle seat. Even better when my wife is in the A or K next to me.

smokie36 Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 28112445)
I like the CW seating and would add the following benefits to your list:
1) The folding & sliding tray table so you can exit the seat with it out
2) The footrest (I think this is personal preference but I like the Z-seating
3) With another person, facing each other during the flight for conversation
4) on the 747 UD (for now) the passenger:crew ratio and overall calm/quiet of the cabin can't be beat

My wife likes the privacy of the windows but that was already addressed

I don't like paying for J and being asked for money to choose seats. Especially since OW Sapphire is not typical for me, and in the past I haven't even been OW Ruby. Seat assignment fees are obnoxious in the premium cabin.

I get that some couples or families can find benefit in the inside pair, but it would be nice if those were only every other row, so that business/solo travelers don't have to pay extra to be sure and avoid them. My opinion (not that Cruz asked!) it would go like this
2-4-2 (current)
2-3-2 (Dreamliner seat config)
2-4-2
2-3-2
etc.etc.

But obviously cutting so many seats wouldn't happen, especially as long as they are filling up.

Originally Posted by stevehh (Post 28112541)
I am perfectly happy in a B or a J aisle seat. Even better when my wife is in the A or K next to me.

Yes I have one of those trouser wearers too lol!

elitetraveler Mar 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36 (Post 28112341)
Last time I flew business with CX from HKG to LHR I had a cradle seat for 13 hours so on reflection I will always take BA on this route.

Consistency works better for me.

That must be at least 5 years ago now -- all CX lh J is now reverse herring bone.

I tend to switch when i find something better - for example, BR usually is much cheaper than CX from the US to Asia, essentially the same seat product and better inflight food and drinks.

smokie36 Mar 31, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 28112682)
That must be at least 5 years ago now -- all CX lh J is now reverse herring bone.

Thanks for confirming that too as I hate those seats as well.

kt74 Mar 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by obduro (Post 28110255)
People have different preferences, wants and needs. There's not really a need to chastise them for saying CW as a product is perfectly fine but limited.

As for the buying a ticket last minute...well that's not really got anything to do with the product has it?

Consistency of seating, and therefore whether you reserve first or last, has *everything* to do with the product. Praising CW seats, when you only mean the small handful that you personally approve of, means that you won't mind trading 64A with me, the next time I'm stuck next to a snorer in 13E

With herringbone-type seats, it pretty much doesn't matter when you book or which seat you get, they are all very similar, all private, don't need to step over/be stepped over and you will get a similar, consistently good sleeping experience. That's true of CX, VS, SQ, the new AA seats to JFK. Don't matter if you book first or last, the seats are equally good, and nobody is disappointed

With BA, there are a handful of fantastic seats which are "better than first class" (64A/K), some very good seats (windows), and many, many very bad seats (aisle or middle seats as a solo passenger on overnight flights) on every flight. It would be fine if these were always strictly allocated according to fare paid or status of passenger, but they're not...

IAN-UK Mar 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by cbyrne92 (Post 28109778)
- I have found that the BA crews tend to be reliably more welcoming with a greater freedom to express their personalities and employ 'outside of the box' thinking to improve the customer experience (although I do understand the poor treatment and working conditions suffered by the QR staff so this is not to be unexpected).

:confused:

not this old chestnut resurrected !!!

IAN-UK Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 28112863)
With BA, there are a handful of fantastic seats which are "better than first class" (64A/K), some very good seats (windows), and many, many very bad seats (aisle or middle seats as a solo passenger on overnight flights) on every flight.

spot on

would be fine if these were always strictly allocated according to fare paid or status of passenger, but they're not...

but then you spoil it. Bad seats are bad seats: seems you're suggesting they stop being bad seats if they are given to ex-EUs or Bronzers :eek:

Jimmie76 Mar 31, 2017 3:40 pm

With herringbone-type seats, it pretty much doesn't matter when you book or which seat you get, they are all very similar, all private, don't need to step over/be stepped over and you will get a similar, consistently good sleeping experience. That's true of CX, VS, SQ, the new AA seats to JFK. Don't matter if you book first or last, the seats are equally good, and nobody is disappointed

I'm disappointed if I get on a plane and there's a foot coffin normally with a tapering foot space. That's true of CX, SQ, the new AA seats to JFK. On VS they don't have the foot coffin but the seat is the wrong way round and they do have a seriously tapering seat to the feet area (ottoman). So all of those seats are going to disappoint me. You also seem to be suggesting that the only people who fly are solo travellers. Some people travel as couples and like the E/F seats.

AmaaiZeg Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

I love the privacy of the window seat on long haul flights where I can watch soppy movies and shed a tear without anyone noticing. Loved the 'Danish girl' on our last long haul. Would not be happy sitting in an aisle seat but got an agreement with hubby whereby he gets the window seat on all our short hauls. Looking forward to watching 'Lalaland' in April, hope it is good dance moves and not a tear jerker!

lavar56 Mar 31, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm must say we've loved the CW facing each other seats as a couple flying for leisure- especially on a day flight. Makes the experience much more social and personal than our flights in F (bar buddy dining).

lavar56 Mar 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg (Post 28113118)
Looking forward to watching 'Lalaland' in April, hope it is good dance moves and not a tear jerker!

I foresee tears! #nospoilers

Crampedin13A Mar 31, 2017 6:52 pm

My problem with CW is the lack of accessible storage. But as a Gold since FLY was introduced I've had the aisle seat next to me unoccupied on 3 of my last 4 CW which means I've been able to throw all the blankets pillows newspapers etc on that seat and it has made a big difference in the whole flight experience. Until FLY I had never had an unoccupied seat next to me in CW as on my route they usually totally ram the CW cabin with op-upgrades from WTP

TangoOneSeven Mar 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 28113553)
My problem with CW is the lack of accessible storage......

this is really my only issue with CW. I for one, am pretty happy with the CW product, esp the refreshed A380 and 787 product.